1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Subcritical. Show Subcritical's posts

Re: Your favorite dog breed?

Parson Jack Russell Terrier.  Athletic, tireless, loyal, and extremely intelligent.  A very large dog in a small, manageable package.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from danj. Show danj's posts

Whats sad, there are so many fringe breeds that never get the attention they deserve.  Ridge Back, Russian Hound, etc...

I rescued two Chinese Crested's. I discovered the breed by chance when I was looking for a nice city dog.  Cresties are very good house dogs.  Not requiring long walks or lots of grooming.  They are smart and love to please.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Boxers!!!!  Fun, loyal, great watch dogs, and they are such clowns!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GrandDoggers. Show GrandDoggers's posts

You can’t beat a Weimaraner.   They are as big as a horse, but as you can see they are gentle enough to let a small child play with them.

And they love to cuddle with you or each other!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Doggers, those are the sweetest photos of your lovey doveys. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teezee. Show teezee's posts

We're dedicated Newfie fans.  Have had the gentle giants through children and now grandchildren.  Our current boy is 155 pounds of affection, gentleness, and joy.  His basso profundo bark is rare and comes in two tones:  I'm happy and "who are you, stay back until I say you can come".  He's polite (unless he feels compelled to kiss you), calm, and gorgeous.  Of course, you've got to have a lot of tolerance for mess:  his drinking bowl ends up half on his chest, half on the floor.  But, as a breed, there isn't a sweeter family dog, though there are lots who are tidier!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

teezee, we had the same problem with our lab making a big mess of the water until we got this travel bowl from Amazon.  It took her about 2 months to warm up to it, but now she uses it as often as ever.  It cut WAY back on the mess because she cannot dip her whole face in the water.

No mess water dish

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrocka129. Show shamrocka129's posts

Vizsla's are amazing dogs.  Smaller bodied than the Weimaraners, but a more gentle personality.  Great athletes with a lot of personality.  Absolute show stoppers, gorgeous dogs.  Mine is 8 months, great dog.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How attentive he is!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Fantastic pictures on here!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HUBRICHT. Show HUBRICHT's posts

I love love love beagles  Tongue out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruthcatrin. Show ruthcatrin's posts

Tibetan Mastiff!

10 weeks old, 25 lbs (picture taken at the breeders in VA a week ago when we picked him up, hence the lack of snow)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, ruth!  What a cutie - and huge already!  Best to you and your new pup.  Keep us posted. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogman64. Show dogman64's posts

a yorkshire terrier is very smart, trainable,friendly easy to take care of.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BreedTrust. Show BreedTrust's posts

I've had a whippet (current dog), westie, beagle, and maltese among other purebred and mixed breed dogs over the years and loved them all for very different reasons so it's hard to pick a favorite. 

My first dog was a westie and I think they're a great breed; I just loved the feisty, spunky side of my westie and all his comical antics.  My dog now is a whippet and he's a super sweet cuddler.  I enjoy getting a different breed each time I get a dog and I try to match the breed's characteristics with my lifestyle at the time I'm getting it.   I agree with robingirl that if your heart is set on a purebred dog there are many great rescue organizations including those affiliated with the AKC that have rescued purebreds in need of homes.

Adopting a shelter pet isn't for everyone but if you're open to it, the difference you'll make in just one animal's life and what you'll get back from them is well worth it.  Breed Trust has a new nationwide database of adoptable dogs and adoptable cats in need of homes at shelters across the U.S. where you can search by zip code or breed if you're interested in helping a pet in need find a good home.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

I love ALL dogs, but my absolute favorite breed is the miniature schnauzer. Ours will be 6 months on March 18th and he is so smart. He was 100% trained by around 4 months old and just so good. Athletic, but cuddly. Great with kids, loyal, cute, perfect size (imo). The perfect dog! (for us)

Here is my MS:

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpuppy. Show bigpuppy's posts

Oh, Minipup, I'm so glad you checked back in. I was thinking of starting an 'update' discussion to see what had happened to past posters and Cooper was first on my mind! As cute as he was when you got him (and were looking for training tips), he's even more adorable now and I'm so glad to read that you obviously found a good trainer for him. I'll always be a Chocolate Lab girl, but all of the other pups in this thread are giving my Bosco a run for his money!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

minipup, he's got the most adorable face and expression!  I've been wondering about Cooper, too - thanks for checking in!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PMcG. Show PMcG's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite dog breed?:
    [QUOTE]DOGS!
    Posted by soloamos[/QUOTE]
    Great Answer!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I don't own a dog..and probably would not..but my favorite breed..bar none is the German Shepard. If I ever were to consider getting a purebred dog..that would be the one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FreshFig. Show FreshFig's posts

Bulldogs! So laid back and friendly!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

[QUOTE]Beagles!
    Posted by soxfan718[/QUOTE]

I do agree, our first beagle was a lost 3 month old puppy we decdied to keep when we couldn't find his owner. We had him for 14 years. He was an escape artist and I got to know a lot of nice people in my community who returned him to us. We promised ourselves we would never get another beagle, but we now have a beautiful beagel girl who we have worked with so that she doesn't get lost.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

[QUOTE]We didn't get a lab to be a status symbol! Who could resist her? 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

She is BEAUTIFUL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, spooge! :)

We love our Innotek in-ground containment fence for Gracie, by the way - no chance of wandering off, getting lost, hit, whatever.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from spoogedog. Show spoogedog's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks, spooge! :) We love our Innotek in-ground containment fence for Gracie, by the way - no chance of wandering off, getting lost, hit, whatever.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

We fenced in about 3/4 of an acre last summer, what a difference, the dogs are happier and so are we.

Sections
Shortcuts