Quinoa Black Bean Chili

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Quinoa Black Bean Chili

Removed for the TJs quinoa contest!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Quinoa Black Bean Chili

Kar, that sounds delicious - right up our alley. Have already put the recipe n my folder: Recipes to try.
    Thanks - Pingo

ETA: Now I am wondering about that "miracle" pot of mine. Bet I could do it in that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's great, Pingo.  Hm, you probably could use the pressure cooker, just toss it all together and cook for, what, 15 minutes?  However, you'd be risking my measurements loosely recalled from palm measuring that way, and however it turns out is how it's gonna be.  You might want to make it the old fashioned way first and taste and make any adjustments before you serve it and save your changes for future use.  Then, once you have the recipe the way you like it, toss everything in the pressure cooker and be done with it in 15 minutes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hello Kar,

Very nice recipe you posted, thanks.  I'm definitely going to make it.  Looks like an excellent way to get the most bang out of the quinoa, which as you know, is rather expensive.  

RE: rinsing the quinoa -- As it is, I recently bought a bag of quinoa, and it says right on the package that it is pre-washed, and there is no need to pre-soak or wash it.   

Just wanted to mention that, in case others have purchased quinoa with the same pre-treatment.   I suppose it can never hurt to rinse it again, just saying that there are some instances where it won't be necessary.   

Thanks again for the recipe.  :)  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never seen pre-washed quinoa - thanks, yoga!

If you don't have a pre-washed one, though, be sure you do wash it; don't have the misfortune of trying it with that yucky bitter coating.  No one would like that!  Properly rinsed (either by the distributor as marked on the package or in your kitchen), it's got a very mild, nutty flavor that wouldn't offend even the most picky of palettes imho.  

It's a lot like couscous, actually, when well cooked, and can be used in place of it  as long as it's cooked according to the quinoa directions, not like couscous (which basically just has to soak up hot water to be done).  It's a great way to get whole grains in your diet instead of pasta without anyone noticing much difference.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I checked, and quinoa does very well in a pressure cooker. It needs only 2 minutes under pressure and then let it sit and come down to natural pressure on its own.
    I would wash the grains, even though the package says pre-washed. Can't hurt. I do the same w/ pre-washed greens and veggies. I just like my own water better, I guess. - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

2 minutes?!  I neeeeed this magic machine.  You will literally take more time opening the ingredients than it will take to make.  Please let us know how it comes out.

My SIL is trying it today (at least that was her plan this morning) so hopefully she'll tell me anything that needs adjusting so I can update the recipe if need be.  I'm a little concerned about my guesses.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Going to try this next weekend! Thanks Kar.  I bet the salsa just makes it, I have made chili so many different ways and have never stuck to a recipe. Going to use salsa in the chili from now on! 

Yoga Friend- I get my quinoa at Trader Joes and I think it's only $2 or so a box.   (I think you shop there too Kar!) If you have a TJ's near you, I highly recommend hitting it up! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Awesome, ajuly!  I hope you love it, too.  Yes, in fact, I'm going there today and will look for it.

It makes a lot.  You can 1/2 the recipe if you want to make sure you like it first.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Quinoa Black Bean Chili:
    [QUOTE]Yoga Friend- I get my quinoa at Trader Joes and I think it's only $2 or so a box.   (I think you shop there too Kar!) If you have a TJ's near you, I highly recommend hitting it up! 
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Ajuly, I do live near a TJ's, and will hit them up if it's that well priced.

I made Kar's recipe over the weekend and it's very good.  I made a number of modifications.  Anyone that has made chile a number of times probably doesn't follow a strict recipe very often any more than I do.  However, when I normally make chile, I make an accompanying dish of rice (for example) on the side, not in the same pot.  

So the trick with this recipe, IMO, is to be careful you don't end up with chile that's so dense you can cut it with a knife.  :D    Just watch the water to solids ratio  -- otherwise, I added chopped celery, used diced tomatoes instead of salsa, didn't use cheese, etc., and it was fine, and a very good "one pot" dish that makes cleaning up afterwards a breeze.   For me it was more about finding a recipe for quinoa, than for chile, if you see what I mean.   :D

NOTE: I halved the recipe, as Kar suggests.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yoga makes a great point, thanks for bringing that up.  The quinoa seems to s.uck up more moisture every day.  Now that I think about it, I do keep an open box of vegetable stock on hand to loosen it up as we finish it.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TwoCentDonation. Show TwoCentDonation's posts

Thank you for posting this recipe!  I love quinoa, and I've been looking for more to do with it other than mix it with sauteed onions and veggies :)  And, like yogafriend, I use the pre-washed quinoa.  I never seem to be able to rinse things like quinoa and rice enough, so I'm willing to spend a little extra and get the pre-washed items.

Btw, quinoa fans might like to know that Petit Robert Central in Downtown Crossing has a really yummy quinoa burger on their dinner menu.  They change their menus seasonally, so I don't know if the item will be quasi-permanent or not.  I think it also has faro in it as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Great! Let me know if you try it, 2cents, and be sure to have extra stock at the ready - I'm really not sure how much I put in, and it can get too stiff, like yoga said.  I'll be on the lookout for prewashed quinoa, now, too.

You can vastly expand your quinoa recipe repertoire if you look for couscous recipes instead and sub precooked quinoa!  I tried this one with quinoa when my parents came to visit (didn't make the pork chops), and we all loved it.  Couscous w/cherries and scallions  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Kar, would you consider reposting this recipe? It sounds great. My family just recently has gotten into quinoa. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Rama, will be glad to - I am pretty sure I can find it.  If you are new to quinoa, a fabulslous way to use it in many different ways is to google cous cous recipes and use plain, cooked quinoa in place of the cous cous (which is pasta).  Works great!!

robin, thanks for pointing out this post!

Sections
Shortcuts