Pickled Green Tomatoes!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pickled Green Tomatoes!

First: 12/15/2005
    Last: 8/9/2009
    This has not been a banner year for any of us New Englanders in "growing your own tomatoes" department. Too much rain, too little sun. I have not seen a single red one yet - but have plenty of green ones. As much as I love a just picked ripe tomato, I am not sad. I can pickle the green ones. Have done that for years. In fact our Thanksgiving Dinner is not TG w/o them. I used to save some green ones just for that purpose. But this year - not to worry, I will have plenty.
    This recipe, I got from my sister, who is not with us any longer. Here we go:

Pickled green tomatoes:

2 quarts green tomatoes. 
    2 c. sugar
    3 Tbs. salt
    2 cups vinegar
    5 - 7 cloves
    2 inch piece of cinnamon
    5 - 7 peppercorns
    If you like it spicy - a couple of dried chilies will do.

Clean and rinse tomatoes. Cut the larger one in quarters, pri*k the smaller ones deeply with a fork.
    Bring sugar, vinager, salt and spices to a boil.
    Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil again. As soon they come to a boil, take them off the heat immediately.
    Now scoop up the tomatoes and place in hot clean, sterilised (dishwasher will do that) jars. Boil the liquid for 10 - 15 minutes longer and pour it over the tomatoes. Quickly seal them and refrigerate. Since no preservative is added - keep refrigerated. Will stay well until Thanksgiving. Mine are usually eaten up by then.
    Enjoy!

Edit to add:
    One note on the pickled tomatoes. Depending on how juicy the tomatoes are, the liquid can sometimes run thin. I have made them many times and it only happened to me twice. I just pour off all the liquid, boil it some more and then pour it back on the tomatoes. I guess, I didn't boil the liquid long enough the first time to thicken it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Pickled Green Tomatoes!

Thank you so much, Pingo!!  I will definitely use your recipe as I've been pining for my long departed great-grandmothers and wishing I'd gotten her recipe box.  I'm sure it's as long gone as she is... :(  I LOVE green tomato pickles; they are a highlight of my childhood summers.  We used to put them on burgers my grandfather cooked to perfection.  Mmmm.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

We just opened the first jar of my Pickled Green Tomatoes last night - after having them sitting about a month in my refrigerator. Oh, wonderful, wonderful! Every year  I am amazed how good they are. (Mr. P would have finished the jar, if I had not wrangled it from him).
    If you still have some green tomatoes left, do yourself a favor and pickle them. I promise you, you won't be sorry.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YUM!  Glad they turned out their usual best, pingo!!  I'll see how many we have that are not rotten on the underbellies - I think they're all yucky. :(

There's always next year, right?