Rhubarb Custard Pie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Rhubarb Custard Pie

With rhubarb in season, I thought it appropriate to post this recipe.  I don't know who to give credit to.  I found it in my mother's recipe box.

Set oven at 400 degrees.

Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and a dash of salt.  Add to 3 beaten eggs and beat smooth.  Stir in 4 cups 1-inch slices of rhubarb.

Prepare pastry for 9-inch lattice-top pie.  Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry.  Fill with rhubarb mixture.  Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.  Adjust lattice top and seal.  Bake for 50 minutes.

Submitted by mothermitzi.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Rhubarb Custard Pie

WOW Mothermitzy, that recipe soounds really great. I am going to a 'garden party' this Friday. Was thinking of bringing a blueberry crisp - but now I may just make yours to bring.
    BTW. blueberries is only 2 for $3 this week at Stop and Shop. Can' t beat that.

QUOTE]With rhubarb in season, I thought it appropriate to post this recipe.  I don't know who to give credit to.  I found it in my mother's recipe box. Set oven at 400 degrees. Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and a dash of salt.  Add to 3 beaten eggs and beat smooth.  Stir in 4 cups 1-inch slices of rhubarb. Prepare pastry for 9-inch lattice-top pie.  Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry.  Fill with rhubarb mixture.  Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.  Adjust lattice top and seal.  Bake for 50 minutes. Submitted by mothermitzi.
    Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]WOW Mothermitzy, that recipe soounds really great. I am going to a 'garden party' this Friday. Was thinking of bringing a blueberry crisp - but now I may just make yours to bring. BTW. blueberries is only 2 for $3 this week at Stop and Shop. Can' t beat that. QUOTE]With rhubarb in season, I thought it appropriate to post this recipe.  I don't know who to give credit to.  I found it in my mother's recipe box. Set oven at 400 degrees. Mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg and a dash of salt.  Add to 3 beaten eggs and beat smooth.  Stir in 4 cups 1-inch slices of rhubarb. Prepare pastry for 9-inch lattice-top pie.  Line 9-inch pie plate with pastry.  Fill with rhubarb mixture.  Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.  Adjust lattice top and seal.  Bake for 50 minutes. Submitted by mothermitzi. Posted by mothermitzi[/QUOTE]
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hi pingo -

I got some good blues at Trader Joe's last weekend. I like them in a morning smoothie.  I happened across this recipe but haven't actually made it myself, so I can't personally vouch for it.

mothermitzi 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Would you know it - mm, was looking for rhubarb today at S & S, but no rhubarb. I wanted to make your pie. Oh well!
    I bought some more blue berries  - so it will have to be a blueberry crisp. Which is nice this time of the year - with ice cream, whipped cream or just good old Cool Whip.
    The friend we are visiting is not a dessert maker - so she said bring any dessert you like.
    Actually, she is a terrible cook. The only thing she cannot go wrong with is the salad (with store bought dressing). The rest of the meal is usually awful. I am surprised her husband has survived this long.
    So, I am very happy to bring my own. I am also considering bringing an appetizer. At least we will not starve. Mr. P always argue w/me, every time I accept an invitation from her. (This time, you could have told her we are leaving for Ireland the next day).
    But she has a heart of gold. She will do anything for anyone - if needed. That is more important than 'raw half cooked food'. So far, we have not gotten sick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Our blueberry bushes are loaded this year, and DH is looking forward to my whipping up some tasty treats. (He does the planting and tending, I do the cooking.) Pingo, would love your crisp recipe if you don't mind. Is it diabetic friendly? I am trying to think of healthy ways to use the berries. You're story cracked me up. We love our friends, of course, but suffering through bad cooking is a sacrifice. mothermitzi, that custard sounds delish! I've given up on using the rhubarb in savory, healthy recipes. Why not live a little, right? We drive to a local pie shop for it, anyway, so nothing gained by avoiding making it at home, although, of course, we'd end up with a WHOLE PIE that way. I can predict what would happen, and it isn't pretty! I'd be as guilty as DH wolfing it down. ~kar

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

I have always wanted a recipe for strawberry-rhubarb pie.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

[QUOTE]Our blueberry bushes are loaded this year, and DH is looking forward to my whipping up some tasty treats. (He does the planting and tending, I do the cooking.) Pingo, would love your crisp recipe if you don't mind. Is it diabetic friendly? I am trying to think of healthy ways to use the berries. You're story cracked me up. We love our friends, of course, but suffering through bad cooking is a sacrifice. mothermitzi, that custard sounds delish! I've given up on using the rhubarb in savory, healthy recipes. Why not live a little, right? We drive to a local pie shop for it, anyway, so nothing gained by avoiding making it at home, although, of course, we'd end up with a WHOLE PIE that way. I can predict what would happen, and it isn't pretty! I'd be as guilty as DH wolfing it down. ~kar
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Hi kargiver -

I never used rhubarb in anything healthy or savory!  I always baked it in a pie with strawberries. That is my favorite pie.  Lemon meringue is a close second.  I never made this recipe, but I am curious and plan to try it this weekend.  I thought it was appropriate to post, being rhubarb season and all. When I bake these days, three quarters of whatever I make goes right out the door to neighbors and my father.  I have little willpower where sweets are concerned, especially pie.  

mothermitzi     

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Rhubard used to be grown next to sugar beets. For every pound of rhubard you used two pounds of sugar.

Sections
Shortcuts