2010 January Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: 2010 January Chat

tt, I didn't remember that TT talk at all. I thought like you mentioned - swollen like the pie crust - deflate it to let the air out. But when icer mentioned it, of course I remembered it. That was such a long time ago it seems.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, you missed a good segment on Sunday Morning, actor Stanley -----(?).  He played Julia's husband in Julie and Julia and the asst in The Devil Wore Prada.  I love him.  Now he's taken a completely opposite role in The Lovely Bones.  I had seen clips of the movie and didn't even know it was him, he had to change his appearance so for that movie.

Let me know about this watering method.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    I want to share with you a terrific chicken breast dinner, I made last night. Quick and simple to boot.
    I saw the recipe on the back of a Knorr Onion Dip/Soup pouch, but of course I  "doctored" it a bit to suit our taste buds.
    Mix the content in the pouch with a cup of bread crumbs - set aside. I like to use fresh bread crumbs, so I tore up 3 slices of white - crust cut off - bread, placed it in my mini prep, added the onion dip mix plus 1/4 teasp. crushed red pepper and gave it a good whirl.
    Place your chicken breasts in an lightly oiled or sprayed dish, cover the chicken with a very light layer of mayonnaise, then with a layer of your crumbs.  I placed a couple of very thin pats of butter (use your vegetable peeler) on the top and baked it at 425 degrees for about 20 - 25 minutes. Couldn't be easier and the chicken was very moist and flavorful.
    While the chicken was in the oven, I prepared asparagus and lined them up on a foil covered rimmed cookie sheet, brushed them with a bit of olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper and put them in with the chicken 10 minutes before the chicken was done.
    Now, usually chicken breasts comes in a package of 3 (something I have always found odd), so I made all three of them last night. Today at lunch I will slice the one I saved and place it on top of Romaine lettuce and serve it with my mock Cesar Salad Dressing: 3 Tbs. mayonnaise, 1 Tbs. lemon juice, 1 teasp. anchovy paste and 1 large clove of garlic pressed or minced. Mix well and add a bit of milk to get the dressing consistency you like.
    I had crumb mixture left over. Stored in the refrigerator, I am planning to try mine on salmon filets or maybe pork chops. The salad dressing store well for a week or so in the ref. as well. It will thicken - just thin it with milk again.
    Bon Appetite - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, that sounds mouthwatering!  Did you shake the chicken in the crumbs or sprinkle?  If you wanted even less fat, you could use plain, non-fat yogurt instead of mayo.  I LOVE the veggie peeler idea for the butter.  So hard to get a thin slice otherwise, and that would give you a nice long, thin ribbon.  I shall do that from now on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, it WAS really, really good. No, I did not shake the chicken, I spread on the mayo - then the crumbs.
    I am not sure yoghurt would work here. You need a bit of the oily thing to keep the chicken moist. But you know, there is nothing wrong with using mayo. I know people get scared of the word "mayonnaise". But it is not the mayo itself there is a problem, it is the amount we use. Besides you can use any kind of mayo in this case. Light, fat free etc. However, I prefer to use the "real" thing - or I would rather not use any at all. I just use less. 1 teasp. instead of 1 TBS f. ex.
    I talked to my doc about it once. According to him, most of these make believe substitutes are not good for us at all. Too many chemicals, too many unknown factors.
    I believe, as long as one does not over indulge, a little of everything is fine.
    Remember how we could not eat eggs for a long while? And then they found people were getting cataracts right and left, because they did not get enough Lutein, one of the nutrition found in abundant in egg yolks. I am not advocating steak and 2 - 3 fried eggs every morning, like some people used to do a while back. But one or two eggs a week is not going to jeopardise your cholesterol.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

I couldn't agree with you more.  Many products that are low-fat contain more salt and sugar to make them palatable.  Everything in moderation, as my mother used to say!

mothermitzi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, no worries about a little mayo.  Just a suggestion. 

And, as an aside, non-fat plain flavors are healthy.  Low fat, sugar-added varieties not so much.  Fat free half and half is the biggest joke for "healthy" alternatives on the planet, as an example of mm's comment!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Talking about what companies use for added flavor -
    I usually make a bowl of Quaker 1 minute oatmeal each morning.  Last week S&S was giving a free box of flavor variety instant Quaker oatmeal.  I picked one up to add a little variety.  Because I've been having a problem with water retention, I checked the back of the box for sodium content - Each l serving packet contains between 170 - 260 mg depending on the flavor.  The 1 minute plain oatmeal contains none.  Why should it be necessary to add sodium to oatmeal that already has flavor additives when the plain has none and is delicious served with cut up fresh blueberries or strawberries?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

You are so right tt. And so is mm and her mother. All those new low fat or non fat varieties are just money making business for the big companies.
    tt I know, you don't have a microwave, but from all the instant oatmeal varieties I have tried - I still like my own home made version made from just natural oats the best. I add my own flavorings (OJ, raisins or other cut up dried fruits, cinnamom etc.) and zap it for 5 minutes on medium. And it just cost pennies to make. Yummy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, indeed!  We just switched from maple flavored to plain.  I just add a Tbl of maple syrup, and it's sodium free and 1/2 the sugar.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Dried cranberries are wonderful in oatmeal!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GypsySix. Show GypsySix's posts

I am trying pingo's mayo and crumb chicken with asparagus tonight. I prepared it last night, sitting in the fridge just waiting to be put in the oven when I'm done with work and the gym tonight. Also making a quick homemade mac and cheese to go with it for my startch. Looking forward to it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Question:  I'm always amazed when I check the back of raisin or cranraisin packages and see the amount of sugar.  Is it true that the natural sugars in fruits are not as bad for you as the processed sugars added to foods?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I understand your concern. I know grapes are for sure not good for diabetics. Raisins are dried grapes. But they are all fruit - no sugar added. However cranberries are tart, and I am sure there is a lot sugar added to have them taste sweet. I love them and they are great for non-diabetics. I just can't eat them.
    I believe, it is a lot better to add dried fruit to my oatmeal, than just adding pure sugar. At least you get some fiber. A nutritionist once told me, that if there are fibers involved, the  carbohydrate content only counts 50% (I am not exactly sure about the percentage, but I know it was in that range. Could go and check it, if you want me to).
    I add dried fruit (raisins, chopped dates, cut up apricots and prunes - just a Tbs. or so) to my oatmeal for sweetness, and I have no problem with my blood sugar. I believe it is better for my health to eat the oatmeal w/ some dried fruit, than forego it all together. I gag if I have to eat it plain.
    We are all different. What works for me, may not work for you.
    The instant oatmeal that was mentioned earlier, I stay away from. I know, they are convenient to use, but taste wise they are much, much too sweet for me. My saliva gland pucker up. LOL

ETA: tt, you got me going on this. So, I just went to check my pantry. Diabetics should stay below 25 grams of carbohydrates. Raisins have 29 grams in 1/4 cup, TJ's cranberries 23 grams (quite a surprise to me). But using only 1 Tbs. in my oatmeal, I am doing well. No need to worry for you or for me. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You have to watch fructose as well as sucrose or any other -ose.  They all break down to the same components.  The sugar itself is essentially the same, but usually with refined white sugar you are not eating something with fiber and vitamins so it's "worse."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Gypsy, I hope you will let me know, how you liked it. Only one concern I have. If you added the crumbs before you stuck them in the ref., they may go soft on you. I would have waited and added them just before I stuck them in the oven. Hope yours turn out as good as mine. - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Wow, we have ALL been busy this month. This thread has already 9 pages. Do we start a January 2010 part 2 when we get to 10?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Why the distaste for the pages, icer?  If it bothers you, you don't have to read everything.  Hit the Last button and join in whatever part of the month's chat you land on.

Would you prefer we sensor the chat so as to keep the number of pages down?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Nasty tone there, Kargiver.  Don't jump on Icer for merely making the same observation that I was thinking.  Icer is a long time cherished contributor to these Chat pages.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm irritated, I'll admit it.  She complains every month about how long the threads are, and I actually feel bad about posting for a week after she brings it up, and I'm tired of feeling bad for posting and making the thread too long.

P.S.  It's not actually just a week after.  I consider her comments about the length of the thread every time I post and wonder if what I have to say is important enough.  I generally conclude that it probably isn't but add, anyway.  Now, I'll think about it all the more and probably post less.  Maybe that's for the greater good, I don't know.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer is perfectly capable of speaking for herself, and will probably tell me so, but her "observation" not "complaint" is correct.  For years the monthly threads never went above 10 pages (an "observation").  This new 2010 thread has more of us chatting about more subjects and it is amazing that already we have filled 10 pages with our daily "chats".

I suggest you take a re-look at your reaction to what are merely conversation remarks by Icer (and would have been from me if she had not posted it first).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In isolation this comment is certainly innocuous enough.  My reaction is based on many comments and a conclusion I've drawn from months of the same.  That either our comments aren't important enough to bother posting or there are too many people.  It makes me feel bad for joining and posting.

I like icer.  I don't like being made to feel bad for posting, and that's how her comments make me feel every month.

For any "nastiness" in my response, I apologize to icer and all.  It's just that after months of wondering if I'm welcome or if what I contribute is worth making the pages longer, I blew up at the latest comment against it being too long. Not excusing my tone, but that's what happened.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Now now ladies....let's not get upset with each other over something so small as the number of pages in a thread. When I read Icer's comment I just took it as an observation, not a criticism. Actually my thought was, "the ladies are kind of chatty this month" and smiled as I thought it. I think I was surprised at the number of pages also. But that is no reason for anyone to have second thoughts about making a post or not. I have not posted as often because much of the conversation has been on movies, or TV or cooking.....not my interests, but that's OK. I don't think anyone should hesitate about making a post, least of all, feel bad about making one. No, Kar, this is not a criticism of you either. PLEASE>  those of you who know me from the past know me to be the eternal PEACE-MAKER. Can't we all  just get along.
    Remember that song from the 60's I think it was."All we need is love"
    God bless you all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer's comments aren't directed "Kargiver - - - -", that's what I mean by relooking at your reaction.  Why are you taking it personally?  We all feel sometimes that we are monopolizing the boards, especially during a few day period when our posts seem to outnumber others'.  I've posted that thought about my own posting a couple of times.  However, altho I may slow it  down a little for a little while, I keep right on posting, because I enjoy it.  I suggest you continue posting as long as you enjoy the give and take of others.  All (well, almost all except that one we've reported) are welcomed on these pages.

Yikes!  I just realize I got so carried away, I'm typing with both hands!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If we can't voice frustration or irritation to one another, what kind of friends are we?

I apologized for my tone, but am I to apologize, as well, for bringing up something that's been hurting my feelings since I got here?