North End Treasures

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlourLady. Show FlourLady's posts

North End Treasures

Greetings again,

A friend of mine in Maine just discovered the North End and is aching to return, but doesn't know where to focus.  Any ideas, suggestions and insights for the 'real' North End experience?  She is Italian and has spent time visiting the village of her family's origins, so she is a FOODIE at heart.  Would appreciate your input.  Tourist highlights are not her primary interest, but LOVES people, food and simple things.

Flour Lady

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: North End Treasures

Hello FlourLady,
    We are not much of North End visitors. Don't like the traffic around there and the lack of parking. However our son and his wife took us for dinner there to "experience the North End atmosphere".
    We went to "Giacomos" on Hanover Street. It was just like visiting Rome and the best ever Italian meal, we ever had. After dinner, we went to Mike's across the street for Cappuccino and pastries. *Fantastic evening!* (Edited for certain posters, that always want to make trouble).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/giacomos-boston-2

We have since taken clients there several times and always had a wonderful evening. The only thing is, it is a tiny place - and at times you will have to wait hours outside (in the cold, yes) to be seated. The lines can be long. They do not take reservations, nor do they have to. But the wait is truly worth it.
    Hope you and your friend will have a great time visiting the North End. - P

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

One of my favorite restaurants in the North End is Al Dente. Small, intimate and the food is delicious. I have to say that I think Mikes is a tourist trap and I prefer Modern Pastry to them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

I live in the north end and have to say that giacomo's is good, but not great at all.  Its solid, and i get a lot of take out from there, but it is simple italian.  There are plenty of great places like: carmen's, mare, moninca's vinoteca, mama maria's, maybe tresca too but its overpriced.  giacomo's is cheaper though, but its not the best the north nd has to offer.

mike's is a tourist trap, modern fills the canoli's when they're ordered.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Fancy, you are right. Giacomo is simple Italian food. That is why I recommended it, as FlourLady said her friend ----"LOVES people, food and simple things".
    I also agree, that Mike's is for tourists. I never recommended Mike's. I just said we went there after dinner.
    I know Modern fill their canolis, as you order them. But there are people - like my husband - that do not like canolis. I don't care much for them either - I would much rather have something else.

In Response to Re: North End Treasures:
    I live in the north end and have to say that giacomo's is good, but not great at all.  Its solid, and i get a lot of take out from there, but it is simple italian.  There are plenty of great places like: carmen's, mare, moninca's vinoteca, mama maria's, maybe tresca too but its overpriced.  giacomo's is cheaper though, but its not the best the north nd has to offer. mike's is a tourist trap, modern fills the canoli's when they're ordered.
    Posted by fancy-shamanski

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

I think Mike's is good, just too busy. Pingo, if you and your husband do not like cannolis they have delicious cheesecake and cookies!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Elmgirl, I understand. I am not saying I will never shop at Modern. I am sure their stuff is as good or even better than Mike's. However, we do not go to the North End very often - as I said in my original post. When I am stuffed with a delicious Italian meal, I really don't care at all for deserts. So whether I get Modern's or Mike's - it really does not matter one tiny bit to me. I will just have a bite of something anyway. Guess I am not much of a desert girl.
    And just for the record - I never wanted to get into a comparison of Modern verse Mike's. It was the "old goat" that started the whole thing. He somehow has an obsession about me (*laugh out loud - very loud*).
    Now Peace to Mike's as well as Modern. You all can choose whatever pastry or desert you like, while I eat my sugar free Jello. Fused Berries, please!

Ps. On your recommendation, we will someday go to Al Dente. Thanks!

I think Mike's is good, just too busy. Pingo, if you and your husband do not like cannolis they have delicious cheesecake and cookies!
    Posted by Elmgirl82

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

Pingo, great! Al Dente is fantastic! Small, intimate and the food is divine. Also, I would highly recommend Carmen. Was that already suggested?
    There are so many hidden gems in The North End and I find the ones that are smaller and not advertised to be the better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

Pingo, I hope I did not offend you. I was not criticizing your opinion on Mikes, just throwing my opinion out there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Elmgirl - no, no not at all. Opinions - this is what the forums are for. I understood you all the way. And let me just nail this down. I am not a desert, pastry or sweet lover - so my opinion do not count anyway.
    We may be going to Al Dente during the TG holidays, while our sons will be home to visit. We always like to try a new place recommended to us. Thanks!

Pingo, I hope I did not offend you. I was not criticizing your opinion on Mikes, just throwing my opinion out there.
    Posted by Elmgirl82

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

Great! You will enjoy it :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

One of my favorite bakeries in the North End is Bova's, the corner of Parmenter & Salem Street.  Great place to get a slice of pizza at any time.  I love their chocolate chip cookies, their italian bread, and I find their cannoli's to be the freshest in the North End (just my 2 cents).

I used to go to Mike's Pastry all the time, but ever since Bill Clinton had a cannoli from them, they've declined rapidly.    I haven't been to Mike's in years and I'm not about to go back.  

I have also heard rave reviews about Modern Pastry on Hanover Street, but I haven't been there in so long, I can't offer a firsthand thought, idea or opinion.

Another piece of North End advice:  leave the car @ home and utilize the T when you go there.  You'll save yourself a fortune in parking fees and a ton of aggravation.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WildOn. Show WildOn's posts

To the person responsible for filing the Abuse Report that resulted in the majority of the messages in this thread being deleted:

I hope one day somebody demonstrates for you what message board abuse really looks like, because clearly you dont know what it is, otherwise you never would have filed your report in the first place

It wont be me giving you the demonstration by the way. I dont post messages of that kind

But none of the messages in this thread were abusive. There was no reason for any of them had to be removed

Why the board is being run this way, I have no idea. It's sad that the moderators are allowing this sort of thing to keep happening over and over again...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TelflonLaw. Show TelflonLaw's posts

Does BDC Dottie have any sort of professional credentials? Because a 2 year old would be a better message board moderator than her.

Dottie has literally removed 10 to 15 times more Red Sox fans from a Red Sox message board than Yankees fans. She's clearly incompetent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

eel:

Your message would improve with a few edits and style points from a professional like me, but overall you did a fine job describing the miserable state of affairs wrought by dottie/OBN and the bleak future it portends

I would add more, but by the time you look in on the board again, this message will in all liklihood already be deleted and I will have been banned

So why even bother? You know what I mean?

Peace

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

Mo Handy, ever cross your mind that some demented mod has taken it into their mind to be pingo's protector?

Yes, eel. That is precisely the problem. Dottie has overstepped her authority. She enforces rules against me (and perhaps against others as well) that simply do not exist. It would be one thing if I swore at the OBN people all the time, or if I spoke in a lewd/vulgar manner, or if I spammed their board on them every day. For those offenses, I would deserve being banned. But I dont deserve banishment just because some people here perceive me to be too "sarcastic" for their taste

But it isnt just dottie (who IMO is a grandmother groupie). It is a partnership between her and OBN. The cycle of tattling/banning/deleting must end

Btw, I wonder how pingocchio would like it if one day (as has happened to me 9 times now) she tried signing into the board, but was blocked from doing so. Then when she looked into her forum, she discovered that all the threads she had ever started were deleted and that all the messages she ever posted were removed as well. Then when she wrote dottie about it, asking what was up, dottie refused to respond to her. No matter how many times pingocchio wrote, she got no reply. Just a big stonewall

Do you think pingocchio would like that? No, the answer is no, she wouldnt...

I will just say that I do not think he is a cruel person. A moron at times, yes, but not intentionally cruel.

Right. I am a moron, but not a cruel moron. Thank you for pointing that out. It's a distinction that needs to be made more often...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

I decided to go in and delete the latest response I had posted.  I don't want to engage in a go around about Moses.
    Posted by toytrumpet

I dont blame you, trumpet. I cant think of anything more enervating or more boring than "engaging in a go around" about me

OMG

Talk about spiritual self-annihilation...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

Why on EARTH are you guys turning this post into childish teasing when the original poster asked about suggestions for places to eat in the North End?!
    Posted by Elmgirl82

Ask pingocchio. She started it...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

Moses, You assert above, youve written to dottie about me only once. Then in your very next breath, you mention two separate incidents in which you wrote her. You can't even read. And you call yourself a professional???? pfffffft to you!
    Posted by pingo

Yes, professional. Youve heard of the "MBUC Rule Book of Style and Usage", I assume

PS If I were forced to edit your brutal copy for even one day, I would quit the assignment immediately and enlist as foretopman in the Somalian Pirates for Peace...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

I have a lot better things to do, than arguing with a bunch of morons.
    Posted by pingo

Yeah, like filing abuse reports and then pretending you didnt...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

In Response to Re: North End Treasures : Mo, I really don't think pingo has filed any abuse report other than the one she admitted to. But, slaps forhead with palm of hand , what is wrong with me. Of course you don't think so either. (Duh! eel!) You're just doing your usual wildo thing. You think you found a way to get under her skin and now you'll never let it go. Pingo, this is Wildo's 2nd grade boy tormenting girl mentality way of expressing his lurve for ya. Try to bear with it and take it as the flattery it really is. You are a goddess in his eyes. PS Mo Ha, If any abuse reports were even filed, I'm willing to bet it's someone else who is suspiciously quiet right now. Someone who has been found guilty in the past ....
    Posted by The-air-of-one-night

eel, please do not speak for me. This is no attention grab. I truly believe pingocchio is responsible for the message deletions in this thread

Yeah, it may have been the dirty work of the "suspiciously quiet" one to whom you refer, ie, the gal who never stops yapping about her trips to Maine, her lobster dinners, and walks along the Esplanade. She is the original OBN Snitch, and I put nothing past her

But ever since the "Happy Birthday" episode in March, when I was banned for wishing pingocchio a Happy GD Birthday, she (pingocchio) has been guiltyguiltyguilty in my eyes

This is not the first time she posted her "Oh, thank you, dottie *winkwink* To you and to your elves *winkwink* Youre doing a great job *winkwink*" routine. She did the same exact thing back in August following the deletion of all the threads associated with Pingo Aoppreciation Day. Where were you for that extravaganza by the way? Thanks for all the support, FG. Yeah, thanks for nothing...

One other thing I dont like about pingocchio: She is an immigrant to America who is intolerant of other immigrants. As an illegal alien myself, I find her attitude very disturbing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

In Response to Re: North End Treasures : To be precise I said you are not an intentionally cruel moron. You don't have a mean streak but you are insensitive at times and go too far once in a while. Most people are willing to overlook it because you are very talented and funny otherwise. Best of luck to you too, old boy. I just have one more chalking to post, a letter of complaint to write to the editor about the Intentionally cruel deletions and bannings and then I'm outta BDC. This place has become impossible.
    Posted by The-air-of-one-night

Good bye, mrs eel. Are you really leaving for good?

Well, I will think of you every time I sing "BrownNoseB"

Of all my wonderful parody tunes (and there were dozens of them as you know), that is by far my favorite to sing:)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

The OG played a great villain. It was during his tenure here that I went from having a chat room orientation online to a message board orientation. Not saying he is totally responsible for that, but love him or hate him, he was the central player here back then, and so I have to give him some of the credit for my "transformation". He made things, ummm, interesting. Tell him I said so too please if you still are in contact with him

It was a blast, eel. Say hi to Nate and Ophelia for me:)

PS It's "I Once Slurped the Eel"

Geesh...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

But I was very upset, when he started to make fun of toy trumpet and her innocent and delightful poems.
    Posted by pingo

pingocchio:

I didnt address this portion of your message the other day, but I am responding to it now, because it bothers me

For the last time, I did not make fun of toytrumpet's poetry

In the blurb I wrote for her in the Confidential Chat Forum Power Ranking, I made a joking reference to the fact that she writes poetry. And then much later, I made a statement about online poetry in general. I said most/all of it was doggerel. Please note, it was a general statement. While I was including tt's verse in the blanket statement that day, I wasnt singling her out specifically. Understand?

But even if I did, so what? Doggerel is often fun and entertaining. It isnt something a university student is likely to give serious thought to 100 years from now, but that doesnt stop you or me or whoever from enjoying it today

Now that is the extent of anything I ever said on the subject, but for some reason, you (and mitzie and to a lesser degree tt herself) keep perpetuating the myth that I dissed trumpet

Baloney! I did not

Now stop lying about me, pingocchio. I know what you are trying to do

Just because I see through you like a double hung window, doesnt give you the right to tell stories about me

So stop your lying

Oh, and one other thing before I forget--> pfffffft!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MosesHandworff. Show MosesHandworff's posts

In Response to Re: North End Treasures : Here I am, the eternal peace-maker. MOST of the time, I find Wildon etc. amusing, a bit rough around the corners, and so probably not too welcome it a ladies tea circle, but otherwise a lot of fund to read.And my dear friend Air/eel is trying to beat me to the punch for peace making. Please,,,let's not have any more deletions unless it is  for bad  language. THe Globe has always stoop for freedom of speech. I hope they continue. That is the beauty of the American Press. If you don't like what is said, just don't read it. And Pingo, just let him rant. If you don't like him, well you probably have company (not me), but I find him harmless. Is he rude? I don't think intentionall, but in print sometimes it is hard to tell the mood of the tone of the writer. So EVERYONE/// CAN WE ALL JUST GET ALONG North end restaurants..... Ya, there are a FEW IN the North End of Phoenix, but I seldom go there.   (hee hee
    Posted by Ken1935

Ken, I agree with you. No deletions unless absolutely necessary

But trumpet has a device at home. I call it her "Sarcasm-O'Meter". It accurately measures the level of sarcasm in every message posted here on the board. Apparently when she uses it on my messages, the little red arrow on the thing shoots way, way over to the right, indicating a serious sarcasm overload

Naturally the excess sarcasm finding triggers an immediate abuse report filing with dottie. The offending message is then deleted, and I am banned

Not a fair system in my opinion, but the gals at OBN love it

PS Thank you for your kind words of support. I appreciate them very much

Happy Thanksgiving to you...

Sections
Shortcuts