1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

Putting up with Ivy Leaguers at work...

Don't mean to offend anybody with this thread, but I have had the "privilege" of working with 2 Ivy League alum in my short career.

For some reason, everyone in the office found them both difficult to work with. No matter what you do, theres no pleasing them. Perform well and they get all defensive/nasty like somebody is challenging them. Make a mistake and they look/talk down on you. Talk about what you did on the weekend and they will get all insecure and start insulting you personally. Why such a big chip on the shoulder?

Has anybody else ran into this???? Or did I just luck out and find the exception rather than the rule?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Re: Putting up with Ivy Leaguers at work...

Better than having to listen to sports-talk all day by some Bridgewater State dolt.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

In Response to Re: Putting up with Ivy Leaguers at work...:
    [QUOTE]Better than having to listen to sports-talk all day by some Bridgewater State dolt.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]

Haha... You might want to "suggest" that he buy some headphones.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WMNN, sorry you are dealing with this, but it doesn't sound too unusual to me from my experience.  Snootiness seems to be born and bred in many of those "good school" people.  I know it's not PC to say so, but that's been my experience, too, whether it's nice to say it out loud or not.

A well thought out dressing down usually does some good.  Describe how their attitude of superiority does damage to the work environment and ask them how their purposefully creating tension and feelings of disdain among team members pays homage to how smart they are.  Tell them at the same time and in front of others at an opportune moment of their making.  They will not want to be addressed that way, again, and might change their behavior to avoid subsequent embarrassment over the same issue.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

It's really not fair to brush thousands of people with the same brush. You may get a few Ivy Leaguers who act that way, but you get the same attitude from plenty of BU, BC, etc., alums as well.

Maybe the chip on the shoulder goes both ways and you're overly sensitive to them because of an insecurity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

[QUOTE]It's really not fair to brush thousands of people with the same brush. You may get a few Ivy Leaguers who act that way, but you get the same attitude from plenty of BU, BC, etc., alums as well. Maybe the chip on the shoulder goes both ways and you're overly sensitive to them because of an insecurity.
    Posted by RedFishBlueFish[/QUOTE]

Your point about painting a whole group of people with the same brush is a fair one. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people with "attitudes" from other schools as well. For some reason, it seems to be the Ivy Leaguers that I worked with that took it to the the extreme..

As far as me having a chip on my shoulder.... I'm not the only one in my office who shares this observation. I'm not perfect, but the fact that a whole slew of people in my office have felt comfortable enough with me to discuss this topic this shows I'm a pretty levelheaded guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Putting up with Ivy Leaguers at work... : Your point about painting a whole group of people with the same brush is a fair one. Yes, I'm sure there are plenty of people with "attitudes" from other schools as well. For some reason, it seems to be the Ivy Leaguers that I worked with that took it to the the extreme.. As far as me having a chip on my shoulder.... I'm not the only one in my office who shares this observation. I'm not perfect, but the fact that a whole slew of people in my office have felt comfortable enough with me to discuss this topic this shows I'm a pretty levelheaded guy.
    Posted by ManWithNoName[/QUOTE]

I lived by BC. Weekends with them were all drunk, all the time; no fun.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Well, if they're the type that feel the need to define themselves by their shiny diplomas, then you'll get that attitude.

I've worked at my job for five years. There are plenty of people there who still don't know where I went to college (an Ivy) and most who do reacted initially by saying "but you're so normal." Most of my classmates have had similar experiences.

I happen to think that a lot of people think it's fine to bash on Ivy Leaguers, which is why the others in the office probably feel it's fair game. I wish I could fully understand why that is, but I suppose I never will, since I'm one of "those" people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I spent two years at Harvard as a special student, and I'm one of the earthiest people around.

Neeenah.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi ManWithNoName, I hope what you're experience is the exeption rather than the rule. My husband is an Ivy Alum.The only way he could afford it was through a football scholarship and determination. His family was lower middle class. He absolutely has no attitude except for being grateful. I went to a nursing school,and he's more impressed with my degree than his. Maybe you're co-workers are new grads and are covering up some insecurities. If not, they would probably be obnoxious no matter where they graduated from.I'm curious as to what these two do on weekends,that they feel they can insult you're plans. Anyway, I hope things get better. Maybe a blank stare and a Hmm. would work. b.g.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

I swear I know when to use "your" rather than "you're". It's kind of ironic given the topic of this thread. My typing is pathetic! Oh well, I try. Have a great day everyone!b.g.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

I also know how to spell "exception". Wow, I thought I had spellcheck! b.g.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Generally haughty people who go to Ivy League schools will use their degree to boast and brag.  Generally humble people who go to Ivy League schools won't.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maldenlady. Show Maldenlady's posts

My folks were both Ivy Leaguers...they ended up in jobs that demanded a lot of them, but that were very stressful and didn't pay a whole lot, but it's what they wanted to do.

Their backgrounds gave them an entry into the country club set, which my mother loved, my dad had to get used to (because he was brought up lower middle class).  There was a snootiness to them, that I rebelled against.  I went to an OK school, not great. 

When I moved up to Boston, I took a secretarial job at, uh, an ivy school in the area.  Boy, did I resent some of those people!  It was interesting though, because I also got to meet some very accomplished people who didn't feel like they needed to prove anything.  That was refreshing -- I didn't get that snooty feeling from them.  One of them wrote a prime textbook that I *devoured* as part of my college major!  A treat to meet him.  The others, though -- i had to bite my tongue not to say -- "now look here -- my folks were ivy league, country club set, too...so you can cut the (unclassy word)".  But I resisted.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In my experience, it's been less an attitude from the folks who actually attended the Ivy Leagues, and more something talked about, as if the sheer fact of it makes them more important.  Around my workplace, it's common for other folks to end their sentences with things like,  "... because, you know, she went to Harvard!"  As if that should admonish me or others in some way.  and I always have to bite my tongue to say, "Yes, 20 years ago.  That's relevant how, exactly?"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

[QUOTE]Hi ManWithNoName, I hope what you're experience is the exeption rather than the rule. My husband is an Ivy Alum.The only way he could afford it was through a football scholarship and determination. His family was lower middle class. He absolutely has no attitude except for being grateful. I went to a nursing school,and he's more impressed with my degree than his. Maybe you're co-workers are new grads and are covering up some insecurities. If not, they would probably be obnoxious no matter where they graduated from.I'm curious as to what these two do on weekends,that they feel they can insult you're plans. Anyway, I hope things get better. Maybe a blank stare and a Hmm. would work. b.g.
    Posted by beastsgirl[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice Beastsgirl. Luckily, the worst offender was laid off this summer..

I'm sure he was the exception rather than the rule. No doubt he was insecure. He always acted, and in some cases actually TOLD people that he thought he was above everyone else. Even though he worked at the same company with average guys like me!!! I didn't make this thread to insult anyone ( Your husband sounds like a pretty cool guy ) Like I said, I only joined the workforce a few years ago. Just wanted to get others feedback/experiences.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

[QUOTE]Well, if they're the type that feel the need to define themselves by their shiny diplomas, then you'll get that attitude. I've worked at my job for five years. There are plenty of people there who still don't know where I went to college (an Ivy) and most who do reacted initially by saying "but you're so normal ." Most of my classmates have had similar experiences. I happen to think that a lot of people think it's fine to bash on Ivy Leaguers, which is why the others in the office probably feel it's fair game. I wish I could fully understand why that is, but I suppose I never will, since I'm one of "those" people.
    Posted by RedFishBlueFish[/QUOTE]

Thats probably the truth... and in most cases unfair.

Not sure why that is. Maybe because Ivy Leaguers make up a small group and one bad apple ruins it for the whole bunch. Not sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I have had the 'pleasure' of working all three shift over the years (and I use the term pleasure loosely).
     I've run into the ivy leaguers. You can tell by their suits. They know nothing except for how to humiliate everyone else as they're, in their minds, better than everyone else in the department.

I have one thing to say to all the ivy leaguers out there: when I take the stack of work you're putting me down for doing and tell you to do it and you can't, don't complane to me when I take the stack and smash it over your head with full force.

Yes, I'll scare them back into the corner and the difference between the other workers and the ivy leaguers is the normal worker bees tend to the have the superviser and manager on their side, which is something the ivy leaguers never, ever, seem to figuer out.

I was even lucky enough to be in a class at work for business english and a ivy leaguer actually had the gall to start arguing with the guy running the class.
     Get it through your head: you've been taught 4 years of bull from people who haven't worked an honest day's work in their life. The real world doesn't conform to you automatically. You have to make it conform to you, and you are going to find that much more difficult to do than anyone in school will tell you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

BG - we all make spelling mistakes. Especially I, who did not go to school here. But you are right, the spell check works wonders.
    You know, you can go into "edit" and correct any mistake you did. I love that feature and do it all the time. You may think my English is perfect - but it is not at all. I depend heavily on the spell checker and the editing feature.
    - Pingo
    [QUOTE]I also know how to spell "exception". Wow, I thought I had spellcheck! b.g.
    Posted by beastsgirl[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

ManWithNoName,
    I read you very clear. We try not to hire ivy leaguers i our company, many come with an attitude. I am glad for you that the guy in question got laid off/fired/left on his own. Whatever, I hope for you, your work environment is much more pleasant for you.
    All this said, my son is a so called ivy-leaguer. He has a BS double major, 3 MS degrees and now his PhD. And you know what? You can't find a more down to earth person, than him. I tease him all the time calling him "doctor" - but that makes him really upset.
    I think it depends a lot on the person. Not whatever degrees they have accumulated and to whatever school, they went to. - Pingo