Apple Cake recipe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappySunTan. Show HappySunTan's posts

Apple Cake recipe

Years ago, Florence from Wethersfield gave a recipe on the Yankee Kitchen for an Apple Cake, she said that she had made it for a wedding.  It had raisins and apples in it, a friend had the recipe and lost it and she would dearly love to make it again.  I hope that someone will be able to help.  Thank you,  Happy Sun Tan

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Re: Apple Cake recipe

My neighbor with the extensive 50 yr. collection of recipes from C.C. looked through her books for an Apple Cake recipe. If one of these sounds right, I'll head over to her house to copy it for you.  She's an old fashioned gal and everything is written in long hand when copied from her collection. 

This is what she found;

Spiced Apple Cake (with raisins)....from Irish Indian

Apple Pie Cake with raisins   (2 versions)
    One from........Cakes n' Cookies
    another from...Handy Man's Honey

Topsy Turvy Apple Cake...............from The King Pin Kid
    (no raisins)

Applenut Spice Cake ...................from Marlena

Fresh Apple Cake........................ from The Goose Hangs High

Flour Lady and neighbor G.G.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Apple Cake recipe:
    [QUOTE]My neighbor with the extensive 50 yr. collection of recipes from C.C. looked through her books for an Apple Cake recipe. If one of these sounds right, I'll head over to her house to copy it for you.  She's an old fashioned gal and everything is written in long hand when copied from her collection.   This is what she found; Spiced Apple Cake (with raisins)....from Irish Indian Apple Pie Cake with raisins   (2 versions) One from........Cakes n' Cookies another from...Handy Man's Honey Topsy Turvy Apple Cake...............from The King Pin Kid (no raisins) Applenut Spice Cake ...................from Marlena Fresh Apple Cake........................ from The Goose Hangs High Flour Lady and neighbor G.G.
    Posted by FlourLady[/QUOTE]

Hi FlourLady,
    As I was cleaning out my refrigerator this morning looking for veggies to throw into my beef vegetable soup, I saw a jar of applesauce that I want to use up.  Sometime, if it's not too much trouble, I would love a copy of G.G.'s Spiced Apple Cake (with raisins) from Irish Indian.  That's a nom any of us who contributed years ago remember, and know from experience that any recipe she sent in would be delicious.  Thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappySunTan. Show HappySunTan's posts

Dear Flour Lady;

Thank you so much for your help, I will check with my friend and see if any of those recipes you offered are close to the one she's looking for and will get back to you ASAP.  Really appreciate your efforts on my behalf,  Happy Sun Tan

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Hi ToyTrumpet,

Just getting back to the forum and found your post. Will try to get to G.G.'s tomorrow to copy the recipe you requested. I'll post it here for sure. I think it's great that she gets to participate in CC once again, although she really misses the column in the paper. I know that if it were brought back in the printed edition, she would subscribe to the Globe again. She cancelled when they pulled the column.  "It's just not as much fun as looking forward to the column in the newspaper", she says of the online format.  Of course she doesn't have a computer, so it will be up to me to keep her in 'the loop'.  Maybe I'm wrong, but your response to my post just may have sparked something?

FlourLady

n Response to Re: Apple Cake recipe:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Apple Cake recipe : Hi FlourLady, As I was cleaning out my refrigerator this morning looking for veggies to throw into my beef vegetable soup, I saw a jar of applesauce that I want to use up.  Sometime, if it's not too much trouble, I would love a copy of G.G.'s Spiced Apple Cake (with raisins) from Irish Indian.  That's a nom any of us who contributed years ago remember, and know from experience that any recipe she sent in would be delicious.  Thanks.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Flour Lady

Do you know if your friend ever wrote in and participated when the C.C. was in print?  Ask her, and if she did, what nom she used.  I too, have a recipe box that has quite a few of my favorites that are yellow with age, cut from the original column. We did have an extensive thread of recipes that we shared here online over the past few years, but I think with the changing of formats a lot of them have been lost. Tell her we all agreed with her that the column gave us something to really look forward to in the paper, and all pretty much felt the same about the difference in "posting" and being able to handle the actual "written word".  But, those days will never come again, and we consider ourselves lucky that the Globe has deemed to give us this segment to continue to correspond with each other.

As for my response having possibly "sparked something" - I think perhaps we might have gained not just one new contributor, but two - you being the go-between! 

Look forward to your posts. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Here is an Apple Cake recipe from G.G.'s old time collection from the column.
    She wrote them out in long hand for me to transcribe into this post. (I love seeing people's handwriting.)  I should scan them and let you read her recipes, in G.G.'s own handwriting. My scanner isn't the best, so let me try and see how it works. Chances are I'll have to tweak it once or twice. Here goes....oops, that didn't work.  Here's a photo of it. 
    Enjoy!
    Flour Lady

n Response to Re: Apple Cake recipe:
    [QUOTE]My neighbor with the extensive 50 yr. collection of recipes from C.C. looked through her books for an Apple Cake recipe. If one of these sounds right, I'll head over to her house to copy it for you.  She's an old fashioned gal and everything is written in long hand when copied from her collection.   This is what she found; Spiced Apple Cake (with raisins)....from Irish Indian Apple Pie Cake with raisins   (2 versions) One from........Cakes n' Cookies another from...Handy Man's Honey Topsy Turvy Apple Cake...............from The King Pin Kid (no raisins) Applenut Spice Cake ...................from Marlena Fresh Apple Cake........................ from The Goose Hangs High Flour Lady and neighbor G.G.
    Posted by FlourLady[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Greetings,

G.G.'s collection is filed in a series of photo albums. Each album is designated to a specific topic. There are quite a few, I think maybe 9? or more. She may have mentioned there were 12 or so albums.  In response to you question about whether or not she had a pen name, the answer is no. Hard to believe that she collected thousands of recipes and faithfully read the column, but never sent in a contribution.  You might say that she is now, with her response to the search for an Apple Cake recipe.  As for me, I loved hearing G.G.'s stories and seeing her collection. It is yet another reflection of the textures of life, so often lost in the digital world.  She will get a kick out of the handwritten post.  I am enjoying this as well.

P.S.
    Having a mini family reunion luncheon on Sunday and will be feeding 20 folks.  Any suggestions for yummy, cost effective menu ideas? 

Flour Lady

[QUOTE]Good morning, Flour Lady Do you know if your friend ever wrote in and participated when the C.C. was in print?  Ask her, and if she did, what nom she used.  I too, have a recipe box that has quite a few of my favorites that are yellow with age, cut from the original column. We did have an extensive thread of recipes that we shared here online over the past few years, but I think with the changing of formats a lot of them have been lost. Tell her we all agreed with her that the column gave us something to really look forward to in the paper, and all pretty much felt the same about the difference in "posting" and being able to handle the actual "written word".  But, those days will never come again, and we consider ourselves lucky that the Globe has deemed to give us this segment to continue to correspond with each other. As for my response having possibly "sparked something" - I think perhaps we might have gained not just one new contributor, but two - you being the go-between!  Look forward to your posts. 
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks so much, Flour Lady.  Printed out fine, and sounds delicious.  Seeing as I made the Sour Cream Coffee Cake (posted) this morning, I'll try this one over the week-end.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappySunTan. Show HappySunTan's posts

Dear Flower Lady;

I remember Irish Indian and she did send good recipes.  Thanks so much for the Spiced Apple Cake recipe, I've forwarded it on to my friend and hopefully that is the recipe that she's looking for.  Thanks so much,  Happy Sun Tan

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Dear Flower Lady; I remember Irish Indian and she did send good recipes.  Thanks so much for the Spiced Apple Cake recipe, I've forwarded it on to my friend and hopefully that is the recipe that she's looking for.  Thanks so much,  Happy Sun Tan
    Posted by HappySunTan[/QUOTE]

Good morning, Happy Sun Tan,

Was just going through my recipe box and came across a recipe you had sent in to Chat - Apricot Jam Bars !  I'm sure I must have made it in the past, because apricot is a favorite of mine.  Don't have any apricot jam today, but think I'll make a tray with some raspberry jam - yum.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

YOU'RE  WELCOME!  Happy Eating.

Haven't checked in for a while....
    Will stay tuned for Holiday ideas!

Flour Lady

[QUOTE]Dear Flower Lady; I remember Irish Indian and she did send good recipes.  Thanks so much for the Spiced Apple Cake recipe, I've forwarded it on to my friend and hopefully that is the recipe that she's looking for.  Thanks so much,  Happy Sun Tan
    Posted by HappySunTan[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

North End Treasures

Greetings again,

A friend of mine in Maine just discovered the North End and is aching to return, but doesn't know where to focus.  Any ideas, suggestions and insights for the 'real' North End experience?  She is Italian and has spent time visiting the village of her family's origins, so she is a FOODIE at heart.  Would appreciate your input.  Tourist highlights are not her primary interest, but LOVES people, food and simple things.

Flour Lady