How to cook full artichoke....help please!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: How to cook full artichoke....help please!

WakeUp - glad you left NE for where ever you are. Please stay there. We don't need troublemakers here. No butter for the Artichokes, but "please eat one with a decent steak" - ????? You are contradicting yourself.

In Response to Re: How to cook full artichoke....help please!:
    Ok, I now remember why I left New England. Too many obese folks. PEOPLE. You don't dip yoru artichokes in BUTTER!!!! Try something healthy for once. Hummus is by far the best additive to a well cooked Arty. Please eat one with a decent steak. Try this. Cook the arty well....45 min or so, cut the stem and top inch prior to the steaming. Before cooking add garlic salt to the water and all over the arty. Once cooked drizzle toasted sesame oil over said arty (not too much you chubbies) and dip leaves in hummus. Only use butter if you want to avoid the beach for the remainder of your life. Arty's are a healthy food, please don't abuse them with butter. Eric A Miami guy who got tired of being around unhealthy looking New Englanders.
    Posted by WakeUpAmericaB4its2Late

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

And this is for you "NE Chubbies" (sorry, couldn't help it).

I am not a fan of Artichokes, but I recently made these, and they were delicious. I believe I found the recipe in the food section of the Globe some time ago.

Lemon-Braised Artichokes:

- In a medium Dutch oven (I used a large enameled baking pan), combine 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 medium onion - thinly sliced, 1/4 cup water, 8 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried), 4 cloves garlic - smashed, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

- Trim the top and the bottom of the stem of each artichoke. Using scissors, snip off the tip of each leaf. Cut the artichokes (the recipe calls for 2, but I used 4 using the same amount as described above) into quarters and scoop out the fuzzy chokes.

- Toss the artichokes in the oil mixture. Cover and transfer to a 350 degree oven and bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Divide among individual plates and spoon the cooking liquid over the top.

Eat them as you would a full Artichoke, dipping the leaves in the cooking liquid then eating the heart and stem.

Bon Appetite!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmm, Pingo, sounds delish!

About the stem, though.  Sometimes it's fabulous, sometimes awful.  Not sure why.  So, may I suggest tasting the stem as your first bite?  I've had many a perfectly wonderful experience ruined by popping a big bite of stem as my last bite.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you Kar for your suggestion. So far I have never run into a bad tasting stem. Like you I usually save it to last. Maybe I should cut of the stems and cook them separately. What do you think? If they are good, they are great. - Pingo

Mmm, Pingo, sounds delish! About the stem, though.  Sometimes it's fabulous, sometimes awful.  Not sure why.  So, may I suggest tasting the stem as your first bite?  I've had many a perfectly wonderful experience ruined by popping a big bite of stem as my last bite.
    Posted by kargiver

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe you just like the taste of the stems better than I do, Pingo - I'd just do what you've been doing right along if you've never hit one you find to be terrible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christinymarini. Show Christinymarini's posts

Peonie- not sure if you are still looking for ideas, but I just discovered grilled artichokes and am now obsessed! 

I boil them for 6-10 minutes in water with a little lemon.  Then I take them out of the water, cut them in half and clean the artichoke out.  I mix a little olive oil, black pepper and garlic powder and brush that onto the artichoke (make sure you get some between the leaves).  Then I throw it out on the gas grill for 15-20 minutes flipping it frequently. 

Definitely worth trying if you like artichokes!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds awesome!  Wondering how you keep it from sticking, though, if you turn it frequently.  I try to leave things alone so they carmelize and don't stick when I try to turn them over.  Is there another trick to it?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christinymarini. Show Christinymarini's posts

I haven't had a problem with them sticking I think because of the little bit of olive oil that we brush onto the artichoke.  I'm with you and tend to leave things alone, but my fiance is always flipping them (he does most of the grilling).  I think you could do either. 

I've also found that when they come off the grill they are perfect to eat as is, no butter required. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's funny!  Well, as long as they don't stick it doesn't matter. :)  Fiance?  Congrats!  When's the big day?  Join us in Weddings?  I'm a lifer, I guess, having gotten married in 2008.  There's a "Show your Dress" thread there right now...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Now, that the artichoke thread woke up again, I want to tell you - that this time I made them, I cut off the stems. (But I collected them and baked them in a small dish next to the chokes - LOL).
    I will have to say, you are right, the  artichokes are sweeter w/o the stem. But those stems were calling me and we did eat them. They were good in their own way. But definitely had a different taste.
    I did 4 chokes cut in quarters for the two of us - lots leftover for Mr. P's lunch. I am truly amazed, he likes them so much.
    Now I am thinking, the quartered chokes could be an easy and delicious appetizer for a bunch of people. Just make sure to put out a lot of napkins.
    - Pingo

That's funny!  Well, as long as they don't stick it doesn't matter. :)  Fiance?  Congrats!  When's the big day?  Join us in Weddings?  I'm a lifer, I guess, having gotten married in 2008.  There's a "Show your Dress" thread there right now...
    Posted by kargiver

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting, Pingo - thanks for the update!  Maybe I'd like the stems separate like you did them.  My DH isn't keen on artichokes so I hardly ever make them anymore, but next time I'll bake the stems and see what I think.  Thanks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    I think - most people do not like the trouble of eating them. It is not that they don't like the chokes. I have a patient, and slow eating DH, who happens to like them.
    - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe that's true.  I like the slow ritual.  DH is more of a wolfer.  But, less so since I've been his nutrition coach.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, Mr. Kar is so lucky to have you. How is the cleansing going? I picked up a 10 days cleansing program (pills only) at Costco yesterday. Will do that before I start my juice fast, so everything is "clean" to absorb the good nutrients. The Kripalu juice fast involve daily enemas, which I like to avoid, even though I have done them in the past. They are not bad at all, but cumbersome.

Maybe that's true.  I like the slow ritual.  DH is more of a wolfer.  But, less so since I've been his nutrition coach.
    Posted by kargiver

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry, Pingo, to have missed this when you posted.

The cleanse is going very well for both of us, thanks!   DH exclaimed with glee (well, in a manly sort of way) that he needs smaller pants.  I've also already gotten down to my target weight, and we just started Week 2 of 3.  We both feel more energetic and "lighter" (not just in actual weight).  My skin is benefitting...everything, really, as usual.  This is my 5th year, I think, doing this, and each year it's better.  I believe it has a cumulative effect.  The first one was terrible; years of never having done it before caused me to have headaches, rashes, weakness...it was awful.  Now that I've done it every year for 5 years, my body isn't as in need of it so it's MUCH easier.  And, our habits have been moving in this direction for 3 years (together), anyway, so we aren't have the cravings we have had before, either.  Even my sweet tooth hubby isn't craving dessert or sugary snacks, totally satisified with the veggies and fruit.

And, I think I'm the lucky one. :)  He's a dear, growing all these fabulous veggies and berries for us.  He's been planning our bounty and preparing for years - long before he even met me.  I just stepped in and started enjoying the payoff for all  his hard work.

What kind of program did you start?  And, how is it going?

Again, sorry I missed your post.  Hope you are still looking here!

Blessings,

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from portiaperu. Show portiaperu's posts

Wow!  My appreciation to all that posted their advice for preparing artichokes.  I've prepared mine by trimming stem and tough outer leaves, then a bit off the top, and steaming in a basket for approx 45 min.  Dip in butter or butter/lemon mix.

But, there are terrific ideas here that are making me very hungry!

Off to save this column (minus the grumpy assault on our waist lines - BTW, size 4 here at 50+ years) to my recipe files.

Thank you everyone!

Sections
Shortcuts