Need testers for new recipe feature

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Need testers for new recipe feature

Recipe Mavens! I have a request: Will you serve as my testers of a new recipe feature I want to set up?

We've thrown it up on a test page, along with some navigation links in the right column. We think this will be an easier way for everyone to post and find recipes rather than clicking through pages of discussion threads.

Since we haven't formally launched it, we haven't integrated it with our registration system yet -- but we will. In the meantime, to add a recipe, you will have to register first. You can choose your Boston.com screen name as your screen name for this so I know who you are. After this test period, I will delete all of your accounts.

I was hoping that each of you would do two things for me:

1) Use the Advanced Search page to look for recipes by various combinations of the categories that are there: Course, Cuisine, Occasion, etc. When you get a list of recipes, let me know what you think of the presentation of the list of recipes.

Then click through on the recipes and tell me what you think of that  presentation. Most of these are recipes from the Globe, and we didn't have access to all of the information we needed, but we did our best.

Ignore the occasional odd characters; that can happen from cutting and pasting, but is easily fixed. We just didn't bother for this test.

2) Submit a recipe yourself. There's a link that says "Submit Recipe" on the right side of the dark blue bar at the top. You'll get a screen asking you to sign in; click on the "register here" link.

Your username has to be at least 8 characters; it's used only for signing in and doesn't show up anywhere.

Your screen name is what shows up attached to your recipe; under the recipe name it will say, for example, "Submitted by kargiver".

First and last name is also required. Again, nobody will see those names except me behind the scenes in the Admin tool. If you don't want to use your real name, then just fill in your screen name for both first and last names (e.g. pingo / pingo or Mrs. / Pingo).

After you have registered, then sign in and add a recipe. I'd like to know if you think our choices within each category are complete enough. For example, have we included the correct courses, cuisines, occasions, etc. (without going too crazy)?

Please also upload a photo of your dish if you have one.

You'll also see that you each will have your own recipe box ... recipes that you have submitted. It doesn't appear that you can save others' recipes in a Favorites section somewhere, but I'll talk to the vendor about that.

Finally: Overall, do you find the tool easy to use, whether searching for a recipe or adding one? Just add your comments on this thread.

Thanks ahead of time for your help. Your feedback will be really valuable as we roll out this new feature.

Here's the link to the Advanced Search, where you can start:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/recipes/testadvanced/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Need testers for new recipe feature

Just tried to enter a couple of old C.C. recipes on your new forum, but for these anyway, it didn't work.  I have no idea how many servings since I've never made it.  Tried to put 6-8 as a guess but it wouldn't allow that.  And I certainly don't have any of the nutritional value info on this old a recipe that it asked for.  Sorry.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

In Response to Re: Need testers for new recipe feature:
    Just tried to enter a couple of old C.C. recipes on your new forum, but for these anyway, it didn't work.  I have no idea how many servings since I've never made it.  Tried to put 6-8 as a guess but it wouldn't allow that.  And I certainly don't have any of the nutritional value info on this old a recipe that it asked for.  Sorry.
    Posted by toytrumpet

Oh, thanks, tt ... just use 6 for the number of servings, and don't bother with the nutritional information -- it's not required.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Dottie, just posted a cookie recipe on the new thread you have set up.  Everything went ok.  I would suggest a "cookie" section tho, not knowing whether to put it under dessert or snack, I chose snack.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Got it, toytrumpet -- thank you so much. And yes, a Cookies category is a good suggestion. Here's your recipe live:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/recipes/testdetails/?rid=250&sorig=qs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Dottie.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Dottie,
    I would love to post some recipes, but IMO you chose the wrong time of the year to propose this. Most of us are terribly busy with our Christmas preparations. Baking, shopping for gifts etc. Not really the time to sit down and post a recipe. I know, we have posted some, but they just kind of happened.
    Wait until after Christmas, and you will have a much better response. I believe this feature will be well accepted by most of the Globe's customers.
    I would just LOVE it. I follow one with the same structure from my home country. If you want, I can forward it to you just to see, how it is working.
    Happy Holidays my friend - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with Pingo but at the same time am looking forward to the feature and want to help.  More will do so after the holidays, as Pingo said.  However, I'll make a concerted effort this week to explore it more and make suggestions.  My DH was home on vaca this past week, and I've been...distracted. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Huh? this post is 400+ days old? new "feature"???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Get lost RT!
    No - I really didn't mean that. This was suggested by BDC last year - but it never took off. You just got in to it much too late. Could have been a nice thread. - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: Need testers for new recipe feature:
    Get lost RT! No - I really didn't mean that. This was suggested by BDC last year - but it never took off. You just got in to it much too late. Could have been a nice thread. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo

They need to FIX the BDC FIRST then build on it! It was suggested in 2010 - NOT - 2011.....

Sections
Shortcuts