2010 January Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

2010 January Chat

Has my turn rolled around again?  Happy New Year everyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: 2010 January Chat

Happy New Year!!!  DH and I celebrated at our favorite local restaurant and were snoozing soundly as the ball dropped.

tt, hope you are feeling better.  So glad to not have a tt post-surgery blackout. :)

And to everyone, richest blessings be yours in abudance this year.

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Happy New Year to you as well.  Kar - I was also fast asleep as the ball dropped. No problem here.  I am actually feeling well today and was able to take down all of the Christmas decorations - maybe this will be a good year!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Happy new year to you all from me too.
    We stayed at home. I made a nice dinner and we shared a bottle of wine. Mr. P had rented a couple of movies, but fell asleep on the couch. I stayed up until 10:30, and that was plenty for me.
    Family from overseas woke us up to wish us happy new year just before midnight. Saw the ball "being lowered" as Kar would say - and then good night. The champagne, that was on ice will have to wait until sometime else.
    How boring we have become - but I loved it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I just had to tell you this.
    This afternoon Mr. P said, "I want soup, when are you going to make tt's soup?" Meaning your hamburger soup with the pasta and the beans. I was floored, he usually do not make specific requests like this. Of course I found some frozen away hamburger and I have a pot on the stove right now. After all this heavy holiday eating, a bowl of soup sounds really good to me too.
    Hope your hand is doing better. You don't need to "hunt and peck" me back. Just wanted you to know, you have a new fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You gotta love him!  Last night I thawed out some of my lemon soup (looking for something lite), and boy a good size bowl of that hit the spot - filling but lite.  Went the opposite direction a few minutes ago and put a dish of my creamy potato casserole, stuffing, turkey and onions leftover from Christmas, in the oven to heat up for tonight's supper.

Friend from Danvers stopped down this afternoon for a cuppa and to break the monotomy of being in alone.  I almost wanted to shanghai her and keep her here!  Don't be feeling bad for me, because I'm very serious when I say I have no pain at all.  Hand and wrist are wrapped like a mummy, and my hand is swollen like a mitt, but no pain.

Started off the new year with a backed up toilet that I couldn't one-handed plunge successfully, so had to call youngest son for bathroom detail.  Kept him here talking about any and all things - so you can see I'm beginning to go stir crazy!  Put up with my h&p, it's saving my sanity!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Happy New Year to all.  I wish each of you all the best in 2010.  I've been busy the past few days and not really checking in, so I was happy for some down time today and catch up with posts.  

I had seven in for dinner last night.  I picked up a beef tenderloin and made a mushroom ragout with porcinis served along with horseradish mashed potato and green beans with meyer lemon sauce. Also served a salad of greens, roasted beets, goat cheese and pistachio nuts in a vinaigrette. My neighbor brought a fennel dish and for dessert I made my grandmother's whiskey cake topped with fresh whipped cream. For an appetizer I served assorted cheeses and deviled eggs topped with American caviar. It was great cooking the way I like to cook without counting calories!  I kept enough for one meal of leftovers and sent the rest out the door, especially the cake. Of course I served champagne and wine, as well.  Anyway, a lovely evening with my dear neighbors and my father.

Today, I spoke to all the kids and various friends.  I like chatting on New Year's Day.  Never seem to have time on Christmas Day for a really good chat. I plan to go out to the store in the morning and shop for a couple of days.  Guess we're in for some snow again. One of our vendors gave me a generous gift card to Borders and I want to duck in and pick up two books.  January nights lend themselves to reading.

TT, your "h&p" is fine with me.  I'm delighted you are ok and pain free. What a nuisance about your toilet.  You're lucky to have a son handy to help.  I'm sure he didn't mind.  Take care.

mothermitzi      

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt and pingo -

Just read the last of the December posts.  TT, thanks once again for a lovely poem.  I never tire of reading your poems.  They are a great gift to us.
    Pingo, the sentiments expressed in your year end post ring true and I thank you.

Happy New Year.

mothermitzi  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mothermitzy,
    Nice to see you posting again. Your NYE-dinner sounds delicious. I know, what you mean - to cook w/o feeling guilty. I think we all have gone too far cooking low calorie and healthy to a point, where it is not fun to cook and not fun too eat. Besides whatever you made does not seem out of range at all. It is just, that when there is good food on the table and good company, we tend to overindulge. How much fun is it to eat a microwaved chicken breast and a few stalks of broccoli?
    For NYE I made rack-o-lamb, rosemary roasted potatoes and roasted asparagus, plus a salad to start. Count the calories in this. You will not find many. But then of course the wine and the Crème Brule - that is another story.
    We are invited to go to RI today to visit friends at their open house, but with the snow and the warning of more to come - we will stay at home. I do feel bad. I know, how much it takes to plan a party and how frustrating it is, when guests don't show up. (Of course, I will call them and let them know). We would have gone, if it was just around here, but 1-1/2 hours drive in bad weather is no fun.
    Hope you got to Borders yesterday to pick up the books you wanted. I got several for Christmas and will curl up on the couch today.
    Yeah! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, what a delicious, super duper special spread!!  My mouth is just watering.

I went all out for Christmas dinner with not even a hint, a whiff, or a suggestion of calorie consciousness.  It WAS fun, and no one complained!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Beautiful picture out my backyard this morning - many colored birds at and underneath the feeder, but, also a few who prefer to balance themselves on swaying dried ornamental grasses, plucking off the tassles that have gone to seed.  I sent Christmas cards with just such a picture years ago - thinking it the most beautiful sight - and now here it is for real - a nice winter gift - just for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"One of our vendors gave me a generous gift card to Borders and I want to duck in and pick up two books."

I'm probably too late to again post my strongest recommendation for buying Barbara Kingsolver's latest book, "The Lacuna", but I seem to remember you also being a fan of hers.  It is by far her best work yet.  I'm now 3/4's the way through it, enjoying this second half even more than the first, and slowing my reading down to a snail's pace because I don't want it to end!  When I turn the last page (507), I think I'll start from page one again.  Hope at some point you will give it your consideration.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Hi all
    We went looking for French Press coffee makers this morning and could not find any in the stores we went to that were only 2-3 cup makers, all 8 cuppers. I did find on line a very reasonable price one, made by Bodum.   I think that was the name..Have any of you heard of that? It said it was usually $30 on sale for $15.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Ken -

Happy New Year.  My french press pots are made by Melior, but I received a lovely red Bodum press for Christmas.  Haven't tried it yet but it looks just like my Meliors.  I was going to suggest you look online.  I got my little 2-3 cupper from Amazon.

mothermitzi 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Per your suggestion, I'm on the waiting list for her book at the library.  When I checked in last week, the librarian said I was next in line.  I'm looking for one book in particular and because of the large amount on this gift card, I have the unexpected pleasure of browsing and picking up a couple more.  Nothing like a random act of kindness to warm the heart, and I was bowled over by this gift.   

Decided to stay in today.  I have enough food and I just didn't feel like going out. It's a nice feeling to stay warm and toasty inside catching up on reading and some tv.  Hope you continue to be pain free.  Enjoy the rest of the day. 

mothermitzi 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bodum is a decent brand and that's a good price, Ken.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Ken,

Is that you in the picture?  Nice.
    My press is a Bodum.  $15 is a good price.  My Bodum has a seal that says Bodum is the original press.

Happy New Year to you and Mrs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Taking ornaments off tree to alleviate boredom.  That I can do one-handed.
    Had a note in the mail today from a long ago acquaintance, the wife of my husband's Sargeant when we were stationed in El Paso.  We keep in touch sporadically, and altho it was not happy news but that of failing health, I was still so glad to hear from her.  An hour later got a call from a friend I had not touched base with in a while. - New Year's does bring to mind those who have played some part in our lives - no matter how small. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ken, be SURE you use a grind for a French Press.  It's a lot coarser than for an auto-drip, and there are a few very good, if I may say so, reasons:

• The filter will let the very fine coffee in a regular grind through making the coffee have a lot of, for lack of a better word, silt.
    • YOU CAN GET BURNED if the filter gets clogged with fine coffee and you keep pressing.  It can explode.  Before anyone tells me that's a myth, it happened to me and I got sprayed as if I were standing over a volcano.
    • The coffee will be too strong tasting if you use an auto-drip grind.

I'm sure there are people who use the regular auto-drip grind and life goes on and they get coffee out of it, but it truly can be so much better with a size grind that is meant for the press...and safer. 

You can get your coffee ground at the grocery store with the grinder on the coarsest setting.

P.S.  Don't drink the last mouthful of coffee from a press.  No matter how coarse the grind you'll get a mouthful of yucky silt that settles during your cuppa.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

I'm leaving my decorations up for a few more days.  This is the time I enjoy them most, after the holidays are over and I'm at home more.  I did take Santa out of the attic window and my Santa face off the garage today. 

I know what you mean about receiving news.  It can be bittersweet.  The older we get, more often than not, the news is not so good! As today wore on, I switched to tea and am halfway through a milk chocolate orange from Trader Joe's that appeared in my Christmas stocking.  I've never had one before and I love it.  The orange flavor is subtle and the sections peel away easily, just like a real orange.  I also received a box of assorted chocolates and a lovely box of chocolate truffles.  They will remain unopened and go to the office on Monday. I've done enough damage already!

I just heard the plow go by.  The guys next door have already shoveled the walk once today.  I spied a pink snowsuit holding a small shovel - all bundled up - no face visible.  So cute!  She came in for hot chocolate and a couple of cookies. Her dads stayed out to do the hard part!  

mothermitzi   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ken, you're just as cute as when you were a boy if your wife doesn't mind me saying so. :)

...it's the smile!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"I just heard the plow go by.  The guys next door have already shoveled the walk once today.  I spied a pink snowsuit holding a small shovel - all bundled up - no face visible.  So cute!  She came in for hot chocolate and a couple of cookies. Her dads stayed out to do the hard part!" 

Where's the "little guy"?  How is she taking to her new brother?

No plows here - hate this in between amount of snow - evidently there isn't 3" out there?  Sure is on my back walk.  Hope by tomorrow a.m. there is enough for my guys to come.  Hate to have to call my son to come again from a neighboring town. Prior to Tuesday I would have pushed a shovel enough to clear walks and clear car.  Want to be able to get out Monday to get a smaller bandage on that will hopefully enable me to do more.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

KAR...you are much to kind, but thank you...and the wife doesn't mind

And thank you all for your comments on the French Press

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

She's better about having him around.  After the excitement of the overseas trip and adoption process, I think she became jealous and acted out some.  All very normal of course.  We paid some extra attention to her along the way like shopping for the dress and breakfast out with my father.  She just adores him and he's so good with her.  At her school's family holiday party, she was able to show him off and got a lot of positive reinforcement which helped.  Right now, one of the guy's sisters is here with her husband and family for the weekend, so they were watching the baby while the shoveling took place.  On New Year's Eve, the baby was here and slept like a lamb clear through midnight.  I took a great photo of my father holding him in the easy chair - the oldest and the youngest in attendance.  A few years ago I thought of selling my house and downsizing. I'm so grateful I didn't.  I would have missed out on all this.  I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.  Sounds corny, but I believe it.  I now realize the positive benefits of being in a neighborhood for a long time.

Well, I just poured a bit of eggnog and added a tablespoon of brandy - my dessert for tonight!

mothermitzi  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

HI Ken -

Kar is correct.  Staying active has kept you looking good!  Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

mothermitzi

Sections
Shortcuts