When to see the vet??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: When to see the vet??

Thanks, friends, for checking in with us.  Gracie is MUCH better tonight.  She finished all her food (pumpkin free) and has started drinking regular water tonight.  She did like the broth, though, and I think it gave her some electrolites she might have been missing.  She's chomping away on a leftover rib bone from Christmas dinner.  She's broken it open and is chipping away at the marrow, seemingly happy and healthy.  It's been a stressful couple of days.  I knew I could count on you guys to help me through it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'll definately have to try the Brewer's yeast. I don't think Max will mind the bitterness, he'll eat just about anything. Can you give it to cats?

The shampoo I used last night was great! I saw all the fleas fall off in the water and I could tell afterwards that Max was much more comfortable. He slept well, no more scratching & licking!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm glad Gracie is back to her old self again!

I came home to Max not feeling well last night. I manged to perk him up with a walk and some play, but he was definately not himself. This morning, I discovered the reason for it: FLEAS! Embarassed

He stayed at my dad's house this past weekend while I was in Martha's Vineyard visiting a friend. I can't believe he picked up fleas in January! My dad checked his cat and, sure enough, the cat had fleas. Now I've got to make an emergency run to Petco after work to get some spot treatment and shampoo.
    Poor little guy. He's so uncomforatble and confused- he's never had fleas before! And his skin is already sensitive in the winter. I feel just awful about it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, ajuly, just saw your post after I did mine since I started a response a while ago and just finished.

Thanks, yes, I was concerned the vet would say to bring her in, but risked it because they've been very good so far about a "wait and see" philosophy.  Funnily enough, I told the receptionist that I fed her a can of pumpkin yesterday mixed with her food since she seemed to not feel well, and she didn't know canned pumpkin exists and told the doctor I fed her pumpkin PIE FILLING.  Of course, I was told not to do that! LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, kmt! 

Sorry Reggie got sick from that.  Gracie did, too!!!  She was started on Heart Guard, and it made her sick like Reggie.  However, she's been totally fine on the Inteceptor, the one they switched her to.  Give him Interceptor next time and see how he does.  The doctor should have both.

I was reluctant to feed Gracie the rice and burger combo they suggested just for the reason you worried about it.  She's so finicky and just started really liking her dry dog food.  I don't want to upset that apple cart even if it means she doesn't eat too much for a day or two.

Pedialyte is a great idea!  I'll remember that for next time, thanks.  I did happen to have chicken broth on hand this time, though, so that was good.  I've been making a lot of lentil soup this season. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pinkie, of course you have to get rid of the fleas in Max's coat right now. Brewer's Yeast is for prevention.
    There is now a de-bittered yeast on the market. I don't know, if that will work. Maybe it is the bitterness, the fleas do not like.
    I used the regular one. And it is bitter. I started with just a pinch, then kept added a bit more every week - until I got about a teaspoon or so in her food. Our dog did not mind it at all. And her coat became very shiny and beautiful as well.
    She was a Golden Retriever btw., and I miss her so. But we travel overseas a lot, and our beautiful dog died due to negligence at the kennel we used. Long story, I won't get into here. I just would not be able to go through the emotions loosing a pet again, so we are dog-less.
    Good luck with de-fleaing Max. Hope he will take to the Brewer's Yeast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, good to hear Gracie is back to normal. If our pets are miserable, we are miserable are well.
    Cross county skiing at 7:30 in the morning on this cold day? Wow, DH must really love it - or did he do it so Gracie could get some fresh air? Thought we had a few things in common, but not this one. LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Hi Kar-

Our new rule with our dog is no taking her to the vet unless she won't eat or is bleeding perfusely.   The vet bills just added up for things that were silly that we could have handled at home, but they are like our kids you know! You worry! 
       As far as getting her to drink water, can you mix it with her food?  We used to do that with our dog, but the kibble was helping to clean her teeth, but not when it was wet so we stoppped doing that.    I am sure that if you call your vet they'll say "bring her in!!"  They do that to us all the time even if it is minor, and it is $50 to walk through the door.    Sounds like your pup is under the weather, but the fact that she is eating is good.  I'd give it another day and if she is not back to normal, or getting better I'd take her in to see the vet if you don't mind spending the money.  It could be a parasite or something..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I am sure Gracie is not feeling well for some reason. Good you called the vet, he will tell you what to do.
    Dogs will usually not eat, when they are not well, but they will usually drink a bit water. Maybe the water is a bit too cold for her right now. But that should actually not be a problem, as you have it sitting in her crate. Maybe your water has an off odour or taste right now, maybe there is some soap residue in her bowl. Tough to judge.
    But you do need to have her drink or she will be dehydrated, and that is tough on a dog'd kidneys. Well, I know you know more than I about that - so I shouldn't even be telling you this.
    Best to Gracie and you, my dear. I know, you must be suffering. Keep us posted as to what your vet tells you. - Pingo