Who to call?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

Re: Who to call?

Wow, thanks for all the responses.  Sorry I went MIA, I was on the road yesterday. 

Doglady, while I appreciate that you are willing to risk your safety for the sake of an animal, as much as I love dogs I couldn’t see taking the actions proposed.  It did cross my mind to try to contain the dog (I was thinking of using Penny’s crate and trying to lure it in there with a treat) and would have if the dog did not show signs of aggression.  Even with a crate though in this case I was concerned about getting bitten while closing the door, etc.

Alf, you’re idea about calling Microchip company hotlines is a good one.  If they could connect the dog as lost do you think they would actually come to get the dog?  Call the owner?  

Does anyone know of specific 24/7 lines for local animal shelters or rescues? I’m in Braintree.  Unfortunately the dog hasn’t come back but I want to be prepared with numbers to call next time knowing that my local police department won’t be of any help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Microchip people can only help after the dog is scanned and identified, they don't come and pick up the dog, most of them are located out of state.  Any vet or shelter could scan him.   
    There are people that just let their dogs out like that,  he may have found his way home.

In fact the last one I found [3 years ago] was tired and skinny,no collar, hanging around for a long time, looked lost ...  I put him in my back yard on a Sunday afternoon, police paged the on-call animal control person and they took him to the pound. His people picked him up Monday they were new to the area and didn't know about the leash law.

They were actually a little annoyed cause they had to pay to get him out, so you never know!    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Actually, dog lady, if you look on the microchip website, it indicates that you can call and inform them of the dog in the area - if the owner has contacted them about a missing dog, the microchip people will tell them a dog matching that description was last seen in X area. In fact, I just got an email notification of that today [they tell you where the animal was last seen and if you are in that area and see an animal matching that description to call the microchip people].

Yes, it's easier to scan the animal once it's been captured, but giving any info about missing pet sightings is still helpful to the owner, even if you are not able to contain the animal so that someone can come out and scan it.

Yes, if you contain the animal, and he's scanned and id'd as a missing pet, you can either hold it for the owner to come and get or the microchip people will coordinate w/ vets and shelters in the area.  At least this is how MY pet's microchip works and I got him and the chip on the North Shore.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yobettyob. Show Yobettyob's posts

It seems like dog lady is the only person to have ever actually done anything helpful about lost dogs she comes across. Good for her. People must have been cranky because of the rain.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I had to have the rabies vaccines earlier this year. A "friendly" but unknown dog that turned on me. Couldn't find him to have him quarantined. The injections didn't hurt, but what a PITA to go to the clinic every week for a month.

'Nuff said.

ETA: The stray cited by the OP is probably harmless - dog rabies in the USA has almost been eradicated, but I feel it's better to err on the side of caution.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

In Response to Re: Who to call?:
    [QUOTE]It seems like dog lady is the only person to have ever actually done anything helpful about lost dogs she comes across. Good for her. People must have been cranky because of the rain.
    Posted by Yobettyob[/QUOTE]

Aww - I love Boston Terriers!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

[QUOTE]It seems like dog lady is the only person to have ever actually done anything helpful about lost dogs she comes across. Good for her. People must have been cranky because of the rain.

Thanks,  I'm sure there are many people that do what they can to help.     http://www.bostonherald.com/news/offbeat/view.bg?articleid=1376271

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who to call? : Thanks for your input.   I will always go out of my way to help an animal in need, that may not be wise but it's the only way I know.   I'm not suggesting others do the same.
    Posted by dog-lady[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't do it with a growling dog or a hissing cat - but I don't like the bullying you've been subject to in this thread.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A helpful tip to the original poster - continue to use your common sense as you did in handling this situation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yobettyob. Show Yobettyob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who to call? : Aww - I love Boston Terriers!
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]
    I found him chasing wild turkeys around Jamaica Pond all by his lonesome, took him home and notified the authorities. When his owner gets in touch with me I will refuse any reward other than a sugar donut.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

The problem with rabies is that the only way to be 100% sure a dog is rabid or not is to kill it and have its tissues tested.  True you can try putting it in seclusion for a period of time and watching its symptoms, but most dogs are social enough that solitary confinment is extreamly hard on them.  Its easy enough to say that he's only acting agressive because he's scared, but if you don't know the dog then you don't know. 

And even if he's not rabid, if he DOES bite you while you're handling him you may have just lowered the dog's chances of survival at the shelter if he doesn't have owners to take him.  Many shelters take bite history very seriously when considering which dogs to try to adopt out.

If you have the time, money and energy to deal with the potential damange to health and property, and the skills and background to know how to handle a potentially agressive dog, then more power to you.  But thats definetly not something the average person (or even dog owner) has or should consider doing!

And really, the people who got upset cause you turned their dog over to animal control and they had to pay a fine?  Maybe next time they'll think twice about letting him out, or fix whatever hole he got out of.  They're the ones who allowed him to get free!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

We aren't talking about "Cujo" we're talking about a lost dog. 

I know rabies when I see it, the animal usually behaves oddly and displays neurological signs. 

I've seen foxes, squirrels etc. in this state and obviously I have avoided them and warned others.

There will always be people that are going to get involved,  and there will always be people that are not.

By the way over the years I've lured many a growling dog into an enclosed area without putting a hand on it only to have it whimper and cower.

I would then offer it  food and water and go about trying to identify the owner. 

I have occasionally been bitten and scratched and I have never required any treatment.

It's not like this is an every day occurrence, more like once every three years or so.

However I probably would hesitate to approach a pit bull ... but if it looks like someones lost pet I would do what I could to get it help.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

I would think any dog even the most friendliest dog would growl when lost, scared and approached by a stranger. Especially with all the animal abusers out there. I would hope my dogs would do that to a stranger and not willingly go with them. There are too many sickos out there. Just because it did growl does not make it rabid, or extrememly vicious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

If the dog is in the car and she is not and is outside waiting for the lazy animal control people to collect the dog I also don't see why there is a problem with that. It's also extremely rare that the dog is rabid. unless maybe it looks like Cujo or something LOL

By they way love your Boston terrier :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

[QUOTE] It's also extremely rare that the dog is rabid. unless maybe it looks like Cujo or something LOL By they way love your Boston terrier :)
    Posted by jharvey31[/QUOTE]

Hi jharvey,  Did you get a new dog?   I did mention in one of my posts that I have occasionally driven a dog or cat to the pound to get it shelter [after luring it into my car]  I realize this is foolish,  but it worked at the time, I understand it's not recommended!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who to call? : I found him chasing wild turkeys around Jamaica Pond all by his lonesome, took him home and notified the authorities. When his owner gets in touch with me I will refuse any reward other than a sugar donut.  

Amazing how much your dog looks like William......  I would ask for a Whoopie pie myself..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

My DH and I have found stray dogs on more than one occassion.  We have called Animal Control in our town and they are completely useless.  In all instances it ended up on our lap to find who the owners were.  Luckily, each time they were local dogs that just got out of their homes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SSBride09. Show SSBride09's posts

I think its really horrible that with all the animal related charities and animal control officers that exist there doesn't seem to be anyone that can help in a situation where you find a lost dog at an inconvenient time or need help containing it.

I understand some town resources may be limited but you would think neighboring towns could work together so there is always a dog officer on duty... just a thought.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

What is more frustrating is that our taxes go to these Animal Control officers who do nothing.  The one in my town even gets a town (i.e. tax payer funded) car!  We called the MSPCA on one dog because we thought he was being neglected (left outside for days).  It took them 3 days to come out and check on the situation.  I know they are busy, but that could have been too late for a sickly animal.

Okay - rant over. My point is I think you did all you could under the cirucumstances. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yobettyob. Show Yobettyob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who to call? : Amazing how much your dog looks like William......  I would ask for a Whoopie pie myself..
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]
    That's a good idea! Nevermind about the sugar donut. A whoopie pie is what I want.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Purchase about 1,000 steaks, and place them in a line from the stray dog to the animal control officer's house. The dog catcher will learn.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who to call? : Hi jharvey,  Did you get a new dog?   I did mention in one of my posts that I have occasionally driven a dog or cat to the pound to get it shelter [after luring it into my car]  I realize this is foolish,  but it worked at the time, I understand it's not recommended!

Yes I adopted a 6yr old pug mix from the Second Chance Animal shelter in N. Brookfield. His name is Oliver. So far he has been great, it's nice to bring home an already trained dog. He gets along perfectly with my Boston Holly and she is much happier having another dog to play with again.  Puppies are great and all but I think from now on I am going to adopt dogs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jharvey31. Show jharvey31's posts

[QUOTE]Me too ... I think my puppy days are over!   I love pugs,  congratulations!

Thanks Laughing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yobettyob. Show Yobettyob's posts

Best advice yet!