What times of day do you feed your larger breeds?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What times of day do you feed your larger breeds?

Hi, everyone,

Gracie eats twice a day, 6:30 - 7:00 am and 4:30 pm.  However, she usually comes to the door and cries at her dish around 3:30.  I'm afraid if I feed her that early she'll be starving by 7:00 pm.  She always cries for more as it is.  I know she's getting enough per day because her weight is on the heavy side of healthy, as per the vet.

What times do you feed your dogs if you feed twice a day? 

TIA!

~Kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Re: What times of day do you feed your larger breeds?

Our golden retrievers always ate twice a day, when my mother got up in the morning and was making breakfast for everyone else in the family - around 7 am?  And then at night they'd eat at about 5:30pm.  ish.  probably closer to 6pm sometimes.

Do you think you could possibly get her to wait until 7:30am?  then perhaps she could wait until 4:30pm better?  Perhaps going outside in the AM would distract her from being hungry first thing in the morning? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

As soon as she does her morning business, she's dying to come in and stands crying at her food dish.  If I don't let her in, she bangs on the door.  If I didn't know better I'd swear we were underfeeding her and she's famished all the time.  But, she's truly hovering on the healthy weight line.  Our trainer says she's about 5 lbs overweight; the doc says she's just exactly at the edge.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I wouldn't worry too much, kar. I doubt that she is starving or underfed. She probably just always wants food. My friend's rottie/lab mix was the same way. He got quite chunky at one point because my friend's dad believed the dog must be absolutely starving if he's making a fuss, so he'd give him a little more food.
    She could also just be getting excited because she knows she'll be fed soon. I usually get home at 5:30ish and feed Max right away. But, if I'm home early or home all day, he starts to get really excited around 4-4:30 because he knows it's almost time for food and he can't hardly wait!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

My guy definitely isn't a large breed, but he is fed (kibble, not treats) twice a day at 6:30 AM and 6:30 - 7 PM.  I know you are concerned about keeping Gracie's weight on track, but would a small, healthy snack/treat in the afternoon hold her over until dinner?  When we have to feed Jax late for whatever reason, I usually try to give him a snack/treat while reinforcing commands.  That way I know he has something in his belly to get him through and I don't feel guilty about the snack because he earned it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DiCrane. Show DiCrane's posts

Hi Kar,

What brand of food do you feed Gracie?  If the food is full of fillers with no nutritional value Gracie may not get that "full" feeling.  I have a Bernese Mtn. Dog and we feed her Blue Buffalo twice a day.  They are not an overly active breed but she remains at the perfect weight ~ even with some treats thrown in.  Healthy, safe treats like dried sweet potatoes with glucosamine can also help and not be too fattening. 

On the other hand, some dogs just like food! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: What times of day do you feed your larger breeds?:
    [QUOTE]Hi Kar, What brand of food do you feed Gracie?  If the food is full of fillers with no nutritional value Gracie may not get that "full" feeling.  I have a Bernese Mtn. Dog and we feed her Blue Buffalo twice a day.  They are not an overly active breed but she remains at the perfect weight ~ even with some treats thrown in.  Healthy, safe treats like dried sweet potatoes with glucosamine can also help and not be too fattening.  On the other hand, some dogs just like food! 
    Posted by DiCrane[/QUOTE]

I know from previous posts that Kargiver feeds Gracie Blue Buffalo as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Happily, I learned about the nastiness of corn-based food early on (we started with, gasp, Purina Puppy Chow - don't judge me, I didn't know!).  We feed her Blue Buffalo's Large Breed White Fish and Oatmeal. 

I like the idea of a little snack in the afternoon.  And, maybe she does get excited, like Max, that it's almost dinnertime.  I just thought it was odd that she seems starved at 3:30.

But, if others are doing an 11 - 12 hour schedule, she can, too.

Thanks for all the input, everyone!!  It really helped, as always.

~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukes58. Show lukes58's posts

emma eats right after we get back from our morning walk - 7 amish and then after our evening outing - 7ish (its getting dark now which is not good for me since i work in boston and our outings are in the pitch black) although she does snack during the day but emma is more play motivated than food motivated -- she'd much rather catch a ball than have a treat

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, everyone is doing a 12 hour schedule.  Guess I really don't have to worry as much.  As usual.  Thanks!!