What makes a great workplace?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Denisohainle. Show Denisohainle's posts

several things;
    1) a boss/company who knows how to treat you like you a person and not a machine.
    2) a boss/company that realizes that you have a life outside of work.
    3) co-workers who do not have an "attitude"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamboston. Show jamboston's posts

- flexible work hours and/or telecommuting options
    - fair pay scales, regular COLA and Merir increases
    - offices, not cubes
    - opportunities for professional development (conferences, classes, etc)
    - able to take your birthday off with pay, and not taking from vacation time
    - competitive benefits and time off plans
    - small things too - like a fridge with free drinks, or an annual BBQ/holiday party - non-work things with colleagues, during working hours, to make a warmer work environment.
    - a culture where the management feels lucky to have it's workers, not where they try to make employees feel lucky to have a job.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarsellusWallace. Show MarsellusWallace's posts

The people working at the Winchester Hospital are awesome! From the nurses to the women in ER that register you when you first come in. The ER could be packed and they take the time to be compassionate and careing. Way to go girls!
    You can tell that the employees really like working there. Best ER around. Best hospital around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hmr0810. Show hmr0810's posts

I worked at Winchester Hospital as a nurse's assistant a few years ago, and I have to disagree. Perhaps it has changed since then or it was limited to the floor I worked on, but when I worked there they would consitently call off staff (to save money) and the floors would be understaffed. I watched several patients get WORSE during their stay there because there was not enough nursing staff to attend to them and give them the complete care they needed. Also, the nurse's assistants were overworked and from what I saw, did not put as much care and devotion towards their jobs due to being tired and overwhelmed. Winchester Hospital also has just about the worst billing department I have ever dealt with.
    Here are a few things I believe contribute to a great work place:
    Good benefits
    Welcoming and supportive co-workers
    A laid back and fun atmosphere (when appropriate)
    Managers respect employees and are thankful for the their effort
    An appropriate amount of time off
    Opportunities for professional development

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craigvalk. Show craigvalk's posts

I'm happy for the Winchester Hospital staff, my family has been treated there several times and all I can say is it's a first class operation, and the staff is fantastic. No surprise that they're number one.
    It is my first choice of where to go for treatment.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michelle2112. Show Michelle2112's posts

One word: Fairness

If employees feel they are all treated fairly, that promotes a positive environment.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALFMAN1000. Show ALFMAN1000's posts

I don't think it's being..... "able to take your birthday off with pay, and not taking from vacation time" as jamboston wrote. That's a bit specific.
    I agree with most of the rest of his/her comments but he/she says nothing about the worker's responsibility in creating a positive work environment. I run a business that treats people very well and offers all the things listed (and more) and some people take it all for granted. They look for reasons to complain so I'll add the following point:
    1. A place where workers appreciate the positive aspects of the job and keep the whining over nothing to a minimum.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

I was glad to see that a hospital has the happiest employees in the state. Congrats on working there.

Most important things:

1. A Boss that gives responsible employees space and more control.

2. Co-workers who are talkative/good sense of humor

3. Co-workers who don't dump all their work on everyone else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from insider007. Show insider007's posts

I would not put much weight on this ranking at all. Is a joke that Millennium Pharma makes the best places to work list, that place is a circus.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from quincyite. Show quincyite's posts

Winchester Hospital saved my life by recognizing life threatening symptoms that other facilites failed to recognize. I salute Winchester Hospital!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoomersRockToo. Show BoomersRockToo's posts

"Ask Not What Your Company Can Do For You..."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from David427. Show David427's posts

I think Michelle2112 (rush?) summed it up the best. Fairness. It's all I could ask for and all I could hope for. Haven't found it very often in 25 years tho.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beautmind64. Show beautmind64's posts

managers that do aren't so motivated by fear of the higher ups that they are unfair to their employees.
    managers/supervisors who don't just sit by and complain about work not getting done but don't offer concrete solutions to problems or pitch in.
    managers/supervisors who appreciate hard work/initiative/intelligence and don't try to overlook it - far tooo obvious and it shows their ignorance......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beautmind64. Show beautmind64's posts

[Quote]One word: Fairness

If employees feel they are all treated fairly, that promotes a positive environment.[/Quote]
    I couldn't agree more, when people are unfair it truly shows their lack of skills (particularly managerial/people skills)
    Being unfair is the basis of many many lawsuits won!
    :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tina160. Show tina160's posts

I think I can wrap up everone's input by saying "Mutual Respect"!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokescreenAgent. Show SmokescreenAgent's posts

Well, here's a refreshing topic!

I like my current job, had to take a paycut and it's been a gut-wrenching career change but overall I think the rollercoaster is smoothing out.

I think the most crucial elements are to have enough freedom with tasks to not be watched over every step of the way. I do things that my boss and many co-workers do not know how to do, this allows me to specialize in an area and it makes me feel like an important team member because not everyone can duplicate my work. I like the fact that people generally let me take projects from A to Z without constant checking up on me. I guess the biggest thing is I feel like my work is benefitting the company and myself, whereas my jobs I did not like I was always supporting someone else, now I feel very much like I am doing my own function and the direct beneficiary is the company with myself as a secondary because I get recognition for my efforts. Prior jobs were never rewarding because I was more or less just supporting a supervisor in thier campaign to become wealthy, not I feel like I am building my own foundation. I think for me it's just good to have freedom at work and with that comes a level of accountability I never had before, I take all the credit and the blame for the good and the bad of my specialization.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nasochkas. Show Nasochkas's posts

Re: What makes a great workplace?

- humane work hours
    - co-workers and management whom you can respect and learn from and are intellectually curious
    - interesting work with some variety

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bynxers. Show Bynxers's posts

I am surprised by the poll:

While employers need to pay their employees livable wages based fairly on education, experience and cost of living... is it worth a poor work environment, horrible hours, megative impact on family/social life?

-Opportunity for growth
    -Fair pay
    -Pleasant work environment
    -Mutual Respect
    -Fair work hours

Happy workers= better work product.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lrecliner. Show lrecliner's posts

No Micromanaging!!! That type of environment brings with it an advesarial relationship btwn Mgt and its employees which in turn breeds a lot of mistrust and low morale among employees. Micromanaging always goes too far. It starts off as something minor and then it just snowballs.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

There are many many things that make a good work place but in order for everything else to fall into "good" terms.  You need to have a good manager/ boss/ superviser.  They alone can make or break an employee's work environment.  I've had my many fair share of the Ph'D "know it all" managers, micro managers, hostile /yelling managers, and "treat you like a kid managers.  I've all so have a very few fair decent managers, like I said very few.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManWithNoName. Show ManWithNoName's posts

I think the fair pay things goes a long way..............

My first company out of college thought they could recruit and keep great talent by paying bad wages.... Not surprisingly, most of us young people checked out for greener pastures (pun intended) after accumulating a couple years of experience.

Most companies should learn from the Red Sox and Yankees. You have to spend some money to build quality teams...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LLinda123. Show LLinda123's posts

- Equality for all, not just for long term employees -sometimes the long term people are just not able to go anywhere else - it doesn't mean they are necesarily more skilled
    - Decent amount of time off that's equitable for all
    - Ample sick time
    - A boss that is supportive and backs you up completely
    - Appreciation for the work you do and the extra tasks you take on
    - Openess - secrecy hides unfairness
    - Flexible work arrangements - equitable for all
    - Being treated as a professional - people rise to the way they are treated - if treated like children, they will act like children
    - Trust - unless I have given you reason to not trust me, assume I am trustworthy
    - Respect - treat people with respect - just because you're the CEO doesn't give you the right to treat people with disrespect and rudeness

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floundah. Show Floundah's posts

What the others said about pay, benefits, and being treated with common courtesy and fairness.

About decency and fairness: I would like to see an employer who has the courage to stand up for you. A while ago, I was sexually assaulted at my job by my immediate supervisor. After getting some professional advice, I followed proper procedure by going to HR and did what I could to be helpful and pleasant about the entire matter. In exchange for my efforts to have the situation handled properly, my employer made it clear that I was no longer welcome. It didn't matter that I had worked there for some time and had done good work.

Aside from a symbolic slap on the wrist where my supervisor had to take a class in sexual harassment, he was never punished. He still has his job and didn't even receive a pay cut. In the meantime, I have had to find other work.

_______

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from vinca123. Show vinca123's posts

Simple... People are treated with the respect that they are due for simply being... people...

This means your employer respects...

That you have a personal life and does not treat you like a slave...

That you have the right to come to work and be free from bullying and harassment...

That you are not discriminated against because of race, gender, religion, etc, etc, etc... This non-discrimination applies to hiring, promotions, pay, etc, etc, etc...

It boils down to the "Golden Rule" treat others (your employees) the way that you would want to be treated!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I am a very big believer in the workstyle of getting it done as fast as possible when it's there, but when there isn't any work, I do what I want.

You can't do this on day shift. I work nights, and I get away with more things than you can imagine, but rest assured, when the work is there, it is always done on time and in the correct way, and no matter what I was doing when the work hits, the work must always come first.

Finding a manager that thinks along those lines, however, is not easy. I've been lucky in this respect.

Sections
Shortcuts