1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rigby. Show Rigby's posts

Re: Job interview attire horror stories

My wife is a manager for a local record store chain known for how casual it is so the traditional interview attire doesn't apply, for the most part.  But she did draw the line at the individual who showed up to his interview wearing a baseball cap emblazoned with the word describing a man's nether regions.  (the one that begins with P...)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mondernist. Show Mondernist's posts

And DO NOT wear perfume or any strongly scented body product! (like Ax)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinnFann. Show FinnFann's posts

As a small business owner I've interviewed numerous Customer Service candidates.  Here's some tips-

Skip the Star Wars tie
    Loose the gum
    Spare the clevage
    Concert T-Shirts should be for kids only
    Take out your Blue-Tooth
    10lbs of sausage in an 8lbs casing is not a good look
    Pull up your pants!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JLCO. Show JLCO's posts

Would it be so difficult for parents and schools to bring up children who would learn these things by example, and perhaps in one class in "Health & Hygiene"?  It comes under the category of good manners.  Why are people so clueless?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeganAnn. Show MeganAnn's posts

One young lady showed up in a navy blue skirt and crisp white shirt and was carrying her suit jacket as it was about 90 degrees outside. The outfit was entirely appropriate except, what she didn't know (I hope she didn't know) is that we could all see her neon pink bra clearly through the white shirt. It was extremely distracting to say the least. Pay attention to your foundation garments too!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFeltri. Show JKFeltri's posts

For my first interview out of college I was living back at home with my parents. My well-meaning but out-of-touch mother decided that she would “do my hair” the night before the interview.  She rolled it up in curlers and put all manner of sticky and fruity-smelling hair product in it. The interview was the next morning, and I woke up early got my resume and portfolio together, ate breakfast, got dressed and then we sat down in front of a mirror to unveil my hair.  When she unrolled it I cried…a lot.  It looked like a cross between a poodle and Dynasty-era Joan Collins.  I told my mother that I wanted to quickly shower and wash the curl out, but she assured me that it would look great and said that I didn’t have the time to wash it out and still get to the interview on time. No matter what my mother did, the hair just wouldn’t look right. When I got to the interview all three people who met with me asked me questions like “how long does it take to get your hair like that?” and “do you do that every morning?”.  Needless to say, I didn’t get the job and my mother has never done my hair since.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

If you have to be told most any of this stuff, you don't deserve a job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Slack. Show Slack's posts

And slightly off topic, if we can reply to posts and edit posts on these discussion boards, why the hell can't we do the same thing on the regular comment sections for stories?  Oh yeah, that's right, BDC won't let us.  Brilliant!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

I was just out of college, too, going for an interview.  My stocking snagged on the way to the interview, and now there was a big hole in it.  I spent a lot of time preparing -- hygiene, nice interview suit, hair and makeup looked good...but now this.

There wasn't a drug store in sight where I could quickly go in and buy a new pair of stockings.  I asked myself if I should go anywhere, and put a brave face on the situation, or just turn around and go back home.  I *really* needed a job -- at that point, any job would have done.  I went to the interview, and tried my darndest to conceal the situation as much as possible.  I fear the more i tried to conceal it, the more obvious it was that something was wrong.  Need I say that I did not get the job?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I was taking the bus to a job interview, in the summer, when some clown washing his car outside decided to spray the hose at the bus into the open windows. I was drenched, nearly head to toe, with no time to go home and change. I touched up my make-up and pulled my hair back in a bun, but I thought there would be no saving the clothes.

It did dry (within reason) by the time I got to the interview, but everything was wrinkled (blouse and skirt). I did get the job, though, because the manager had sympathy for my unfortunate turn of events.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I had someone who worked in a different department recommend his girlfriend for a position in my department.  I knew this guy and was receptive to the interview.  When she showed up, she was in a jogging suit with her hair pulled back in a scrunchie.  She looked like she rolled out of bed.  When I asked for her resume, she pulled it out of the bottom of her pocketbook and it was a mess of wrinkles.  She was 31 and had been working at a supermarket since high school.  When I asked her what interested her in my job position, she told me it would be nice to work for the same company as her boyfriend but didn't like the hours I was offering and could I change them.  Ummm... no.  Oh and I asked her if she had any switchboard experience at all and she replied, how hard can it be to answer a phone?  Really funny but sad for someone her age.  Probably still bagging groceries unless someone gave her a clue.  And her boyfriend wouldn't speak to me after I didn't hire her... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Amethyst2. Show Amethyst2's posts

Wow, ambergirl...in her 30's?  That's sad.

Office technology has become very advanced.  When I started working, the Selectric II typewriter was the *it* piece of office equipment.  That, and the mimeograph machine.  Yes, I'm dating myself.  Got myself through college on a manual typewriter!

Switchboards can be very complex.  She's going to have a pretty rude awakening coming to her.  I hope that she has someone in her life who can clue  her in to the basics; and even gets her into some schooling. 

I'm in my 50's, and sometimes I'm a little scared at how fast things are changing.  You've really got to keep up! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Amethyst, I too am in my 50's and remember everything you mentioned!  Too funny as my DD has no clue when I speak of those things.  Switchboards are pretty much getting fazed out, so happy I jumped on learning technology when it was offered in the work place.  Wasn't always just "there".  The job position wasn't just for switchboard, we did a ton of stuff.  We were the "reception desk" for 1200 employees, so very busy.  She didn't know what multi task even meant.  Yes, very sad indeed.  I too get a little scared and to be honest just can't wait to retire, but we have a ways to go...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hollyhock. Show hollyhock's posts

I am a female manager working in high tech. I will never hire a woman who is showing cleavage during an interview, even if she's wearing a conservative blouse and suit.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizzo. Show lizzo's posts

I showed up at a job interview for a professional corporate position wearing a black suit (with skirt) and white shell underneath.  I looked put-together and professional.  I was aware that people did not wear suits to work at this place on a regular basis, but I was interviewing for a masters degree-required exempt position and figured it's always best to overdress a bit for the interview. (Daily attire for professional men at this company is usually dress shirts/dress pants/dress shoes, no jacket or tie, and for professional women, maybe cardigan or blouse and slacks, with dress capris in the summer.)  The HR rep made me feel extremely uncomfortable by saying, "you look lovely, don't get me wrong, but this isn't what people wear here and it looks out of place."  I thought it was really inappropriate of her to address my attire at all (when I was dressed very professionally... it might have been appropriate to address it had I been wearing cut-off shorts and a tank top.)  She immediately made me feel uncomfortable, and like I had done something wrong.  There was no need to alert me to the fact that the typical workplace attire was more casual... that's generally a given at most companies these days, but it doesn't usually apply to interview attire as long as you're still in a corporate environment.

I did end up getting the job, and accepted the offer.  Even after working there and experiencing the culture, I still felt that her comment was really inappropriate.  It definitely was the kind of place where you should dress up to interview for a professional position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncool926. Show uncool926's posts

I knew a senior partner at a downtown law firm in the '90's who didn't like to hire anyone with good handwriting!

Of course, he was a little crazy...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I see most of the people who come into my agency to interview or apply for jobs..and I am always amazed at the ones who seem to have no clue. I've seen the whole range..from people dressed professionally and appropriately to people who look like they are on their way to the gym..the beach..or a club. Our new HR manager is very blunt..and she has no problem telling people they are dressed inappropriately. Granted ..we hire the whole gamut of skill sets..but to me..I don't care if your applying for a cook position or an office position..you should still dress professionally.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-One. Show Big-One's posts

What about interviewees showing up with labels and tags still on their outfits?  Were they planning to return them if they didn't get the job?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheosSeasonOfChoke. Show TheosSeasonOfChoke's posts

shorts... i am still shaking my head.... shorts!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishguy. Show fishguy's posts

In Response to Re: Job interview attire horror stories:
    [QUOTE]I showed up at a job interview for a professional corporate position wearing a black suit (with skirt) and white shell underneath.  I looked put-together and professional.  I was aware that people did not wear suits to work at this place on a regular basis, but I was interviewing for a masters degree-required exempt position and figured it's always best to overdress a bit for the interview. (Daily attire for professional men at this company is usually dress shirts/dress pants/dress shoes, no jacket or tie, and for professional women, maybe cardigan or blouse and slacks, with dress capris in the summer.)  The HR rep made me feel extremely uncomfortable by saying, "you look lovely, don't get me wrong, but this isn't what people wear here and it looks out of place."  I thought it was really inappropriate of her to address my attire at all (when I was dressed very professionally... it might have been appropriate to address it had I been wearing cut-off shorts and a tank top.)  She immediately made me feel uncomfortable, and like I had done something wrong.  There was no need to alert me to the fact that the typical workplace attire was more casual... that's generally a given at most companies these days, but it doesn't usually apply to interview attire as long as you're still in a corporate environment. I did end up getting the job, and accepted the offer.  Even after working there and experiencing the culture, I still felt that her comment was really inappropriate.  It definitely was the kind of place where you should dress up to interview for a professional position.
    Posted by lizzo[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from daizy. Show daizy's posts

ll;k;lk;l

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I can officially top all these stories...last week we had a woman come into the front office to apply for a job...dressed in pajamas and a bathrobe. I am not joking. Sometimes we get some rather low functioning people off the streets looking for work..but this one took the cake. No doubt she likely had some issues.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In Response to Re: Job interview attire horror stories:
    [QUOTE]I have not done a lot of interviewing, but I have some stories.  I had a guy bite his finger nails all thru the interview, then get insulted when I would shake his hand afterward.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]
    That's gross..I would have passed on the handshake as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I have witnessed the full spectrum -
    Shorts
    White, ill-fitting capri pants
    Too much cleavage
    A fur coat (oddly, she also looked like Liza Minelli)
    A full kilt and Scottish grab (he said he was going to a holiday party straight afterwards).
    Sweat pants with uggs
    White, open toed sandals, with nylons (so wrong on every level)

And yes, to answer the original question, what you wear to an interview does make a difference. Even if you know that the company may be a little more casual, always err on the side of caution and go with a suit, or at the every least a button shirt and dress pants/skirt. To do anything less shows poor judgement.