Where can you take a dog indoors for the day during the winter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendi. Show Wendi's posts

Where can you take a dog indoors for the day during the winter?

Hi,

My sister and I volunteer for a dog rescue and every Saturday we work with a particular dog until they get adopted.  We pick the dog up early Saturday morning and do not return the dog until 7 or 8pm that evening.  The goal is to get the dog out of the rescue for the day for socialization and some one on one time / cuddle time, plus we have a few meals together, etc...  During the summer it's a piece of cake to do this type of thing.  Normally the dog we are working with gets adopted by the time the colder weather gets here and it has not been an issue before.  But this time we are still working with the same dog and would never stop taking him out on Saturdays because of the winter, he and we would be devastated.  We just don't know where to take him now.  We can't bring him to my house because I have a cat that gets stressed very easily, I have three parrots and live in an apartment.  My sister has a bird that is easily stressed and will self mutilate, has two cats and lives in an apartment.  I live in Quincy, my sister lives in Taunton and the rescue is in Lakeville.

So anywhere around these areas would work.  If you have any suggestions, we would really, really appreciate it as we have run out of ideas.

Thanks so much,
    Wendi

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Re: Where can you take a dog indoors for the day during the winter?

I don't know that area Wendi, but in addition to pet supply stores, you could look into other places that are dog friendly.  For example, there is a small coffee shop near my house where dogs are welcome, so some weekends we walk down there and hang out with a muffin and tea.  Its good for puppy because lots of people, of all different shapes, sizes, etc. come and go.  There is lots of noise and distraction so we work on reinforcing it and lie down, as well as greetings. Does the shelter do any training classes on saturdays that you could go to with him?  Or would they allow you to take him to classes elsewhere?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Home Depot is pet friendly.  And don't forget PetSmart in addition to PetCo.

Another suggestion is to maybe enroll the dog in obedience classes held on Saturdays.  Call the trainers and explain your situation.  Who knows?  Maybe they'll be willing to cut you a break on the costs.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

The coffee shop is in Medford and he can go in with me.  Home Depot near me is also "no dogs."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

You may want to check this local dog boutique store www.woofandwhimsy.com. They host weekend playdates for dogs of all ages and sizes at a very small cost (think its $5 per dog for the hour).  Its in Weymouth Landing which is very close to Quincy line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I haven't had any issues bringing my dog to my local Home Depot.  I've sent an email asking about their policy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bonnie362. Show bonnie362's posts

In Response to Re: Where can you take a dog indoors for the day during the winter?:
    [QUOTE]You may want to check this local dog boutique store www.woofandwhimsy.com. They host weekend playdates for dogs of all ages and sizes at a very small cost (think its $5 per dog for the hour).  Its in Weymouth Landing which is very close to Quincy line.
    Posted by SSBride09[/QUOTE]

I just checked out that link, and just above the playdates information, reads "CANCELLED FOR THE SUMMER BUT WILL BE BACK SOON!!!".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Hey Wendi,
     Depending on how well behaved the dog is, you may be able to bring him for visits to local nursing homes/senior centers.  When I volunteered at a shelter in NY we did this and it was great!  It's very soothing for people to pet the dogs and they loved chatting with visitors.  Some people were not well enough or didn't like dogs, so we just skipped their rooms. 
    It can't hurt to contact a few places nearby and ask if they allow this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgshaw. Show sgshaw's posts

Check out the events page at Especially for Pets.  There are 5 or 6 of these stores around the state and they have classes such as walking on a loose lead, keeping your dog busy this winter, and coming when called.  http://www.especiallyforpets.com/events.htm

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Where can you take a dog indoors for the day during the winter?:
    [QUOTE]The coffee shop is in Medford and he can go in with me.  Home Depot near me is also "no dogs."
    Posted by Novembride[/QUOTE]

You might want to be careful about that because the coffee shop is not allowed to allow dogs inside.  If someone complains you'd get in trouble even if your defense is "the coffee shop allowed it."  I'd absolutely not take Gracie inside where food is being served; I don't want any trouble.

And, if you ARE allowed to bring a dog to your local Home Depot that would be ideal because the aisles are big enough that you won't have as many issues with a puppy grabbing things off the shelves or the dog's tail whacking stuff.  You also have room to avoid people who do not want anything to do with your dog.  There are people with allergies and stuff, you know?

That reminds me, when out, I always ask if Gracie can "come say hi" before I let her up to anyone, especially kids.  You just never know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooooh, just found this!  It's not just restaurants.

Dog Friendly Massachusetts by City

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where can you take a dog indoors for the day during the winter? : I just checked out that link, and just above the playdates information, reads " CANCELLED FOR THE SUMMER BUT WILL BE BACK SOON!!!".
    Posted by bonnie362[/QUOTE]

FYI, I stopped by today to pick up some food and asked the owner.  Their website is not up to date but they are doing doggie play groups every Sunday ($5 cost for the hour).  1-2pm for dogs under 25 lbs and 2-3pm for dogs over 25 lbs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie2101978. Show katie2101978's posts

If you are in Quincy, try K-9 Daycare.  Its a new doggie daycare and you can drop the dog off anytime during the day and its only $20.00.  The dog will get full socialization and exercise. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie2101978. Show katie2101978's posts

[QUOTE]If you are in Quincy, try K-9 Daycare.  Its a new doggie daycare and you can drop the dog off anytime during the day and its only $20.00.  The dog will get full socialization and exercise. 
    Posted by katie2101978[/QUOTE]

400 Washington St., Weymouth