What to Do with a Cat that Won't Stop Crying?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from felinelove09. Show felinelove09's posts

Re: What to Do with a Cat that Won't Stop Crying?

I totally agree with "Toytrumpet".  If The roommate can't be more responsible for the care of an animal....and...the crying is a way of needing affection. It's not the other roommates responsibily...though....they are to be commended for trying to care. Confront her!!!

Good Luck :=)

felinelove09

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susu07. Show susu07's posts

your roommate is an a**hole. the cat needs to be taken away from her.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beaconian. Show beaconian's posts

Sounds like the neglectful, selfish roommate-owner needs to go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquanet. Show aquanet's posts

or dont even tell them its your roommates cat- tell them its you and you have to move within the next month- that might help speed up the process.  MSCPA and the ARL usually can't keep animals very long.  The no kill shelter is the way to go with this little guy. even if the cat is skitish- as long as he isn't sick or feral they will make every effort to help.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Martha1. Show Martha1's posts

Your roommate does not deserve this poor kitty.  And the kitty certainly does not deserve a neglecting human caretakers.

Go to Petfinder.com, look for the cat rescue groups in your area by zip code, get in touch, have your roommate post the cat for adoption via a cat rescue screening the new applicants for kindness and good veterinary references, and find that cat a loving home.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

[QUOTE]Your roommate does not deserve this poor kitty.  And the kitty certainly does not deserve a neglecting human caretakers. Go to Petfinder.com, look for the cat rescue groups in your area by zip code, get in touch, have your roommate post the cat for adoption via a cat rescue screening the new applicants for kindness and good veterinary references, and find that cat a loving home.
    Posted by Martha1[/QUOTE]

I agree with Martha....your roommate is neglecting his/her cat, and it's plan wrong. Try to find a new home for the cat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

It is possible your cat is bored. Thus, it might help if you allowed it outside and gave it a chance to hunt for its own food and water.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRobin. Show JRobin's posts

[QUOTE]This is a real question- not an argument!  Why would a cat cry for attention if he/she has at least one other cat to play with?  It sounds like "bad roommate" has two cats and if she's stealing cat food from "third roommate" there might even be another cat in the house. And why would the cat bond with the person in the house who feeds and plays with her least? Are there other reasons why cats would howl?  Thank you.
    Posted by Alice234[/QUOTE]

Some cats just don't like each other. I have several cats, some of whom can't stand the others. One just wants my attention and doesn't want anything to do with the other cats. So I have to oblige and give him attention.

Basically, in response to the original inquiry, the main issue here is the health and well-being of the cats. The roommate in question should NOT have pets, period. The poster should attempt to find another home for the cats; I would try to avoid bringing them to a shelter because the shelters are overwhelmed right now and the MSPCA does euthanize cats that are not adopted. If the cat is otherwise a good cat but just needs attention, and some cats are needier than others, then the poster needs to just tell the roommate that as the de facto caretaker, she has taken the responsibility for finding the kitty a proper home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Bring her cats to the ARL, explain the situation to them. When your roommate comes back, if she wants her cats, she'll have to submit an adoption application and I'm sure she won't pass the screening process.

[Quote]You're all right. What can I say? It is difficult to give her an ultimatum when she hasn't been home in four days. She decided to go skiing, without informing me or my other roommate, without purchasing cat food, without filling the water dish, without cleaning the litter box, and without asking anyone to feed them.

I'm starting to think that I could say nothing and give the cat away and she wouldn't notice.[/Quote]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I agree, give her an ultimatum: If you have not bougth cat food, cleaned the cat box and fed and watered the cat every day int he next week, I'm taking your cat to the Animal Rescue League.

[Quote]Reporting her? What an odd way to put it.

Look, the cat's neglected. If no one wants to spend time with the cat, someone ought to drop the cat off at the MSPCA. The cat's just being a cat.

Personally, I'd corner your roommate, get 2 or 3 inches from her face and scream at her for being a irresponsible twat and demand she take responsibilty for her pet before you take it and give it to someone who will take care of it. I'd call her a number of nasty names and remind her that it's a goddamned animal and neither a stuffed toy nor an accessory.

But that's just me.[/Quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from milleroni7654. Show milleroni7654's posts

In Response to Re: What to Do with a Cat that Won't Stop Crying?:
    [QUOTE]Why haven't we heard from the roommate who originally posted this issue nearly 3 years ago?   There are so many people who have voiced opinions and suggestions and would appreciate a follow-up on the fate of this innocent cat.

Hopefully she moved away with all the cats!  I'm starting to think that people really should have to pass a test in order to have kids or animals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooby53. Show scooby53's posts

I know i'm jumping in late here so I'll try not to add to the confusion or repeat anything ad nauseum.

From your description, it sounds like the cat is ignored.  Not abused, not hurt or hungry.  Cats have different personalities and some cats are just more needy that others.

Given, your roommate may not be the cat mother of the year, but if the cat is hers and you either A: steal it, or B: surrender it, you're kinda acting in an unethical manner. 

Given you have to live with this roommate and you like cats, I'd consider the following:

Someone mentioned Feliway.  It's a great product and on the off chance the cat is stressed,  it will help calm her down.

Small steps.  If you really think you'd like to be friends with the cat, I'd suggest slowly warming up to the cat.  Put a boogie mat and some toys, just inside your bedroom door.  Maybe the cat will come in to see what's up.  Then slowly move the may to the foot of your bed.  She may decide she likes sleeping with you and not crying.

Cat's are creatures of habit and this one has gotten into the habit of crying.  Cats don't cry tears, so it's more of a verbal way to try and get her "mom's" attention.  When she cries, try to change her focus.  Don't use food for this or you'll end up with a fat cat who cries because she doesn't get enough food.

Try a water bottle when she cries.  Change her space.  If you have the patience make a noise so she moves from outside your roomies door.  Leave a heating pad plugged in and turned on low.  Spritz it with Feliway and a small amount of catnip and see if she gravitates towards it for warmth and comfort.

Find a really great toy that will keep her entertained, but not wake up the neighborhood.  And DO have that talk with your roommate.  Have a "Like, but" talk.  "I really "like" having you for a roommate because...."But", I feel as though you don't consider my need to sleep or the cats need to have attention.  Could you please let her in your room at night for a trial period and see if we all get a good nights sleep?  Putting the cat in the basement is not an option as it's not fair to her.  She feels as if she's being punished and pet parents love their pets unconditionally.. Did you bite off more than you bargained for?"

Give it a try and see what you can do!

Good luck 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but around here (MA) it's on the news that shelters (ARL included) are running out of funds to house and feed the animals. So many people aren't able to afford to keep them now and are abandoning them. Much better, if possible, would be to find home for the two cats yourself.

tt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

Try a synthetic phermone dispenser for cats like Feliway. I use it with my cat and it works wonders.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortraining/a/Feliway.htm

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtbr1975. Show mtbr1975's posts

The problem is not the cat, its your roommate and her neglect of this animal. It sounds like she has no business being a pet owner. Cats are not a lot of work, but that does not mean they can be neglected and treated the way its being treated. My suggestion is to talk to the MSPCA or your local animal control, they may have suggestions as to how you can deal with the situation and any legal ramifications for her actions - which may prompt her to change or give up the animal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from monksgate1. Show monksgate1's posts

Time for the roommate to either give up the cat or start paying attention to the animal.  Cats depending on the breed need lots of attention.  The crying will continue until someone shows affection to the cat and talks/plays with it for a while.  20 minutes or more is not a lot to ask, like having an unattended child who will eventually cry and become anti-social.  People who take in animals and just expect them to exist on food alone should NOT have pets of any kind.    I have 3 cats all of which I took in as strays and all of my cats get equal attention.  Please have an adult discussion with your roomie, failing that although not your pet, please pay some attention to the cat.  You will find that it will in return give unconditonal love.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryclare48. Show maryclare48's posts

My cat is a talker.  My husband can't stand him talking all the time. He calls it crying.  All he (cat not husband) needs is to be cuddled for a few minutes.  Once he gets his fill he either curls up and sleeps on my lap or goes to his spot by the window...all is quiet.
    People should not have animals if they are not going to take care of their basic physical and emotional needs!