Pingo's modified ice cream recipe for ice cream maker!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pingo's modified ice cream recipe for ice cream maker!

Here are two versions of my homemade ice cream plus a sherbet. The vanilla one is very basic. You can play with it to make your own flavors. Also, I never use as much sugar as any original recipe calls for. You can vary that to your taste. And I never use heavy cream - always half and half. The pudding gives the ice cream a nice custard feeling.

French Vanilla Ice Cream:

Two eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/8 teasp. salt 1/2 box (3 Tbs.) instant vanilla pudding (I use Jello)
    2 cups whole milk
    1 pint Half and Half
    1-1/2 teasp. vanilla extract

Beat the eggs in a bowl until fluffy
    Add sugar and vanilla pudding and beat until dissolved
    Add the vanilla extract and the milk and the cream
    Mix until incorporated

Place your freezer bowl on the machine, add the paddle and the top and start it. Pour the mixture into the bowl, through the hole on top, while the machine is running. The ice cream will be done in about 20 - 30 minutes. You can hear the machine slow down and strain a bit. Remove the ice cream from the bowl and place in a flattish container (easier to scoop).  I use a 2 inch tall, 8 x 8 inch square rubbermaid container. Place a peace of Saran Wrap or parchment paper on the top of the ice cream and pat it down in order to avoid crystals. Place in your freezer to "ripen" for at least a couple of hours.

Fresh Banana Ice cream:

2 eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/8 teasp. salt
    1/2 box (3 Tbs.) vanilla or banana instant pudding
    3 very ripe bananas
    1 pint Half and Half

Beat eggs, sugar, salt and pudding as above. Beat in chunks of bananas until well incorporated (the bananas will liquefy during the beating). Add the half and half and proceed freezing as above.

Orange Sherbet:

3 cups whole milk
    2 cups orange juice
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/8 teasp. salt

Mix everything and stir with a plastic spatula until the sugar dissolves. Freeze as above.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Pingo's modified ice cream recipe for ice cream maker!

Thanks, Pingo!  I'm so excited to have received your ice cream maker that I was "this close" to buying last summer.  YAY!

Have you ever made anything fat free in it?  I just bought some organic rice milk and some fat free Greek yogurt from TJs as potential ingredients for my new toy.

Sections
Shortcuts