1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

What are you giving your dog trainer for the holidays?

What are you giving your dog trainer for the holidays?

My dog's go to all-day training once a week plus an evening class every 2 weeks.  The facility is owner run and there are a couple of assistants.  The place is great and I love the assistants.

I was planning to give the assistants a holiday cash gratuity.  But what to do for the owner who is also the primary trainer?  Is a cash gratuity the appropriate way to show appreciation or is that crass?  Should I get her a small gift instead?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What are you giving your dog trainer for the holidays?

Hi, DWL. :)  

I think a cash gift would be appropriate and generous of you, not crass at all.  Cash for friends/family isn't so polite, but for any service provider I think it's great even for an owner of the business.

ETA:  However, if you definitely don't want to do cash, I have had excellent reviews of gifts from Fruit Basket King.  They go above and beyond for the money.  My in-laws are always polite but are used to "the best" so it's scary to order things like that sight unseen.  They raved.  And, when we went to visit them in FL last year, she pulled out the stacked boxes it came in to show us how beautiful and reusable they are.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Holiday bonus for daycare provider?    I think you should check this thread in  Parents General forum... maybe you'll get some ideas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I just don't feel right "tipping" the owner.  I figure she's getting my money whenever I use her and if she needed more money, then she'd raise her rates.  I would prefer giving the owner and her assistants a gift rather than money but I figure the assistants aren't paid as well as the owner and therefore the extra cash would be more useful (they are younger than the owner). 

If I were into baking or had some other talent, then I would gladly create something more personal.  I figure people enjoy any expression of appreciation.

I was thinking of getting the owner of the pet training facility something from Yardbirds.  Yardbirds are sculptures made from tools and stuff.  they have everything from dogs and cats to horses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

How about a gift certificate?  People are funny ... just because an item appeals to you doesn't mean they will appreciate it.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DWL, what did you decide?  Art is such a matter of personal taste imo that I'd hesitate to do that.  My grandmother didn't get me at all, bought all sorts of things that, yes, I appreciate, but frankly dislike.  Now that she's gone, I've got most of it earmarked for our next yardsale.

I don't think a Christmas gift is quite the same as "tipping the owner" even if it is cash in a nice appreciation/Christmas card or a gift certificate.  If she purchases treats and other such training necessities, a GC to wherever she buys those would definitely be appreciated and liked.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GypsySix. Show GypsySix's posts

I train my own dog....why would you get a pet and have someone else train it? Isn't the point of a pet the time YOU are supposed to spend with it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Re: What are you giving your dog trainer for the holidays?:
    [QUOTE]I train my own dog....why would you get a pet and have someone else train it? Isn't the point of a pet the time YOU are supposed to spend with it?
    Posted by GypsySix[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Thank you.    PS:  People will spend all kinds of money on fancy dog beds, supplements, trainers, day care, etc.  and then balk at paying the vet for professional services!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I train my own dog....why would you get a pet and have someone else train it? Isn't the point of a pet the time YOU are supposed to spend with it?

I'd never had a dog before and got a lot out of puppy kindergarten.  It was more to teach me how to train her rather than to get her all trained for me.  In fact, she was the worst puppy there - I left in tears every week.  But, by using what I learned in that training class, Gracie became a wonderfully obedient and well behaved dog we are very pleased with.  I suppose I could have figured it out on my own by trial and error, but it was very helpful to have a professional dog trainer hold my hand at the beginning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I don't think most people send their dog alone to night training classes - these are done WITH THE OWNER working the dog so that the owner learns how to train the dog to heel, sit, come, stay, whatever.  The dog trainer is simply someone with more knowledge about how to train a dog, since that person has studied it, or at least has done it with lots of dogs, and many people have only the one dog.

But then, I also believe in sending children to school - I figure the 3rd grade teacher, the high school teacher, etc. knows how to teach science, math, literature, whatever, much better than I would, given they are professionals, and whatnot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

CT-DC, absolutely right.  In fact, they should call them owner classes, not puppy classes.  The latter is misleading for sure about who the student actually is.  

Sections
Shortcuts