Wowie Cake

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Wowie Cake

I posted this recipe per a request on the Food:  recipes thread, but feel it really should appear in this thread also, since it truly is a recipe that appeared in the Chat pages way back when my boys were young.  It makes a rich moist dark chocolate cake, perfect to eat as is.  No need to frost.

This cake is mixed and made right in an 8x8 pan, altho when my boys were small I used to double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan.

1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    1/3 cup salad oil
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup cold water

Sift first 5 ingredients into ungreased pan.
    Add rest of the ingredients and stir until blended.
    Bake in 350 oven for 35 minutes.  Test at 30 minutes.
    Cut and serve squares right from pan.  I top my servings with whipped cream, but the boys used to gobble it as is.

Originally submitted to Confidential Chat pages by Blue Pencil.
    Resubmitted by toytrumpet, September 2010

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: Wowie Cake

Sounds yummy - easy to make, too. This will come in handy now that my grandchildren are back in the area.  Thanks tt.  

I'll have to come up with a recipe to post.  Been ages since I contributed one.

mothermitzi   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

TT, I need a vegan dessert for this weekend and I've been racking my brains, but this is it!  Thanks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Wowie Cake:
    [QUOTE]TT, I need a vegan dessert for this weekend and I've been racking my brains, but this is it!  Thanks!
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about you this week-end, hats, and wondering where you had gone to.  Glad if this fits the bill.  Can be served as is or with a sauce, or a non dairy topping, can have nuts added, - well, I'm sure I don't need to tell you, any number of additions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I am honored that you were thinking of me, TT.  I decided to step back for a while but can't resist posting and using good recipes.

Was thinking of a glaze that could be made with water or veg oil.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Wowie Cake:
    [QUOTE]I am honored that you were thinking of me, TT.  I decided to step back for a while but can't resist posting and using good recipes. Was thinking of a glaze that could be made with water or veg oil.....
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

The cake is very rich in itself, so I wouldn't do anything too sweet.  The ideal is something cold with it.  I posted a choc sauce recipe, but am not advocating that with it - too much of a good thing - if that's possible with chocolate!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

The person I am making it for can't have dairy, so no ice cream or cool whip.  Plus I can't make a hot sauce there and so I was just thinking to drizzle the top with a confec sugar/water glaze.  I have made choc sauce, but with no stove access.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What about the non-dairy whipped toppings?  Do they have milk derivatives?  Having eaten the cake, I personally would rather have it plain than with a glaze on it.  It's a very moist dessert cake, not one you turn out of the pan - but cut into squares and serve right from the baking dish.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I saw this on Wikipedia:

"Cool Whip is a brand of imitation whipped cream named a whipped topping by its manufacturer. It is used in North America as a dessert topping and in some no-bake pie recipes. It was generally described as "non-dairy" as it contained no cream or milk and no lactose; however, it did contain the milk derivative casein. In 2010 both skimmed milk and light cream were added to Original Cool Whip.[1]"

For someone who's lactose intolerant, Cool Whip is probably okay, but for someone who is a strict vegan, it would not be.  (Or for anyone who appreciates real whipped cream, for that matter.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I thought I had seen that it contained at the very least, milk derivatives.  I think each person has to research for their particular situation.