Kar's stuffed fried chicken bundles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Kar's stuffed fried chicken bundles

This recipe has a Mexican flair, but you can sub any herbs and/or spices that fit in the bundles and serve it with any dipping sauce that goes with your modifications.

Italian variation: replace the Mexican shredded cheese with Parmesan and the cilantro with fresh basil. Dip in spaghetti sauce.  
    Indian variation, replace the cilantro with a generous sprinkle of curry powder and replace the shredded cheese with another tablespoon of cream cheese.  Dip in peanut sauce.

Spring variation:  minced asperagus, butter, cream cheese, lemon zest, and juice of 1/4 lemon.  Dip in sour cream with lemon juice, lemon zest, and pepper.

Mexican Chicken Bundles
    4 whole breasts
    1/4 c light cream cheese
    4 pats butter
    1/4 c mexican flavored shredded cheese
    4 Tbl chopped cilantro (or parsley if preferred)
    Chipotle picante sauce (Mexican section, slim bottle with wooden screw top)
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c panko crumbs, plain
    1 small can French fried onions, pulverized
    Kosher salt (very little - the onions and shredded cheese are already salty)
    pepper to taste
    Enough canola oil to fill frying vessel such that it comes 1/2 way up the chicken "packages"
    cooking twine
    electric fry pan (or deep saute pan and oil thermometer)

For dipping sauce:  Equal parts (or balance of your taste) mayo and chipotle picante sauce

Pound breasts as thin as possible while keeping in tact (1/3 inch?)
    Place 1 Tbl cream cheese, 1 pat of butter, 1 Tbl of cilantro, a few shakes of picante, and 1 Tbl of shredded cheese in center, and wrap up.  Tie the bundle so none of the filling can escape.

Keep the finished bundles in the fridge as you work.  Let chicken rest in fridge for 15 minutes (or until oil reaches temperature).

Heat oil to 400 (I used an electric fry pan).  Beat eggs, set aside.  Mix panko and onion in dredging pan.  When oil is ready, dip and dredge chicken and place in oil. Lightly salt and pepper the tops.  Reduce temp to 375.  Cook 5 minutes on each broad side, 1 minute each on two opposite edges, 12 minutes total cook time.  Remove chicken to wire rack, cover with foil and kitchen towel to rest 5 minutes.  Carefully try to remove as much of the string as you can and warn your guests to beware of stray string. :)

Of course, you can sub whatever you want for the Mexican ingredients.  The filling ends up super ooey-gooey, the chicken is SUPER moist, and the outside crunchy and golden brown.

Takes about 1 1/2 hours - too long for a weeknight, but if you enjoy spending extra time in the kitchen when you can, it's a great weekend dish.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Kar's stuffed fried chicken bundles

Here are photos of the Spring version.  I had to improvise because I was out of panko.  Turns out, it's pretty important - the French friend onions don't stick very well without it.  So, after doing the best I could with those, I rolled them in pancake mix.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Looks great, Kar. I use crushed Stoufer's Stuffing for a lot of my breading. I find I don't use the Panko enough. They get stale so quickly. Just whirl the stuffing in your processor, and you have wonderful custom sized bread crumbs. No need to season it. - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Stuffing would be good, too!  Actually, any breading or batter would work.  You could even make them Wellington style in the oven if you wrapped them in frozen puff pastry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

stuffing w/Philly Cooking Creme might be good

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

this recipe DOES NOT WORK with large chicken breasts; it overcooks the outside to get the inside up to the right temp.  Be sure to use smaller ones and pound as thin as you can.  ...as my mom would say, guess how I found out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yobettyob. Show Yobettyob's posts

Kar, would this recipe work with wild turkey breasts? I'm just thinking we could kill two (or more) birds with this stone...help pingo with her turkey dilemma and have a little feast. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

These look delicious! I'll bet you could put some cold leftover mashed potatoes and gravy int he middle, too! I'm definitely going to try this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ooooh, another great variation, Pink!  Topping them with gravy would be excellent, too, with the crunch of the crispy outside...yum.  Thanks for adding, and I can't wait for the review. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pink, I've been thinking.  Might be good, too, if you stuff it with cream cheese, butter, and Bell's Poultry Seasoning (thyme, rosemary, other finely powdered herbs) and leave the potatoes and fixings as sides - you can't stuff more than a couple of tablespoons in the bundles or it doesn't seal.  How does that sound?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

How about stuffing them with stuffing and cranberry sauce? Actually one can use the turkey cutlets for that too. They already comes sliced and ready to go. Think I will try the turkey tonight with store bought box stuffing, but definitely my own homemade cranberry sauce.
    And I will try to use some metal skewers instead of the string. I may be sorry, but I can't see, why it should not work.  - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I meant to answer that.  It doesn't work as well unless you can get the skewers to not interfere with the bundles sitting flat on the bottom of the pan.  Toothpicks made them stick out of the oil unevenly and difficult to turn over.  The string, while a pain to remove, allowed for even cooking and easy turning.

And, of course, you can stuff them with whatever you want, but if you can only get 2 Tbl in there you might want to leave the sides as sides and stuff the chicken/turkey with herbs, butter, and cream cheese.  You'd only get one or two mouthfuls of the center portion of potato, cranberry, stuffing, etc., to go with the whole bundle (one dinner serving)...not much flavor and texture to go around that way imo.

GL!!  Let me know how you like them and your variations, whoever goes for it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

both those variations sound good! I'm thinking this is something that will work great for leftovers. We always have leftover veggies and potatoes from different meals!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Keep in mind you can only put 2 tablespoons of stuff per bundle so a 1/4 cup of whatever you're planning to use will take care of all 4 bundles.

Please let me know if you make them and add your notes for us to learn from!  I might make them tonight, actually.

Sections
Shortcuts