1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

What do you look for in a kennel?

Check out these local kennels that pamper your pet.

http://www.boston.com/community/pets/kennels-that-pamper-pets-around-boston/ctkw73nVeaKW4QISNXfAjM/gallery.html

What do you think of some of these services? Condos, massage, flat-screen TVs, SKYPE, play groups...

Do you have a favorite kennel you'd recommend to other pet owners? What do you look for in a kennel?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Re: Do you have a favorite kennel?

I prefer to pay a pet sitter/walker or a family member to come to the house several times per day to check on the dogs and take care of their needs.  

I think it is less stressful for the pets if they can remain in their own home. 

Although pets are supposed to be up to date with vaccinations; I have never been asked to provide proof or paperwork by any kennel!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from flychick. Show flychick's posts

Re: What do you look for in a kennel?

Before we adopted our dog, we scouted out kennels as we knew we'd need to board him on occasion.  A kennel that was clean, had indoor/outdoor runs, plenty of outside time, opportunity for play time with other dogs, offered a consistent daily routine for their boarders and had a staff that clearly loved to be working there were our main requirements.  

We checked out recommendations from friends and also online and are very happy with the one we chose (we're out of state or I'd recommend them here). The extras we always pay for are extended daily walks and bathing/grooming. Most kennels near us don't offer what's noted in the orginal post and even if our kennel offered them, I doubt we'd use those services. 

Kennels aren't the answer for every pet/owner but then again, neither is a house sitter or leaving your pet alone in the house and have someone check on them. For us, our kennel is great and our dog loves it there and they just adore him. We're very comfortable knowing he's in good hands in a safe environment when we're out of town.

Side note: All kennels we looked at were very up front with their vaccination requirements and policies, and of course we made sure our dog had all of his and stays current.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EngineerChic. Show EngineerChic's posts

After the fire at a kennel in NH, I make sure there is staff on site 24 hrs a day.  We use a dog daycare that also does cage-free boarding and there is someone at the facility overnight.  It works out well since its a familiar place for our dog (we use the daycare 2x/week).  Even so, he is super-happy to come home and usually sleeps for most of the first day he's back.

I feel as though having someone there with the dogs means if there is ever a serious threat (like a fire) the dogs have a better chance of being rescued from it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We board Gracie at a family owned commercial farm and kennel run by the dog trainer who we've worked with since Gracie was a puppy including a puppy kindergarten class. She's an excellent trainer and is knowledgeable about dog health. In fact, she was the one who alerted us to Gracie's probably having a ligament tear instead of a garden variety sprain. She requires proof of vaccination and stool testing w/in 10 days before boarding. The kennels are spacious and climate controlled. The clientele is a short list so Gracie always knows her mates. The owner only allows dogs of similar sizes and play styles to play at the same time and they are always supervised in free play. Free play is in a gigantic mowed field enclosed in an unjumpable chain link fence. Health needs are accommodated; when Gracie was still recovering from surgery she was only allowed to play by herself. If we didn't have this kennel I don't know what we'd do. She isn't accepting new clients so we got in under the wire.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The amount of money being spent by people on their dogs is incredible. I'm tempted to quit my job and take all my cash and open one of thse posh places. My dogs are spoiled but in a good way. They get lots and lots of training. Once a week, they have day school. It's like doggie day care but it's highly structured and involves a lot training. We use the same place when we need to board the dogs. They go home with one of the trainers and get to go hiking. They also get lots and lots of training when they are boarded. This helps the dogs stay calm and not get stressed when they are boarded. I don't care about all the foo foo stuff. Training and structure is more important.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IMO. Show IMO's posts

When a kennel staff will not allow you to go back and see the actual accomodations where your pet will be housed, that's an alarm bell, and I am gone!

I once had to carry one of my frightened dogs back to the kennel area and I then spent the next night worrying about her. The kennel cages were chain link walls, and the nieghboring dogs were within a two feet space across the 'hall' and next to each toher... and the noise was deafening. When I cut my trip short and came back to get my dogs (who were kenneled in the same cage so they could be togther), they were traumatized. BTW-- it was one of the kennels on your list!  I tried another kennel later, and one of my dogs came back with a UTI.

I now only use house sitters, and my dogs and cat are much happier... and so am I!

Sections
Shortcuts