1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Online Resume submissions

Hi,

It has been many years since I've been job-hunting, and I'm not sure how to follow up after submitting a resume online. I just submitted my resume and cover letter (tailored for the specific position), and I have no idea if I should be following up with an email a few days later, to ensure it was received, or if I just have to trust that it is in the right hands and receiving attention. Should I be calling the HR department at the company? And if I should be following up, how soon after submission should I be doing something? Also, in what format should a resume be emailed? I submitted a PDF file, is something else more appropriate?

Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thank You!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Online Resume submissions

I haven't submitted a resume in a long time, either, but if I wanted the latest and greatest advice about all these great questions, I'd go to Monster.com and read their tips and tools articles.  They are on the cutting edge of what is acceptable and recommended (as well as the no-nos).

GL!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

A few thoughts from someone in HR -

* I prefer PDF resumes - That way the recruiter/HR knows that this is the intended format etc of the resume (with Word updates etc, sometimes kinks in the system can alter the appearance of what you have submitted) so you have ticked that box.  Also good is that you tailored the cover letter to address the selection criteria - there is nothing more annoying than getting a blanket cover letter which does not mention the name of company to which you are applying (if that is in the ad), why you want to work there specifically, or doesn't address the skills/experience/qualifications that the ad asked for.

* Re-read the advertisement to which you are responding - does it say on there that only suitable candidates will be contacted?  Or, did you receive an auto response stating the same? If so, then don't call or the HR department, they will contact you if you are a suitable candidate for interview. If after a few weeks you have stil not heard anything, yet you notice that the job is still advertised, you may call them at that time just to check the status of the position.

* Don't call and ask them "I was just calling to check if you received my resume".  This is annoying. Safely assume that if you emailed it and it didn't get bounced back to you, then it has made it to the correct destination.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Thank you for your feedback - I really appreciate it. Plus, I feel like I've at least handled the logistics of submission correctly now!

In Response to Re: Online Resume submissions:
    [QUOTE]A few thoughts from someone in HR - * I prefer PDF resumes - That way the recruiter/HR knows that this is the intended format etc of the resume (with Word updates etc, sometimes kinks in the system can alter the appearance of what you have submitted) so you have ticked that box.  Also good is that you tailored the cover letter to address the selection criteria - there is nothing more annoying than getting a blanket cover letter which does not mention the name of company to which you are applying (if that is in the ad), why you want to work there specifically, or doesn't address the skills/experience/qualifications that the ad asked for. * Re-read the advertisement to which you are responding - does it say on there that only suitable candidates will be contacted?  Or, did you receive an auto response stating the same? If so, then don't call or the HR department, they will contact you if you are a suitable candidate for interview. If after a few weeks you have stil not heard anything, yet you notice that the job is still advertised, you may call them at that time just to check the status of the position. * Don't call and ask them "I was just calling to check if you received my resume".  This is annoying. Safely assume that if you emailed it and it didn't get bounced back to you, then it has made it to the correct destination.
    Posted by Prill[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Thanks so much for the tip - I'll check it out.

In Response to Re: Online Resume submissions:
    [QUOTE]I haven't submitted a resume in a long time, either, but if I wanted the latest and greatest advice about all these great questions, I'd go to Monster.com and read their tips and tools articles.  They are on the cutting edge of what is acceptable and recommended (as well as the no-nos). GL!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

So, irony of all ironies, just a few hours after submitting this topic, I received an email from the company I was interested in to inform me that the position has been filled. I'm disappointed, but at least I'm no longer wondering if / when I should contact them. Plus, I now have a resume and cover letter put together for the first time since 1994!