1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Vaccintation Shots

I know that this is a controversial subject, but I want to ask anyway.  I chose to get Bella vaccinated with everything.  She got all of her shots on 9/7 and did great with them.  I gave her a bath this past Sunday and all was good.  However, last night we found a bump on her right hip.  I dont see any marks or anything to lead me to believe that she got bit.  My boyfriend thinks that it is a delayed reaction to her shots, but that seems VERY delayed to me.  Any ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Vaccintation Shots

She shouldn't have a bump/inflammation.  Call your vet or take her back over there before they close and have them examine her.  Assume it is related to the vaccinations if it is near the injection site.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Holy cow - she is cute in that pic!  Looks like a mini Ewok!

Is it a big bump?  Could she have walked into something?  Or a little bump, like maybe she has a mole that you just never noticed before?  Just throwing out ideas.  Probably best to call/email the vet with your concern.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

It is a big enough bump that there is no way I could have missed it, especially when I gave her a bath 2 days ago.  My boyfriend is always telling me that I am a hypocondriac when it come to my baby, and my response is OF COURSE I AM!!!

P.S. We were driving to PA and she wanted her turn at driving I think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, beth, I'd get it checked out if it were Gracie.  It could be anything (I have no ideas), hopefully it's "nothing."   We're always taking Gracie to the vet, and it was always the best thing for her each and every time.  Ignorning it would have been a problem.  So, that's all I can suggest!

LOVE the photo!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

my bet is the vet is going to say it is not related - it may be and it may not be - but i would have him look at it anyway - i would also next time have each shot given separately two weeks apart -- i only do rabies cause i am a non-believer in the vacs - but most places i've read say to give the shots at least two weeks apart so they don't get all that junk in their system at once -- good luck -- my emma is scratching and itching like crazy right now - must be allergic to grass/weed pollen -- no marks on her, no bumps, i've tried honey - its driving me nuts to see her so uncomfortable but she does this with the season change each year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Was the bump on the injection site? If not..I doubt that it is an allergic reaction..but I would have it checked out by the vet anyhow. Is it painful to the touch..? The size of ..say a mosquito bite or bigger? Is your dog trying to scratch it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lukes brings up a good point - I also got Gracie vaccinated for "everything," and I had to go in 3 times to do it in a spread out fashion.  The vet didn't give me the choice to get them done all at once, and she's NOT a money-grubber vet, either.  There have been plenty of times she's chosen to not see Gracie, but to tell me how to deal with a problem, so she's not prone to bring her in unnecessarily.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Bethany,

I can't get over how much Bella looks like Amber when she was a puppy : )  Regarding the lumps, Amber has always had some and still does.  Shih Tzu's are prone to cysts and warts.  Amber currently has a bleeding wart on the top of her head.  It is not cancerous, just looks bad, but she is too old for surgery. I would have your vet check it out, but it is not uncommon in Shih Tzu's. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

She's a cutie!

The right hip would be the same general area my vet gives shots, though it does seem a bit delayed for it to be a reaction to them.  Having said that I'd definetly contact your vet.  If possible see try emailing, or just leaving a message, for the vet and see what they think.  Most likely they'll tell you to bring her in, just to be safe though.

I gotta agree with the others though, as convient as it is to have all the shots done at once, I highly recommend spreading them out by at least two weeks between each one (my pup's breeder recommends 4 weeks).  To help cut down on the cost of the multiple visits see if the shots can be done via a vet tech visit instead of a doctor visit. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Are these Bella's puppy shots (sorry, forgot how old she is) or annual boosters?  How many are we talking about?

The puppy shots, if I remember correctly were staggered.  And for annuals, Jax only got 2 - the distember combo and rabies.  He gets bordatella, too, but its a nose spray.  They have 3 year vaccines now, too, and I set him up to get those, so he will end up getting just a rabies one year (good for three), then just a distemper the next year (good for three) then a year off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

wow - i expected to get slammed for saying to spread them out - but everyone here agrees -- when i got emma i asked the vet to spread out her puppy shots - i didn't want her getting them all at once and she laughed at me and poked her with the needles -- i never went back there again and its a big time operation in danvers -- i'm glad everyone else got the message and your vets are on board with it -- a few years ago when i got emma, everyone thought i was nuts to request that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

In Response to Re: Vaccintation Shots:
    [QUOTE]wow - i expected to get slammed for saying to spread them out - but everyone here agrees -- when i got emma i asked the vet to spread out her puppy shots - i didn't want her getting them all at once and she laughed at me and poked her with the needles -- i never went back there again and its a big time operation in danvers -- i'm glad everyone else got the message and your vets are on board with it -- a few years ago when i got emma, everyone thought i was nuts to request that.
    Posted by lukeseri58[/QUOTE]

Oh I had to change vets over it.  We didn't vaccinate for everything either, much less do everything at once.  I got this great big lecture about how "thats the WRONG way to do it, and you're putting your dog at risk, and I'm going to make you sign a waiver that you're going against MY advice, and I'm the VET you know, I went to VET SCHOOL, and NO one else in the area is going to do what you want either!!!"  She then tried to charge me almost 5 times the average going rate to have the titer done.  Strange how my new vet, once I explained how I wanted his shots done, said "oh, we've had more and more people wanting to vaccinate that way, we'll work with you."  Talk about a different attitude.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

my vet had us stagger the shots when he was a puppy, just in case. After he turned 3, and had never had a bad reaction, he started getting them "all at once"
    I put it in quotes because he rarely needs distemper and rabies at the same time, seeing as though distemper's good for 2 years and rabies is good for 3.

Living in the city, I vacc him on pretty much everything. You never know what the other dogs might have, especially because so many people aren't getting the shots anymore. And there are lots of rats in the city. They're usually too fast for him, but God forbid...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

See, I don't have a problem with that (though you may want to consider staggering them again as he gets into the old age range of things).  You considered your surroundings, and what your dog could be exposed to, and how much control you have over that, and made your decision as to what vaccines were needed, and that really is all I would expect.  What gets me is how many vets just assume you're gonig to vaccinate for everything and aren't willing to discuss exposure risks and possiblities.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

Thank you all for the advise.  I was away for a couple of days so I missed most of these.  To try to answer some of the questions, Bella was a year old in May, so that makes her about 16 months.  She had 3 shots, rabies, lyme and distemper, 1 in each hip and 1 in the shoulder.  These were her annual shots, and we made it in time so that she will be ona 3 year cycle for some of them (Rabies I think).The bump reminds me of a swollen gland in a human, like when we have a sore throat and our glands are swollen.  It doesn't seem to bother her, she lets us touch it and check it out.  She is scratching a lot lately, and I chalked that up to allergies as well.  The vet did suggest that if her scratching got really bad that we could give her a little benedryl, but I can't seem to bring myself to do that for some reason. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bethanyrosevear. Show bethanyrosevear's posts

I have an appointment tomorrow morning!!!!  Bella will be thrilled I am sure.  My vet has suggested the benedryl, I have the dosage at hom, but it just makes me nervous.  I know how benedryl makes me feel and to give it to my little baby...it just kills me.  But I suppose it is better than letting her suffer with the itchy

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

bethany, benedryl is the safest thing out there and will really help.  I gave it to Gracie (after she got an initial shot of it at the vet's) when she had hives for about a week.  When it wore off, the hives came back for that time.  Anyway, aside from it making her sleepy, she was totally fine, eating and acting well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

I've given benedryl to my pup (after discussion and recommendation by his vet), it might have made him a little drowsy, but not signifigantly, and it helped ALOT with some major itching he had.  We never did figure out what was making him itch, but 3 days on benedryl cleared it up.  The vet said a 25mg pill for him (he was just about 30lbs at the time) up to 4 times a day, we ended up only giving it to him 2 or 3 times a day, basically when he started itching really badly.  I don't blame you for being leary of giving it, but if the itching is making her miserable too it might be worth it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i am one of those no meds people -- for myself and my pup - but when emma is really itchy - she gets fall allergies terribly -- i give it to her -- i even had one homeopathic vet tell me that giving it for bad itching was fine -- so i do it every now and then -- my sister gives her 11 pound dog benedryl once in a while too -- it makes them a little drowsy is all and it stops the itching -- thus preventing my emma from giving herself a hot spot

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

All medications have the potential for side effects, including over the counter ones ...

I wouldn't only give it unless your vet said it was okay                                 

The Side effects of Diphenhydramne in Pets

Common side-effects include: drowsiness and mild disorientation. Others include: dry mouth, diarrhea, vomiting, urinary retention, agitation, problems breathing, and lack of appetite. Some of the side-effects may be prevented. To prevent your pet from vomiting, give the medication with food. And to prevent appetite disturbances, feed your pet before administering the medication. In case of any side-effects, contact a veterinarian

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

i know of vets who have advised people to treat with benadryl three times a day for itching/allergies -- i do it less than once a month -- but lots of vets give that advice -- i know at least 5 people with different vets who have advised that -- and i certainly would rather give benadryl than pump my pup up with steriods which is the usual vet answer for unidentifable cause for itching (my belief - seasonal allergies)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

undermedicating with benedryl allows for the allergic reaction/histamines to keep making the dog itch.  Either follow the vet's instructions with it or don't give it at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Definetly follow the vet's instructions, but if nessecary get them to clarify too.  My vet specifically said "up to" 4 times a day "as needed", and that if he wasn't itching then he didn't need it.  I do have to add that although we never figured out what exactly triggered his itching we're pretty sure it was something he came in contact with when digging a new hole in the brush at the edge of the yard.  We've kept him away from that general area since and he's had no problems.

I'd also rather treat with benedryl than shots of steroids.  If the benedryl doesn't solve the problem thats one thing, but if I can solve the problem with a few days of benedryl then there's no point of risking messing with the immune system with steroids.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Ruth, I have to tell you that your dog (sorry forgot his name) has such a sad face and soulful eyes that I would have to give him everything he wanted!  Just the cutest face ever.

Sections
Shortcuts