Sour Cream Coffee Cake - Vintage C.C. Column

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sour Cream Coffee Cake - Vintage C.C. Column

This is a very old yellowed copy of a recipe I clipped many years ago from the C.C. column.  Please note that the tube pan referred to is not one of those larger angel food type pans of today.  I happen to still have my mother's tube pan which held a regular size cake batter.  I suppose it could be made in any type of pan meant for a regular cake - the layering is what gives it the flavor.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

1/2 cup shortening
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 cup brown sugar

Topping:
    1/2 cup chopped nuts
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix main batter in order given and pour half into a greased tube pan. and sprinkle with half the topping.  Repeat.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Originally sent in by Old Top from Sagadahoc

(Mine this morning was ready in about 38 minutes, so maybe start testing it from 35 minutes on.  Original recipe said 45 minutes.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: Sour Cream Coffee Cake - Vintage C.C. Column

Hi tt -

Thanks very much for posting this.  It will come in handy for feeding my weekend company.  Boy, I wish I had a slice right now!  I have my mother's old tube pan, too.  Bet you could use a bundt pan, as well.  Have a great day.

mothermitzi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt,
    I don' t remember that nom either. But this recipe sounds fantastic. Do you know, how many cups your "mother's old tube pan" holds? I don't have a tube pan, but I do have a bunt pan. I am sure one could even bake it in a square pan. One more question, what kind of shortening do you use? I like to use butter (yes, I know - it is bad for you, but so is most of the ingredients that goes into any cake). Also, I find it interesting, that the guey stuff will be at the bottom of the cake, when you turn it out. I would think one has to start with the "topping" and then layer it ending with the batter. Just my 2 cents. - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Sour Cream Coffee Cake - Vintage C.C. Column:
    Hi tt - Thanks very much for posting this.  It will come in handy for feeding my weekend company.  Boy, I wish I had a slice right now!  I have my mother's old tube pan, too.  Bet you could use a bundt pan, as well.  Have a great day. mothermitzi
    Posted by mothermitzi

It is sooooo good, Mothermitzi, just as written.  Had just finished a thick slice with a cup of coffee and a girlfriend called.  I told her she was sent to keep me from going back and slicing another piece!  She's diabetic so has to watch her sweets, but I set her drooling, she said this was always what her family wanted and still wants as part of Christmas brunch.  She, like me, hadn't made it in  years.  She had succumbed to bringing one of the store bought (Boston coffee cake) and the family hasn't been too happy with the substitution!  I'll have to freeze a couple of slices and bring them over when we get together next week.  Enjoy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

You turn this out of the pan same as a regular cake - cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn it out upside down on a rack, and flip it back over right side up on another rack.  No goo, it's a regular coffee cake - cake - cinnamon, brown sugar and nuts layer (not gooey) - cake and then cinnamon, brown sugar and nuts layer on top.  Slices easily.

A bundt pan would work fine, I'm sure, just don't put it in one of those large angel food type pans, the sides would be way too deep for the cake.

This is not a butter cake.  I use Crisco.  A lot of the old and good recipes called for shortening.  You'll see, this is perfect, as is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarabelle1985. Show sarabelle1985's posts

In Response to Sour Cream Coffee Cake - Vintage C.C. Column:

Thanks for posting. Sounds delicious!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Here is my family's recipe - we always use butter.  Scientists are now saying that moderate amounts of butter are not bad - I have always believed that real food is the best.

Ingredients for cake

1 cup light brown sugar, packed

½ cup granulated sugar

¼ cup dark brown sugar (gives cake nice color; if it's easier use all light brown sugar)

1 cup butter, softened/room temp

¼ tsp salt

3 eggs, beaten

2 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups sour cream

3 cups flour (I like to use some whole wheat or add wheat germ)

1½ tsp baking powder

1½ tsp baking soda

Ingredients for streusel and topping

¼ cup dark brown sugar

¼ cup light brown sugar

Plus Options for topping:

½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts

½ cup chocolate or butterscotch chips

½ cup chopped apple

1) Cream sugars, butter, salt, eggs, vanilla

2) Mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda

3) Sift half of flour mixture into creamed ingredients and beat on a slow speed

4) Alternately add remaining flour along with sour cream beating until very smooth

5) Preheat oven to 350°

6) Butter and flour tube/bundt pan

7) Pour half of batter into pan then cover with a generous layer of streussel mixture

8) Pour remaining batter and cover with generous layer of streussel mixture

9) Bake 45-55 minutes until top has well settled and cake tester comes out relatively cleanly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I don't think the reason they didn't used butter was because of any preconceived ideas about it not being good for you, afterall, this was many many years ago that this recipe came out, and people were still scooping the cream off the top of the milk to use on their cereal.  Shortening (Crisco) and butter have different melting/baking properties, and the Crisco gives this cake it's "coffee cake" texture.

Your family's recipe sounds delicious, like a much richer version.  Thanks for sharing.

Sections
Shortcuts