Honeyed Beets

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Honeyed Beets

This is from an old Betty Crocker cookbook that I dug out recently from many years ago. I am putting the measurements that are in the book, but when I make them, I use a little less butter, really just enought to cook the onion, the juice from one half fresh lemon and add the cinnamon to taste. I also don't use the salt and only use the parsley if I have fresh in the house ( in other words it's good both ways, but the parsley makes it pretty)

5 Fresh medium beets ( about 1/14 lb) cooked, peeled and cut into shoestring pieces

1 medium onion chopped ( I use vidalia)

2T butter or margarine

2T Honey ( I use a tad more)

1T Lemon Juice

1/2t salt

1/8 t ground cinnamon

1T Snipped parsley

Cook and stir onion in butter(or margarine) over medium heat until onion is tender. Stir in remaining ingredients ( except parsley) and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until beets are hot and well coated. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Honeyed Beets

Just saw this, mc, sounds elegant.  It will be my next beet preparation, thanks!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Thanks Kar :-)

They are actually on my menu again today. I love them! Hope you enjoy :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

miscricket,
    I think I might join you making them tonight. I am making my mothers mushroom pate (with a few changes, LOL), and was looking for somethig to go with it. Your post popped up and I thought, "There we go!".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dh just picked a boat load of beets!  I think he's getting ready to till the garden...  Looks like we're all going to have these tonight!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, and he picked parsley, too...fabulous, it's clearly meant to be. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Feel sorry for me; I have to deal with what the supermarket offers. Your beets and parsley sounds just wonderful, Kar.
    Just wondering. Do you have a root cellar? We used to have that in my childhood home. Just a small square (3x3x2 feet deep) hole in the basement floor, with a closure. I was always the one sent down to pick up whatever. We would have potatoes and root veggies for most of the winter there. I remember they were packed in sand. I guess everyone had a root cellar at that time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Oh Yay :-) I hope you both like them!

We had a little change of plans here and are going to a local 'watering hole" with friends to watch the Patriot's game..so my beets will wait until tomorrow night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Pingo, just saw this because I have some beets to cook tomorrow and was checking out the recipe.

Americans used to have root cellars, but when refridgeration came in they disappeared.  Of course, in New England they were practical, but in other parts of the country, they would not be.....because root vegetable would not be grown!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, sorry, I missed your question about the root cellar.  We keep the root veggies in the basement.  Does that count?

miscricket, our beets ended up getting served the lazy way - steamed whole, peeled.  Next year will bring renewed garden food vigor and I'll give this a try.  Sounds elegant!

Sections
Shortcuts