1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: When to see the vet??

that's what Max does when he's not feeling well. Honestly, when he acts like that, I feed him whatever he'll eat until he throws up or goes to the bathroom. If there's an improvement in his mood after he throws up, then I know it's not a major problem. Not a perfect system, but it's worked for me for the last 5 years.

Keep an eye on her gums. If they look pale, bring her to the vet. Always look at the eyes and the gums when she's acting off. If the eyes don't dilate or the gums look pale, then she needs to go to the vet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, it seems I was worried for nothing - she's back to her old self this morning.  She drank the clear/plain water in her crate last night after drinking her regular amount last night (I dumped the chicken broth at her feeding station after she ignored it for her crate water).  She also "cleaned her plate" and even asked for 1/2 cup more of her dry dog food yesterday.  And, right now, she's out accompanying DH on a morning cross country ski.  I hope she comes back as well as she left and not too tired.

Thanks, everyone!!!  What would I do without you. 

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    So how is baby Gracie feeling right now? I hope she is better. I know, it is so tough when you have a pet and they don't feel right. They cannot verbalize themselves. I still remember my dog's look in her eyes, when she was not well. Like, please do help me.
    I do hope Gracie  - and you - are doing a lot better by now. Please let us know.
    - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Sometimes when a dog does not drink, they are retaining water and thus are not thirsty - as when there is a kidney problem, which can be as simple as the flu  or any virus gone to the kidneys.

Stick to low salt chicken broth if tempting her.

Sometimes with a blockage or constipation a dog will eat some but not drink - you would think it would be the opposite.

Poor baby.  Worried Kar. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, dear...  Good luck.  Maybe don some chainmaille armor first. ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

i did wash the cat! she was honestly very good about it. she didn't really get upset until I had to rinse her off, but she didn't scratch me or bite me, she just kept trying to jump out of the tub. she really enjoyed being towel-dried.
    I gave her some soft food afterwards for being such a trooper about it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Robingirl, please read my post to Pinkie.
    I am sure they sell a flea/tick deterrent for big bucks at the pet stores. Brewer's Yeast cost just pennies. But if you give it a fancy name, you can charge more.
    I gave my dog a good topped teaspoon full every day. But if you have a smaller dog, maybe you can do less. Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kar that is too funny that the vet's thought you gave her pumpkin pie filling..i bet Gracie would love that though!

Hope she is feeling better!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, that's great, Pinkie!  Max must be so happy to be rid of those critters.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, DH is of very hearty stock - I am not.  I keep the home fires burning. :)

Pinkkittie, gosh, sounds like all our pets are off this week!  Sorry to hear Max is in the club.  I've heard very bad things about the effacy of BioSpot.  K9 Advantix (sp?) is what we use, and we also have a huge deer tick and flea problem out here.  Gracie has never been bothered.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I was actually thinking of putting Max's boots on her. Luckily, you put the shampoo on when they're dry, so she only needs to get wet once, but still. If I never post again, you'll know why: Cat took my fingers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

We all get the flu/ cold viruses,  and Dogs are susceptible.  They say- Vet bulletins-  that 3 common ones  and swine flu  for this season are ones dogs are known to be  able to catch from people.

This is when the reminder comes up that Gracie is a pup, and needs to build resistance,  as year to year many flu and cold strains are variations close enough from what they mutated from for immunity from past viruses to carry over.

Puppy mill dogs whose dams are kept for 2 breedings a year or more and often do not mix with people, like pets,  then get treated badly,  pups taken from Mom's milk as early as 4 weeks so they have time to get transported and be for sale somewhere on the first legal day (varies by state).   They  are a big problem.  Pups with no carryover immunity from Mom  have a high death rate from everyday stuff the first couple of years.

Gracie appears to be good breeder stock, such a "picture of health"   and her system did what it should-  tell her to rest,  cut back on strain to the kidneys if they are affected by not eating and drinking as much.  Good healthy dog now has more real dog immunities.

Kar, happy you have stopped worrying.  The traveling and visiting you did weeks back probably brought in a new stock of germs,  but she is obviously is strong.  It's a good thing, that exposure at her age.
         Usually, how pups handle the first couple of illnesses is most telling for their whole life history and longevity.   Something no one wants to tell owners while pup is sick -  raises the emotional stakes.  But she is not destined to be either sickly or short lived for her breed.

Time to go back to work, doing evaluations at my old elementary school today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Waggie!  Love your posts, so informative.  I do know she was well-treated for her first 8 weeks before she came to us and had her mom there.  And, I never thought about it from an immunity perspective, but I've taken her all around everywhere since she was about 11 weeks old.  I was actually thinking about her sociability skills, but it makes sense that her immunity was built up along the way.  YAY!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good idea to give your cat a bath too.
    My son bathe their cat once every week. He simply take him into the shower with him - and hold him tight. That is the only way. But it does get rid of a lot of cat hairs and allergens. He is highly allergic to cats and w/o a bath every week, he would not be able to live side by side with his (actually his wife's) cat. Their vet told them it would be fine. It would not hurt the cat, but he may be hurt in the process. Somehow the cat does not mind any longer. He does not like it, but he does not mind so much.
    Just a thought, pinkie. If you have to put whatever soap on her dry, you may just be able to pick her up and take her into the shower with you to wash it off. Could work - but best of luck.
    I am happy to hear Max is feeling better. I don't know if you can give Brewer's Yeast to cats. I don't think it will hurt them as it is only natural stuff. But try to google it or ask your vet first.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pinkie, how are you doing with the fleas? Did you get a chance to give your cat a  flea bath as well?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Kar, I'm so happy to hear that Gracie is back to normal!  It's so heartbreaking when you know your pup isn't feeling well.

Poor Reggie was sick this week too.  He had terrible diarrhea and was very lethargic late Sunday night into Monday, so I took him to the vet.  Turns out he had a reaction to his de-worming tablet, which caused the diarrhea.  Thankfully, as of yesterday he was back to normal.

The vet gave some good instructions that seemed to work really well.  First, she told us to put him on a bland diet for a few days, so we gave him chicken and rice.  He loved it -- so much so that I think we're going to have a hard time putting him back on puppy food!  She also told us to give him Pedialyte to prevent hydration.  She did give us medication to harden the stool, but I forget what it was called.  It was the first time he's been sick, so I'm glad I have these tips from the vet and from all of you for next time.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Pingo- I have heard that before. But, since we have a cat and I want to make sure we get the bugs gone before they have a chance to get to her, I'll be using a flea shampoo tonight that "kills on contact". I'll pick up Brewer's yeast when I'm at the grocery store next time I'm there. I'm all for natural prevention, plus it's good for them in other ways too. Thank you!
    During tick season (spring thorugh late fall) I have him on BioSpot to prevent flea & tick bites, especially because my mom lives in an area that has a terrible Lyme problem. I just usually skip December, January and February. Guess I learned my lesson on that one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've always used BioSpot and it's always worked. He just isn't on anything right now, because I've never had an issue with bugs in the winter. Max doesn't spend very much time outside in Dec-Feb, hating the cold like he does, and 95% of that time is on concrete in the city.
    This is only the second time he spent the weekend at my dad's house. And last time he was there, he was on BioSpot. My dad has bigger problems, since if the cat has fleas, and Max got fleas so quickly, he must have them in the carpet and just didn't notice. Now he has to flea-bomb the house.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

thanks, Kar. Yes, he's much happier. Unfortunately, DH & I have decided we want to wash the cat as well, just to be safe. Not looking forward to that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pinkie, sorry to hear Max got fleas. I don't know it this advice is still up to date.  We used to have a dog and someone adviced us to put a bit of Brewer's Yeast in her food. Fleas don't like it, we were told. So we did, and she never had a single flea. Whether it was due to the Brewer's Yeast, is hard to judge, but it certainly did not hurt her.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Glad you still have all your fingers and both eyes!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Pingo - we do have a well so maybe the water does taste different now and again. 

The vet called and said to add some chicken broth to her water 'til she feels better and is drinking, again.  I'll also change to our bottled water and see if she drinks that plain when she's in her crate.

Thanks for the kind wishes, my friend!  I do worry about her so much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ah, well I'm glad they aren't selling a bogus product and it really does work.  It bugs me (get it? HA!) when companies sell crud.

He must have been bitten himself, right?  Yuck!  Fleas!!  That was one of my big fears about getting a dog.  We had just bought 2 large area rugs.  So far, so good it seems.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When to see the vet??

Gracie has been sleeping more than usual yesterday and today and doesn't seem to be drinking very much water.  Yesterday, I fed her 1/2 her daily food mixed with a can of pumpkin which she wolfed down.  But, she didn't touch the rest non-pumpkin mix food.  So, she ate about 3/4 of her regular amount.  Today she's already eaten 1/2 of her daily food, but hasn't had a drop of water.  And, she went in her crate and is sound asleep.  She's usually up and at 'em by now wanting to go out and play.  Her water dish is usually empty in the morning (in her crate), but yesterday and today it was full when I got her out.

Do dogs just get "off" once in awhile like we do?  I have a call in to the vet, but I'm just wondering what people's experience has been with this.  I've never owned a dog, and she's only 8 months old.

TIA!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She's eliminating so hopefully that means no blockage or kidney problem. 

Her gums and eyes look OK.  I'm probably just overly sensitive to her moods. 

Thanks, again, all.

Sections
Shortcuts