Need menu suggestions for family luncheon. Cost effective for 20 people...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: Need menu suggestions for family luncheon. Cost effective for 20 people...

Hi FlourLady -

Thanks very much for posting Irish Indian's recipe for apple cake.  As tt said in a previous post, her recipes are enjoyed here.  I make her Irish bread every year without fail on St. Patrick's Day, as my mother did before me. 

When I have a crowd, I'm always looking for dishes I can make ahead of time and heat up.  I usually serve a ham and Swedish meatballs in bouillon. For variety, I sometimes add or substitute lasagna and baked beans. All of these dishes can be made ahead of time.  I hope you will have some help with your luncheon.  I don't mind making the main courses but always appreciate help with salads and desserts.

mothermitzi

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A crockpot of chili is always a good addition, and tastes better when it has been reheated.  Economical, and easily prepared the day before, as is a jambalaya substituting turkey kielbasa for shrimp.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Garlic mashed potatoes is a big family favorite of ours and, like chili, is much better the next day and is easily heated and reheated in the microwave.  It also compliments about anything else.

roast 1 head garlic at 375 for 1 hour with plenty of olive oil
    peel and chop (~1 sq inch) 15 Idaho Russets (please), boil until very tender but not falling apart (~20 minutes)
    In electric mixer, combine potatoes, whole head of garlic, 1/4 c cream, 1/2 - 1 stick salted butter, 1 Tbl salt.  Mix thoroughly, taste for saltiness, add as necessary.

Spoon into microwave safe serving dish.  Reheat at 3 minute intervals, stirring/fluffing between.

Not the healthiest way to eat a spud, but darned tasty and easy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sounds really good Kar. But what do you mean by "peel and chop (~1 sq inch)"?
    I would usually use Yukon Gold potatoes for any potato dish I do. I think they have a lot more taste. I will make a trial run with the Russets before TG. Always looking for make ahead dishes. But reheated mashed potatoes have not always come out great for me. Some people I know, pour a thin layer of milk on the potatoes before reheating them in the micro.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Need menu suggestions for family luncheon. Cost effective for 20 people...:
    [QUOTE]Sounds really good Kar. But what do you mean by "peel and chop (~1 sq inch)"? I would usually use Yukon Gold potatoes for any potato dish I do. I think they have a lot more taste. I will make a trial run with the Russets before TG. Always looking for make ahead dishes. But reheated mashed potatoes have not always come out great for me. Some people I know, pour a thin layer of milk on the potatoes before reheating them in the micro.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hey, pingo,

I meant to chop the pieces to about 1 inch square...maybe a little bigger.  I find it ensures thorough cooking and, thereby, reduces, lumps.  Mashed potatoes are lumpy when the centers of the potato pieces aren't fully cooked.

I use the Idaho Russets for their dry fluffiness.  Potatoes very widely in their starch content, and that's the main difference as far as texture goes and viablity for whatever dish you're cooking.  I'd use red bliss for potato salad, by the way, for their low starch content and waxy texture.  Yukon Golds DO have more flavor, but they are wetter/gummier as mashed than the IRs; the fluffier the better, IMO, for mashed.  I believe this is the source of your reheat woes.  Maine Russets are the worst - totally WET.  You can't add cream to those or you'll have unappetizing goo...actually, you'll have unappetizing goo before you add cream.  It's a waste of good garlic to use those.

P.S.  They can get stiff upon reheating (hence your friends adding milk).  But, with this recipe you have so much fat in there that when you reheat, the fat melts and softens the potatoes.  No need to add more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I usually make my Boston Baked beans for a large crowd. I start the morning before with the rinsed dry beans in my crock pot covered by several inches of water. Turn on the heat on high for an hour, then on low for 6 - 8 hours (while I go to work). The beans will be nice and soft.
    Drain the beans but reserve 1 cup of the liquid. Mix 1 cup of the liquid with 1 tsp. of salt, 2/3 cup Molasses, 2 tsp. dry mustard, 1/4 brown sugar, 1 medium onion chopped and 1/4 lbs. salt pork cut up (use your pair of scissors to cut the skin). If you are serving this for veggie people use 2 - 3 Tbs. olive oil instead. Does not give the same flavor, but it will be good enough.
    Then place it on low and cook overnight or for 10 - 12 hours. Keep warm in the crock pot and use it as a serving dish.
    It has always been a winner at our house.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmm, those sound like delicious, traditional Maine baked beans like my great grandmother used to make (in the oven in a bean pot instead of a crock pot, of course).  I remember her adding those very ingredients.

P.S.  If I were making the veggie version, I'd add salt to taste.  The salt pork adds a lot of flavor from the salt itself, not just the smokey bacony part.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Kar! Idaho Russets it will be. Interesting, but you are right. There are all kind of water contents in potatoes. I will still make a trial run though. Imagine 20 hungry people and a mess of gummy potatoes?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Need menu suggestions for family luncheon. Cost effective for 20 people...:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Kar! Idaho Russets it will be. Interesting, but you are right. There are all kind of water contents in potatoes. I will still make a trial run though. Imagine 20 hungry people and a mess of gummy potatoes?
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Ewwwww!  DISASTER!! ;)

I'm sure you'll be thrilled with the IRs - please give an update, will you?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes Kar, of course. As always add salt to taste. But these beans in the crock pot is really easy and takes very little preparing time. They almost take care of themselves, so you can do other dishes in the meantime.
    Someone mentioned lasagna. It is also a staple in our house for a large crowd. But instead of layering it, I smear the stuffing (usual mix of ricotta, herbs, eggs etc.) on the lasagna noodle, roll it up, then cut it in half and place the rolls in a large pan - wavy side up. When the pan is full of rolls, I pour over some tomato sauce, then some shredded cheese and bake as I normally would bake my lasagna. It is so much easier to serve for a crowd. No cutting. Your guests can just scoop up a roll or two.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love that roll idea, pingo.  Cutting up the lasagna is a messy proposition unless the hostess cuts and serves, and who has time to babysit the lasagna pan??

(I just meant that you'll have to add considerably more salt to the veggie version to make up for the (regrettable!) loss of the salt pork.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Even with the hostess serving, it can be a mess.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Hello Everyone!

Amazing wave of suggestions, thank you to one and all.  Your inspirations evolved into other menu ideas for the two weeks I had a FULL house  with all of our three boys home from 'too far away',  with their families.  So the single gathering extended into many visits from their friends, and the beans, lasagne, and potatoes became part of those menus. 

The weather turned warm and we decided not to be stuck in the hous for the big reunion, so it turned into a cook-out buffet, with crock pot beans....burgers made with local beef, local corn, salads with garden veggies and pasta, and campfire potatoes with onions.  They were in heaven, remembering the ole' family camping trips, especially with the campfire fragrance in the background. 

I will continue to use your ideas...loving the prep ahead approach to fill the freezer for when I just don't feel like cooking, which is often. 

You are a great group of folks. Feels like an old fashioned community? ...

Will print out all of your responses and share them with G.G. across the street, as well. (remember, no computer or tekkie stuff for her). 
    She just finished making another doll. This one's name is Maria, and she is a Flamenco Dancer.  Maybe I'll get a photo.  The doll she made prior to this was her Barak Obama doll to go along with her Michele Obama doll.  NO, she's not politically inclined. She listens to her creative voice and just goes with it.  She made the Michele Obama doll in an Inaugural gown, long before Barak even won the nomination for the Dems.  You might say she's just an old fashioned gal with lots of 'intuition'?

Thank you again, one and all!!
    Now for a nap.....Phew, that was a whirlwind tour...two weeks, full house, and LOTS of playing with our 4 yr. old grand-daughter.

Flour Lady

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

I did notice many recipes from Irish Indian in G.G.'s collection. I'll have a look and see what else jumps out. Maybe I can photograph the original newspaper clipping and post it? Not sure if it will work, but could give it a whirl.  Thanks again for your ideas.

Flour Lady

[QUOTE]Hi FlourLady - Thanks very much for posting Irish Indian's recipe for apple cake.  As tt said in a previous post, her recipes are enjoyed here.  I make her Irish bread every year without fail on St. Patrick's Day, as my mother did before me.  When I have a crowd, I'm always looking for dishes I can make ahead of time and heat up.  I usually serve a ham and Swedish meatballs in bouillon. For variety, I sometimes add or substitute lasagna and baked beans. All of these dishes can be made ahead of time.  I hope you will have some help with your luncheon.  I don't mind making the main courses but always appreciate help with salads and desserts. mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

YUM, Jumbalaya would be great too. Especially with Maine shrimp, they taste like candy.  Turkey would work too...

Thank you,
    Flour Lady

[QUOTE]A crockpot of chili is always a good addition, and tastes better when it has been reheated.  Economical, and easily prepared the day before, as is a jambalaya substituting turkey kielbasa for shrimp.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

I used to make these when the kids were younger, and yes it's delicious. Will remember to do these again, as it has been years. I could use lowfat cottage cheese, add some seasoned bread crumbs and an egg to solidify things a bit, and enjoy a taste of Italy for sure with a splurge using Anjon's Marinara Sauce, from the Scarborough, Maine Italian restaurant of the same name, Anjon's. 

Can't afford to have dinner there, but they sell their sauce in the local grocery stores, and it's as close as I can get.  Sometimes I will have my husband stop there to pick up a large Antipasti salad , for that real authentic gourmet treat...always fresh and delicious...which is more affordable than buying the ingredients myself.  I can pull off an Anjon's dinner at home for 20.00 or more (if you want their stuffed bread), as opposed to well over a hundred dollars at the restaurant. 

Thank You,
    Flour Lady

[QUOTE]Love that roll idea, pingo.  Cutting up the lasagna is a messy proposition unless the hostess cuts and serves, and who has time to babysit the lasagna pan?? (I just meant that you'll have to add considerably more salt to the veggie version to make up for the (regrettable!) loss of the salt pork.)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Gotta LOVE baked beans....no matter how you cook 'em!
    We've done them all sorts of ways, including the 'bean hole' in the ground.
     Thank you for your crock pot recipe. It will come in handy.

My 97 year old Uncle Brod gave me his recipe before he left this world, and I can't find it...UGH!...The ingredients were as you listed, but His secret was to use a touch of baking soda, but I don't remember how much. 1 tsp?  anybody know?  He said it helped to reduce the 'gas' affect.  His beans were Deeeelicious. He cooked them in my grandmother's electric roasting pan, the kind that was on a big stand. She used to cook her Thanksgiving Turkey in it as well, among other things....but I won't get started on that. 

Thank you,
    Flour Lady

[QUOTE]I usually make my Boston Baked beans for a large crowd. I start the morning before with the rinsed dry beans in my crock pot covered by several inches of water. Turn on the heat on high for an hour, then on low for 6 - 8 hours (while I go to work). The beans will be nice and soft. Drain the beans but reserve 1 cup of the liquid. Mix 1 cup of the liquid with 1 tsp. of salt, 2/3 cup Molasses, 2 tsp. dry mustard, 1/4 brown sugar, 1 medium onion chopped and 1/4 lbs. salt pork cut up (use your pair of scissors to cut the skin). If you are serving this for veggie people use 2 - 3 Tbs. olive oil instead. Does not give the same flavor, but it will be good enough. Then place it on low and cook overnight or for 10 - 12 hours. Keep warm in the crock pot and use it as a serving dish. It has always been a winner at our house.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

G.G.'s Doll

Kiss
    Here is G.G.'s latest doll that she made. 'Maria' the Flamenco dancer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello Flour Lady,
    They used to put baking soda with the beans to break them down and cook faster. I don't know how much though. I guess that was before the crock pots. You don't need the baking soda or soaking, if you use my crock pot method. And never, never add salt, while you cook the beans - that will make them hard. The salted pork should do it. But if I need to add more for flavor, I add at the very end or when I reheat them.
    Also the twice long cooking gives no 'gas' effect. Honestly! My SIL cook her beans in the pressure cooker --- and oh, boy, I feel like I am going to lift off all night.

[QUOTE]Gotta LOVE baked beans....no matter how you cook 'em! We've done them all sorts of ways, including the 'bean hole' in the ground.  Thank you for your crock pot recipe. It will come in handy. My 97 year old Uncle Brod gave me his recipe before he left this world, and I can't find it...UGH!...The ingredients were as you listed, but His secret was to use a touch of baking soda, but I don't remember how much. 1 tsp?  anybody know?  He said it helped to reduce the 'gas' affect.  His beans were Deeeelicious. He cooked them in my grandmother's electric roasting pan, the kind that was on a big stand. She used to cook her Thanksgiving Turkey in it as well, among other things....but I won't get started on that.  Thank you, Flour Lady In Response to Re: Need menu suggestions for family luncheon. Cost effective for 20 people... :
    Posted by FlourLady[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Flour Lady

What an interesting friend you have in your neighbor.  So creative.  Love the doll.  Does she make them for her and her family's own enjoyment or does she have a consignment some place?  Either way, very inventive.

Glad you found all of our suggestions helpful.  Try the jambalaya sometime, I make it with chunks of chicken and turkey kielbasa to fit the tastes of my family members, one of whom is allergic to shellfish.  Fun to have the family all together, a lot of work, but so nice.  I enjoy cooking and am always glad to have an excuse to try out a new recipe.  Relatives make willing guinea pigs!

Nice to read your posts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

FlourLady, so glad your reunion menu came together and you all had such a great time!  We love to help each other; welcome to our community.  We hope you'll stay; you make an excellent addition. :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Thanks for the tip.  Valuable information for sure and good background info for your crock pot recipe.

Flour LadyI

n Response to Re: Need menu suggestions for family luncheon. Cost effective for 20 people...:
    [QUOTE]Hello Flour Lady, They used to put baking soda with the beans to break them down and cook faster. I don't know how much though. I guess that was before the crock pots. You don't need the baking soda or soaking, if you use my crock pot method. And never, never add salt, while you cook the beans - that will make them hard. The salted pork should do it. But if I need to add more for flavor, I add at the very end or when I reheat them. Also the twice long cooking gives no 'gas' effect. Honestly! My SIL cook her beans in the pressure cooker --- and oh, boy, I feel like I am going to lift off all night. In Response to Re: Need menu suggestions for family luncheon. Cost effective for 20 people... :
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Thank you for the welcoming reception. I really owe my contributions to my neighbor G.G., so it's a 'package deal'. I print out the postings and bring them over to her. Nothing like a good ole' fashioned community.

FL

n Response to Re: Need menu suggestions for family luncheon. Cost effective for 20 people...:
    [QUOTE]FlourLady, so glad your reunion menu came together and you all had such a great time!  We love to help each other; welcome to our community.  We hope you'll stay; you make an excellent addition. :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

Hello,

My neighbor has been making dolls for 20-30 years? She has traditionally made them for her own enjoyment, and after a couple of weeks of displaying them on her bookshelf or sideboard, they go into a box and get filed with the rest of her collection. 

Being an old fashioned gal without fanfare, nobody ever really saw them, or had any idea of what she was doing with her spare time in her sewing room. Door stops, and other common types were readily seen as perhaps all she was doing.  'Au Contraire'!!, say I.  It took a long time, but she eventually showed me her collection, which was incredible. 

There are dolls of all sizes, shapes and themes.  For example: She created  portrayals of the Little Women, each complete with an entire wardrobe. This includes lined coats, night gowns and proper undergarments. All of the clothing have the doll's name on labels sewed in.  She has made the Ice Queen, Methusela, and so many characters from her hundreds of novels that line the shelves of her living room.

Prior to the Obama couple, she was inspired by lyrics from songs that are printed on the song rolls from her player piano.  She created a 'Barney Google' with the Goo Goo Googley eyes and one amazing story from the song, 'Among my Souvenirs'. 

Needless to say, I poked and prodded and had her eventually share this collection with the world by inviting her to at least publicly show them. She had been entering a doll every year to the Fryburg Fair in Maine, and always walked away with a ribbon, which was usually blue. But she didn't make a big deal about it and no one really knew the scope of her work.

She has since joined a local group of artisans, and continues to display her dolls, but in a very untraditional setting.  She prefers to strategically place them in her gardens for her annual summer tea party.  There is nothing commonplace about G.G.  She has also begun to sell off her collection, simply because her closets are now full and she needs the space for more dolls.   

I will try to remember to share new recipes.  We were living in the southwest for a couple of years and got very spoiled with regards to authentic sowest cooking. 

Thanks again to all for sharing your insights. 

Flour Lady 

[QUOTE]Hi Flour Lady What an interesting friend you have in your neighbor.  So creative.  Love the doll.  Does she make them for her and her family's own enjoyment or does she have a consignment some place?  Either way, very inventive. Glad you found all of our suggestions helpful.  Try the jambalaya sometime, I make it with chunks of chicken and turkey kielbasa to fit the tastes of my family members, one of whom is allergic to shellfish.  Fun to have the family all together, a lot of work, but so nice.  I enjoy cooking and am always glad to have an excuse to try out a new recipe.  Relatives make willing guinea pigs! Nice to read your posts.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Flour Lady

As I read your post about all the dolls G.G. has made, I was picturing the excitement a granddaughter or great granddaughter would experience coming across that trove of dolls.  When we moved to this house, our other home was sold to a family with young children.  I left doll furniture and a trunk of my old dolls complete with handmade clothes in the attic for their young daughters to find.  Unfortunately, I learned from neighbors that they didn't have the house long, and had trashed everything, including putting holes in the walls.  Sometimes the best of intentions are misplaced.