toytrumpet/Turk's Head Freeze Ahead Cookies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

toytrumpet/Turk's Head Freeze Ahead Cookies

2 1/4 cup sugar 5 1/4 cup flour
    1 1/2 cup margarine 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    3 eggs 1 1/2 tsp. salt

Cream sugar and margarine together.  Add eggs, then dry ingredients and vanilla.
    Divide dough into 3 equal parts and add any of the following variations to each one.  Form into 3 rolls and refrigerate, or double wrap and freeze until ready to slice and bake.

Chocolate Pinwheels:  Use 2 parts dough for these.  Leave one plain, and to the other add and work in 1 square of melted chocolate and and 1/4 cup sugar.  Roll each separate into a rectangle, place one on top of the other, and roll up jelly roll fashion.  Slice and bake or freeze for later baking.

For my pistachio pinwheels:  I used 2 parts dough.  With one I worked in 1 square melted chocolate and 1/4 cup sugar.  To a second I worked in dry pistachio pudding mix (to reach the color and taste you want) plus 1 drop green food coloring. Roll each separate into a rectangle, place one on top of the other, and roll up jelly roll fashion.  Slice and bake or freeze for later baking. 

Cherry Dots:  Roll out one part dough and place cherries in a line at the edge of the dough.  Roll jelly roll fashion so that the cherries are centered.  Slice and bake.

Chocolate Swirls:  roll out one part dough and spread with 1 cup melted chocolate chips. Roll jelly roll fashion, slice and bake.

Brown sugar crisps:  Use all brown sugar instead of white and bake one part plain for these crisps.  Use the other two parts for the following Date Pinwheels.

Date Pinwheels:  Chop 7 ounces dates.  Mix with 1/4 cup sugar, dash salt, 1/3 cup water.  Cook all together 5 minutes.  Add 1/4 cup chopped nuts if desired; cool.  Roll out 2 parts of dough into rectangles, spread each with cooled mixture, roll jelly roll fashion and slice and bake or freeze for later baking.

Original recipe sent in by Turk's Head called for baking at 400 for 8 mins.
    I have a notation on mine to bake at 375 for 10 minutes.

These make many cookies and are perfect for freezing for either baking at a later time or to bake and then freeze to serve, especially at holiday time when they can be made in November and used as gifts for family and friends at Christmas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: toytrumpet/Turk's Head Freeze Ahead Cookies

thanks tt.  I'm going to have to give these a shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

tt, you are a gem to copy all this!  Thanks so much.  I like the sound of the cherry dots, too.  I like the fact that you can make the dough ahead of time and freeze it. Nothing like the tatse of a homemade cookie.  

mothermitzi  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wow tt - this is quite a lengthy recipe. But I like it, since one can make the dough ahead and freeze it. Only question I have. Why divide the dough in three? In all of the variances, you only need two parts dough. Just thought it was funny. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Because by dividing it into 3 balls, it gives you the opportunity to make at least 2 different varieties:  2 rectangles used for a pinwheel recipe, and a 3rd to use one of the other suggestions, needing only one rectangle; or you could skip the pinwheel recipes and use 3 individual rectangles to make 3 different varieties.

This is the way the recipe was printed, you could, of course divide the dough into as many or as few balls as you wish, the idea being to make a variety of cookies.