Job interview attire horror stories

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from npxm. Show npxm's posts

Re: Job interview attire horror stories

job interview? what's that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr-InsightFul. Show Mr-InsightFul's posts

slack is a whinner

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from akjorlaug. Show akjorlaug's posts

I was hiring a new Nursery Coordinator for the church I was Pastor at.  When the candidate arrived, she was wearing jeans with several holes in them (intentional or otherwise), a shirt that had a couple of stains on it, and had several facial piercings.  On paper this was the best candidate, but there was no way I could hire her to be a warm professional face to children and their parents in that attire.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonUberAlles. Show BostonUberAlles's posts

I can offer one suggestion from experience:  I had an interview with a firm so I carried my cell phone with me but turned off the ringer; I did have it on vibrate, however.  Of course, I received a call and that thing was buzzing against my leg for the initial call and then the reminder buzz that I had a voicemail during the entire interview.  It was so distracting I think that was one reason I did not get the position. On a more positive note regarding overdressing:  I worked at a top executive search firm during the dot com boom;  everyone was into casual dress and thought you were weird to wear a suit.  There were 2 guys in our office who always wore suits and ties;  Those guys were the top producers!  So they went through that annoyance of wearing nice clothes and had to suffer with carrying home a fat paycheck!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from buggie10. Show buggie10's posts

In Response to Re: Job interview attire horror stories:
    [QUOTE]I was just out of college, too, going for an interview.  My stocking snagged on the way to the interview, and now there was a big hole in it.  I spent a lot of time preparing -- hygiene, nice interview suit, hair and makeup looked good...but now this. There wasn't a drug store in sight where I could quickly go in and buy a new pair of stockings.  I asked myself if I should go anywhere, and put a brave face on the situation, or just turn around and go back home.  I *really* needed a job -- at that point, any job would have done.  I went to the interview, and tried my darndest to conceal the situation as much as possible.  I fear the more i tried to conceal it, the more obvious it was that something was wrong.  Need I say that I did not get the job?
    Posted by Maldenlady[/QUOTE]

Ugh I had a similar experience wearing a light colored, thin summer suit. By the time I got to the interview, I was sweating through it under the armpits! I couldn't believe it-- I had spent days putting together a maticulous outfit and even got my hair done so it would look neater and it was all ruined. There was no way I could conceal it and the more nervous it made me the more I sweat. It was so embarassing and I didn't get the job.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from buggie10. Show buggie10's posts

I've always worn suits to interviews even if the company is casual, however, I don't think it's totally out of the question to subtly adorn oneself or wear something to stand out just a little and still look professional. If an interviewer is "distracted" by a bright, solid-colored tie, collar, bag or accessory with a dark/neutral suit, they have some problems! As long as you're neat, clean, and professional, something as simple as a pop of color can show you have a personality-- because really interviewers are looking for that too, they want to know how you'll fit into the culture. Plus it's hard to be remembered in a sea of people in black, white, and gray.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Loving every single post, but RFBF, getting drenched by a hose on the bus on the way to an interview?! Holy cow! If I didn't know you, I'd wonder if you'd made it up it's so crazy, but man, I can't imagine that moment of realization that you processed what just happened...sorry, but that is some funny story.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEAN9999. Show JEAN9999's posts

I was interviewing for a finance position.  I had taken the afternoon off for my interview.  Conservative business suit, brief case, extra resumes and my reference list.  I was ready.  As I crossed the street on my way to the interview, I fell.  I was so embarrassed that I got up quickly and continued on my way.  My left foot hurt, but I continued on.  The interview went great and they gave me a tour of the entire building.  I got home and couldn't get my shoe off.  I had broken my foot during my fall.  No, I didn't get the job because of lack of experience.  Well, I had 20+ years of experience.  So I still will always wonder why.......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cedrikduncan011. Show cedrikduncan011's posts

That is really a horror story we all know that in job interview we need to be in formal attire cause it show pleasant personality.In fact that is one of my main reason why i am hired in a recruitment agency at http://www.raukola.fi/ in Finland including the right answer for all the question in interview.