4 tbsp. butter plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1/2 cup each of diced onion, celery, and carrot
    3 tbsp. fllour
    1/2 tsp. ginger
    1/4 tsp. cloves
    1/4 tsp. allspice
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    6 cups chicken stock (1 may be vegetable stock substituted)
    7 cups pureed pumpkin
    4 tbsp plus 1 tsp. brown sugar (not sure cupwise, how much this is, I just added to my taste)
    1 cup light cream (more or less, to your taste)

Melt butter in a large pot.  Saute diced onion, celery and carrot until transluscent.  Add spices and cook 2-3 minutes.  Add flour and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring well.  Add 2 cups chicken stock and simmer 10-15 minutes to soften veggies.  Then either use immersion blender or as I did, put it through a food mill.  Pour what went through mill back in pot (except for what stays on top of sieve) and add rest of stock.  Add pumpkin, and brown sugar and stir well.   Simmer 20 minutes, stirring often so that it doesn't catch on.  Salt and pepper to taste. At this point I stopped cooking, cooled and refrigerated.  The day of serving I heated slightly and slowly added about 1 cup of light cream (to your taste) and kept on very low heat, serving within minutes.
    With servings of 1 soup ladle each, this easily served 12 as a first course.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Toytrumpet's Pumpkin Soup

Toytrupmet, I know you posted this last year, but I just made this, and it is DELICIOUS!!! Can't wait for dinner tonight :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Liz

Thank you!  I have the recipe pulled out to make and bring for Thanksgiving Dinner again this year.  My only problem is that is does make a BIG batch. Last time I made it, the leftovers were scooped up and brought home by a couple of the single guys.  Hope your family enjoyed it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'll definitely be making this, maybe today even.  (And, since there are 16 tablespoons to a cup you could list the brown sugar in terms of cups as, "a slightly rounded 1/4 cup.")

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Toytrumpet..this sounds delicious...I am experimenting this weekend with a butternut leek soup to use as a first course for Thanksgiving...but I am going to save this one to experiment with next weekend. Thanks for posting...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Your welcome, miscricket.  Hope you enjoy both the soup you are making this week and mine, when you do try it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Toytrumpet, it did make a big batch, but my DH has been bringing it to work for lunch and we are probably going to freeze the rest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, 7 cups of pureed pumpkin. If you use the canned version - how man cans do you use? I generally bake and puree my own sugar pumpkins, but this year I am not so up to it. I would also saute a couple of teasp. red pepper flakes w/ the onions - would give it a nice "lift". - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I use one large can of puree and then enough out of a smaller can to make the 7 cups.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks!

In Response to Re: Toytrumpet's Pumpkin Soup:
    [QUOTE]I use one large can of puree and then enough out of a smaller can to make the 7 cups.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts