50+ YEARS of Confidential Chat Recipes saved in albums...and in her heart!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

50+ YEARS of Confidential Chat Recipes saved in albums...and in her heart!!

Greetings to All,

I am writing to you about my neighbor, a 50+yr. faithful veteran of clipping recipes from the Boston Globe's Confidential Chat column, before it went digital.  She just turned 78 yrs. young this week, and so we took her to see the movie Julie and Julia for the fun of it all. She's not prone to French cooking but has tried a gazillion recipes via Confidential Chat.  We youngsters had a tea party with her in her screen house before we headed out, but not until we had gooey choc. pudding cake and other delights. It was a fitting way to begin the day.

I asked her to pull out her 9? or so photo type albums which are filled with recipes she had clipped out of the newspaper over the years. Each album has a theme, i.e. Meats, Desserts, Casseroles, etc.  The yellow pages and newsprint are reminiscent of something homespun from simpler times. She has fond recollections of different contributors and entries and just plain LOVED reading the column. It was a huge part of her social world. Her favorite contributor was 'Medico', and I wonder where the other favorites might be today.  I went online to find info about the column and was surprised to find this forum.  So, if any of you are 'veterans' or even newbies and would like to send her a message, I will be happy to print them out and hand deliver your notes and/or recipes.

Happy Cooking!  
    FlourLady

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: 50+ YEARS of Confidential Chat Recipes saved in albums...and in her heart!!

Some of us who contribute today to Confidential Chat, are "oldies" as well.  We contributed back when first married and our families were young.  We shared advice on child rearing, housekeeping, and recipes.  There are several of us who have kept up contributing to the column through the transition from paper to computer.

I wonder if you ever wrote in yourself, and if so, what nom you used.  I started writing in the 60's when my oldest was just a toddler and his favorite toy was his "toy trumpet", hence my nom.  When I found C.C. online, I posted "Calling Other Chatters".  Perhaps those old posts are still somewhere here under Confidential Chat if you click back enough pages.  If you're able to pull them up, I'm sure you would recognize a lot of the names that we all remembered and looked forward to hearing from in the column.

Confidential Chat touched a lot of young women's (and men's) lives through the years. We're fortunate to still have a way of "chatting" and sharing and keeping in touch.  New posters have joined and add a new dimension, as well as the addition of many other threads covering topics that are relevant to them in these times. We're still here "chatting" and would be glad to have you join in.

Best wishes,
    toytrumpet

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Re: 50+ YEARS of Confidential Chat Recipes saved in albums...and in her heart!!

Nice to hear from you.  Sorry to say that I only recently became aware of C.C. through my neighbor. She is such a whirlwind of activity that the recipe books and her dedication to them was lost in the layers beneath her other clippings and collections.  So I am only recently aware, and just today finding out that the column still lives, in a newer format.  

My neighbor, G.G., aside from being a collector of recipes and other fun tidbits,  is also a doll maker and has just finished her own version of Michele and Barak Obama.  She had envisioned Michele in an inaugural gown lonnnng before he ever won the bid for the democratic party. 

GG is an old fashioned gal for sure, but contemporary in her own ways.  The techno world of computers has not entered her life and probably won't, so I am the link to that zone for her.  She's really not interested in anything that isn't tangible. 

My children are about the same age as yours, so we are in the same decade? 
    Unfortunately I never knew of C.C.  I will be happy to contribute a few New Mexican dishes to the forum in the near future. I'm not much of a baker, because I'd eat too much of what I shouldn't. 

Thank you for your post. I will print it out and hand deliver it to G.G.

FlourLady

Sections
Shortcuts