Found Old C.C. Recipes from the Paper

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Found Old C.C. Recipes from the Paper

Cleaning up an old recipe box of my mother's today, came across some old C.C. submitted recipes way back when.  If anyone has any interest in the following, I will be glad to post them:

- No Bake Candy Cookies by Cakes and Cookies
    - Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies by Cakes and Cookies
    - Brambles by - oops, no name
    - Lemon Loaf Cake by Time and Tides
    and one she copied by hand that says, "Medico's Gingerbread Men"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

Re: Found Old C.C. Recipes from the Paper

Brambles!  Pretty please...thanks TT.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Lemon cake please.  Thanks tt.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tried to use Dottie's new recipe forum but for recipes this old with little info, didn't work.

With this Brambles recipe, you're sort of on your own to figure out how much the pie crust is to be spread on cookie sheet - I will post exactly as written:

1 lemon, juice and grated rind
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup raisins, chopped fine
    1 egg
    1 rounded tablespoon flour
    pie crust

Mix first 5 ingredients and bring to a boil, simmer until thickened.
    Line a cookie sheet with pie crust, spread on raisin mixture.
    Moisten edges and add top crust.
    Seal edges and poke with a fork in several spots.
    For a nice glaze, brush top crust with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
    Bake about 20 minutes in 425 oven.
    Cut in squares.

Submitted to C.C. back in probably the 70's.  Unfortunately, the author's name is missing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Again, this recipe leaves out details, such as what size pan to bake this cake in and length of time to bake.

Lemon Loaf Cake

1/2 cup butter
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    1 lemon, juice and rind
    3 eggs, separated
    2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1/2 cup milk

Cream butter and sugar.
    Add lemon juice and grated rind.
    Add the egg yolks which have been well beaten.
    Sift in dry ingredients and add alternately with the milk.
    In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
    Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
    Bake in 350 oven - time not noted, nor pan size.

Orignally submitted by Time and Tides

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Thanks tt. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, could you kindly explain to this completely lost "immigrant" what Brambles are?
    Sounds like something yummy.
    TIA - Pingo.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

The sound like the raisin bar cookies that my grandmother used to buy and we used to eat with tea when I would visit her after school (along with sultana cake.  Grandma liked her raisins.)  I was hoping the recipe would be like the ones we used to buy at a bakery - a crumbly round pastry with raspberry jam in the middle.  i think you could make the old recipe with raspberry jam...
    It would probably taste great.  The bakery ones also had the egg wash and sugar on the top....

Thanks TT.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Ladies

Yes, brambles are a pastry with a fruit filling.  My mother used to roll out her pastry dough, use a water glass to cut out round circles, then put a dollop of the cooked raisin mixture in the middle.  She would place a second circle on top and press the edges together with a fork and poke the top with the fork.  Sometimes she would use raspberry jam as the filling.  I remember her sprinkling sugar on top, not the eggwash, but she probably did that too.  I would think you would only bake until you felt the pastry was done.  I would guess about 20 minutes tops?  After all, the filling needs no cooking.

Just made up the recipe, using a milk wash and sprinkle of sugar.  Had no lemon so decreased sugar to 3/4 cup and added a good size pat of margarine.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ok tt, found it!
    OMG, this sounds so delicious. True pastry!! Why have all that home made baking gone so wayside? I guess - time constraint. So sad!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Nice Brambles...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Icer.  I had two with the cup of tea you can see in the pic.  I'll definitely make these again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

They look yummy!  I wonder how it would work with puff pastry, rolled out a little?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think for true brambles you need a heavier dough.  Of course, using puff pastry you could create a whole new delicacy!  Go for it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

I have some pie crust, but am saving it for Quiche - and the puff pastry needs to be used!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I would think that would make a lucious flakey turnover type thing.  I have 3 pkgs. of frozen puff pastry tart shells that need to be used!  Why I keep picking them up at the Peppridge Farm outlet, I don't know.  Seems like such a good buy, I guess.  Hard to use up something like that when you're a family of one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

tt -

The brambles you made from the CC recipe look similar to cookies I make at Christmastime filled with mince.  Yummy. I would make a mince pie, but last time, my father and I were the only ones who ate any, and of course, I finished it off within a day or two!

mothermitzi

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, mm

You know, thinking back, my mother who loved mince pie, would sometimes put the mince inside these too, altho she most always made a mince pie (just for herself, because none of the rest of us would eat it) at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Guess she ended up eating the whole thing too.  It's almost like her plum pudding (well, steamed pudding, really) that I make now.  Only 2 of my sons want just a taste, but I love it and will make it again this year.  I slice and freeze what's left, and pull it out during the coming months for a treat now and then.  One of the things on my shopping list this week is to find coffee that still comes in a metal can (not that cardboard stuff), since I foolishly threw out the one I had been using. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Posted the No Bake Candy Cookies on the new recipe thread Dottie set up.
    Everything went ok.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

My oven is on its automatic cleanig cycle so my baked goods will come out well when I finally get around to it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Lemon,
    I hope you are watching yours. It is probably all clean by now. Good for you.
    I once had a fire erupting inside mine, while on the cleaning cycle. It scared the - you now what - out of me. I couldn't even open the oven door. Now I NEVER clean mine w/o having someone else present.
    And just so you know, I am a neat freak person. Always wipe up spills and such, and the sides of my oven, every  time I use it. Still this happened.
    So please be careful - Pingo

In Response to Re: Found Old C.C. Recipes from the Paper:
    [QUOTE]My oven is on its automatic cleanig cycle so my baked goods will come out well when I finally get around to it.
    Posted by lemoncoke[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemoncoke. Show lemoncoke's posts

It's a 4 hour cycle, and I have two ovens.  So I did one last night and one today.  They are both clean and just awaiting a vacuuming up of the ash.  Today's set off the smoke detectors twice so I had to keep the front door open fo a long time and did I get cold!  Still, I am getting a lot done while tied to the house.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

In Response to Re: Found Old C.C. Recipes from the Paper:
    [QUOTE]Good morning, mm You know, thinking back, my mother who loved mince pie, would sometimes put the mince inside these too, altho she most always made a mince pie (just for herself, because none of the rest of us would eat it) at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Guess she ended up eating the whole thing too.  It's almost like her plum pudding (well, steamed pudding, really) that I make now.  Only 2 of my sons want just a taste, but I love it and will make it again this year.  I slice and freeze what's left, and pull it out during the coming months for a treat now and then.  One of the things on my shopping list this week is to find coffee that still comes in a metal can (not that cardboard stuff), since I foolishly threw out the one I had been using.

Hi tt -

Yes, mince pie is going by the wayside I guess.  Old Christmas traditions, like your plum pudding, don't appear on many tables these days.  Too bad.  I love the taste!  Funny, I have an old coffee can with ribbed sides I keep for making brown bread and an old Canada Dry ginger ale bottle for inverting my angel food cake pan after it comes out of the oven.  I'd be lost without these two essential items! 

mothermitzi

Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Laughed - my old standby bottle in the back of the cupboard under the sink, for inverting the angel food pan, is an empty Almaden Mountain Chablis - been there longer than I can remember!  I'm sure if I popped the cork even on the empty bottle it would be pretty potent!

Checked out coffee cans in S&S today and all except the S&S brand were that new corregated stuff.  I'm pretty sure the S&S is still all metal.  Tried to peel a little of it off - will get to that tomorrow.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

tt -

I think Chock Full of Nuts is still in a metal can.

Who needs Sur La Table when we have all our own homegrown gadgets?  LOL!

mothermitzi

Sections
Shortcuts