1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Who to call?

On Monday evening I found a stray dog (looked like a Border Collie) with no tags in my yard playing with my dogs (we have an invisible fence).  The stray dog seemed be dog friendly and didn’t want to leave but whenever my husband or I tried to approached it the dog growled at us so we didn’t dare try to catch it.  I called our local police department but they told me there was nothing they could do since the dog catcher wasn’t in until the next day at 2pm.  Then I called the Animal Rescue League but their message just said to call the local police dept to get in touch with them since it was after hours.  All I could think of to do after that was take a picture and post the dog on craig’s list in case anyone was looking for it.   I brought my dogs inside in case the stray dog had any illnesses, etc. and the dog just waited outside my door for a long time (in hopes I would let my pups out to play again).  I felt horrible. Anyone have any suggestions for who to call if something like this happens again? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Re: Who to call?

SSBride, you don't live anywhere near the Fells area do you?    Probably a longshot but I know that there was a dog missing in that area for awhile who was shaggy like a border collie but smaller. www.findmarisol.com.

As for who else to call, it sounds like you did the best you could and its a shame that nobody could provide immediate help for this poor animal.  I guess the only other thing I would do is contact a local vet to see if they had heard of any missing pets in the area. GL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

The police are supposed to beep Animal Control [someone is always on call for emergencies] however they require that the dog is contained, they should come out and take him to the pound.

He may have a microchip, he might have been lost or hurt. 

You could put him in your car, try to get a collar or leash on him, take him to the nearest vet or 24 hour animal hospital, and tell them you found him and  animal control is unresponsive. 

PS:  I contain the dog in my yard if possible,  ask around the neighborhood if anyone is missing their dog,  then I call police/animal control.

Hopefully he was just lost, got out of a backyard or something and found his way home.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kathdunkin. Show kathdunkin's posts

Dog Lady -- you missed that the dog growled at her.  That's a dangerous situation.  The police should have paged the animal officer but too often they just don't care.  Hopefully the dog will come back to play again and the animal officer will be on duty (they keep terrible hours)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Re: Who to call?:

Dog Lady -- you missed that the dog growled at her.  That's a dangerous situation.  The police should have paged the animal officer but too often they just don't care.  Hopefully the dog will come back to play again and the animal officer will be on duty (they keep terrible hours)
    Posted by kathdunkin

I didn't miss that the dog growled, I would open the back door of my car throw a treat on the car seat and step away, 9 times out of 10 the dog jumps in, then I shut the door ... now the dog is contained and animal control can be paged by the police to pick him up.

They don't consider a loose dog an emergency unless it is attacking people.     However they will pick up an animal if you tell them it's contained and then take it to the pound.

Yes, I've been bitten, scratched had dog vomit in my car etc.  rescuing animals can be messy.

I've also been thanked by owners who were reunited with their pets,  I have a cat carrier, gloves and towels etc in my trunk.

Often when I open the car door they jump in ready to go home! 

Better yet,  if you have a fenced in yard contain them there.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Dog Lady, I really don't applause you for containing a strange dog in your car. And I feel your advise was ill advised. Are you really aware of what danger you put yourself in? The dog was growling and could be rabid. I am all for treating animals well, I am all for rescuing a lost and maybe hurt pet. But there are people trained to do such things.
    The next we will hear from you is a suit to some owner, b/c you put your fingers in a pie, where they didn't belong.
    I really don't know, who you are, but you are not here to save the world and all animals - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

The OP said nothing that would indicate the dog was rabid,  only lost, confused, frightened and possibly injured. 

Obviously if you have concerns for your safety do not approach the dog alone or at least get help from others if you decide to try to contain the animal.

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/what_to_do_stray_pet.html 

Sometimes going door to door and asking neighbors if they recognize the dog will lead to his owner,  often the dog will follow you while you're doing this.

PS: Anyone else have any suggestions? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I would never recommend any action as drastic and fool hardy as you did.  You're advising SSBride to risk serious injury, possibly contacting rabies.  As Pingo said, there are people trained to do that work, and I seriously doubt they would tell the average citizen to use the methods you described.  -  

" I have a cat carrier, leashes, collars, halters, gloves and towels in my trunk. "

Unless you're going to tell us you're an animal control officer or work for the Animal Rescue League, you have no business jumping in.  Call the people trained to handle such situations instead of possibly making it worse for yourself and the animal.

SSBride, you did everything you could in that situation, and what any sane person would do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

I have been a dog owner most of my life and while I've never had a lost dog, I can imagine if it happened I would be in a panic. That said, I would absolutely not want anyone to put themselves in a situation where my dog would bite or scratch them...which he could very well do if injured or afraid. And while I absolutely love animals, I would never put myself in a position where I would be bit or scratched. I have experienced a few lost dogs in my neighborhood and have contained them in my backyard (I have a fence) while waiting for a response from animal control. That's the most I would ever do for a lost animal and frankly, wouldn't expect (or want) anyone to do any more for my lost dog. Too many ways that could end badly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I would never attempt to lure a stray, potentially feral, animal into my vehicle. It seems like the height of stupidity to me. When cornered or trapped, who knows what sort of damage the animal could cause to the vehicle, not to mention to me if I then tried to drive the car. It's daft.

I would have handled it exactly as you did, SSBride, including your instinct to try to take a digital photo of the dog and post it on CL/FB/message boards that are local to the area, in case an owner was looking for the pet. If it had tags and let you approach, then obviously you can make an effort to find the owners, but it's not your responsibility or obligation to put yourself or your pets at risk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

Sometimes I think people forget dogs are animals and will behave as such. I got bit in the face by a dog once (and had plastic surgery as result) and while that experience did not lesson my affection for dogs, it taught me a very valuable lesson. Now I never approach unknown dogs, never allow my dog to approach unknown dogs (or people) and I never bend down to greet any dog ever. Even with my own well-trained dog, I muzzle him every day when I file his nails and for each and every vet appointment, no matter.
    The few times I've let strays into my backyard, they were dogs that were known to me (and my dog) and were just neighborhood dogs that got out of their homes or bolted through their electric fences.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Yeah, who is going to reimburse the OP if she corrals the animal in the car -think of the potential medical injuries, not to mention potential detailing her car would need after a frightened animal peed and pooed all over the interior while waiting for police?

SSBride, I'd have called the police back and say that the dog tried to attack you [it did threaten you by growling]. Then, they have an incentive to page the animal control officer b/c there is a potential vicious dog at large and they are aware of it.

Corralling a dog in your car w/ a piece of meat you happen to have lying around?  Yeah, nutso idea all around. 

And how big is your car, dog lady, that you cart around that much animal containment paraphrenalia? I would not have room for groceries if I carted around that much stuff and my trunk is pretty large. If you really have that many loose animals in your neighborhood that you need to maintain a volume of 'rescue equipment' on a regular basis, it sounds like a serious problem in your town, and not the one random stray dog that the OP encountered.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

SSBride, if you want another number to call, you can try the 1800 line for Home Again, the microchip people. I know that Boston area vets and pounds use them, or at least did 10 years ago, b/c that's who my cat's microchip is through and I got him at a pound on the North Shore.

Here's the link to the website:  http://public.homeagain.com/

I updated my cat's chip info recently after we moved and I routinely get email messages re lost pets in my area and where they were last seen.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skipgirl. Show Skipgirl's posts

I laughed out loud, I would never trap a strange animal (especially one that is growling at me) in the back of my car!  My first thought was it would tear my seats and/or go to the bathroom all over the place.  Plus...it's just not safe, plain and simple. You did the right thing by calling the police, I'm shocked they turned you away. I would think Animal Control would have a back up contingency plan in place for these types of situations as I'm sure people find stray animals (as you have) during non business hours!  I would call the Police back and ask them to suggest your next course of action...they are here to serve the community, right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Thank you, dog-lady. Sound advice as usual

Ive contained a lost dog in my car also. Many times actually. Only problem I ever encountered is a little poopsh*t and peepee in the back seat. Small price to pay IMO for the reward and joy I feel when the lost dog is eventually reunited with its owner

Dont know why the women are giving you such a hard time today. Some of them really need to get a life, huh?

Sincerely,
    Your pal, Wildo

PS God forbid that William ever gets lost, but if he does, I hope it happens in your neighborhood, because then I will know he will be safe

PPS William has been trained never to poopsh*t or peepee in an automobile, so dont worry if you have to contain him in yours, okay?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Ache,   Thank you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Well, Robin, my favorite drink is Mountain Dew. Dont know if they have it at Doyle's thesedays, but it's on sale at S&S this week, if you want to pick me up a 2-liter:)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My Gawd, Ache.  No one is ganging up on Robin/DogLady.  She is giving advice to a serious inquirer, that could and probably would, result in a disastrous situation. You don't just stand by and say, "Oh, yeah, that's a great idea."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Robin mentioned containment in a car in a PS. It wasnt even the main point of her post, but it is what you and others here zeroed in on

It wasnt a suggestion for a plan of action for the OP writer either. Robin was merely relating to her what she herself does with a stray dog in her neighborhood

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

Ache- Not all oppposing viewpoints are ganging up on Doglady. And she actually did suggest at the beginning of her first post that the OP put the dog in her car, and get a collar and leash on it.  That's what was concerning to me. Putting a collar on puts the person in close contact with the dog and in biting range. Being bit in the face is not something I would ever want to experience again.....not only was I seriously injured, I was heartbroken for the dog. It was awful all around.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

trumpet:

Robin's opening post in this thread had a lot of good advice in it. But you and the others here today chose to focus exclusively on the one item in it you thought was weirdo

Kinda selective of you, wouldnt you say?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

She is suggesting in her very first post that the person put the dog in her car - he was growling at her, for Pete's sake.  You don't handle a growling dog.  Face up to the fact that she gave bad advice and other posters pointed that out to the person inquiring.  No one was ganging up on DogLady, we were disagreeing, which in her mind and evidently yours, is ganging up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

The police will not page animal control to pick up an animal unless it is contained.

Therefore if you want to help the animal the goal would be to contain it.

In example: lure it into an enclosed area,  fenced in yard,  car or garage if you can do so safely.

Dogs will growl when they are frightened or in pain,  but the dog the OP described sat at her front door for a long time and also attempted to play with her dogs.

Obviously noone should do anything they think would place themselves in danger.

But some of us that care about animals are willing to take a chance here and there. 

Most dogs respond to food and kindness.

The next important thing would be to check around the neighborhood to see if anyone is missing their dog. 

PS: The only reason I'm posting again is it appears my original posts have been misinterpeted.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Maybe we should ask the Angell vet whether he thinks it's a good idea to lure strange growling dogs into the back seats of cars. I mean, he's an EXPERT and all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In cases like this..you should always call animal control after hours. FYI that animal shelters have staff on hand or on call 24/7 ...so what generally happens is animal control will come and pick up the dog and then bring it to the shelter or a local animal hospital. Best to leave it to the experts. Funny..when I was a kid I was forever bringing home strays..or wounded birds etc. I could not even tell you how many stray dogs and cats I brought home.
    Life teaches you to be more cautious..especially where a dog is concerned.
    Also..I read through all the posts..I don't get the sense that anyone is attacking dog lady personally. They just seem to disagree with her advice..which I disagree with also. You should not take that as a personal attack. We all bring different things to the table..and have different perspectives. When you post an opinion on a public discussion forum..you ought to be prepared for disagreement. I wouldn't take it personally. I am disagreed with plenty on this site..and I never take it personally. No one said anything personal about dog lady..they just disagreed with her advice.

Sections
Shortcuts