1. You have chosen to ignore posts from faulknmi. Show faulknmi's posts

Are employers required to reimburse for mileage?

I have a friend who works as a construction supervisor, and as part of his job is required to drive from job site to job site during the day. His employer used to offer gas cards to all supervisors but recently revoked them as part of a cost cutting effort. Since he is no longer reimbursed for gas, is he entitled to reimbursement for mileage at the standard IRS rate? His employer says No; I'm wondering if there are any legal obligations?

Again, this is not mileage from his home to job sites (which I assume is just considered normal commuting) - it's mileage between job sites during the work day. Any insights on this would be much appreciated! Thank you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Are employers required to reimburse for mileage?

I think the IRS rate is set for tax reporting purposes, not as a legal obligation for employers to do for their employees.  His compensation package doesn't include mileage anymore which is a bummer, but I don't think that legally they have to do that.  It basically means he just got a pay cut. :(

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

you can deduct " reasonable commuting expenses" like going to/from work, to/from job sites on your taxes.  make sure you itemize and have receipts 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

It all depends on the contract your friend signed, when he started at the company. If the contract says, that gas or miles is to be reimbursed - then he should expect compensation. If not - then no.
    But the other posters are right, he can deduct his traveling expenses to work related traveling on his tax return.
    It is a very tricky question.  In construction, you are expected to commute to the work site. For construction workers it wil be like commuting to your workplace. No reimbursement.
    I know, with these gas prices it s*cks. But one has to get to work, and if you choose to take your car, that is up to you. - Pingo