2010 January Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: 2010 January Chat

Some poor souls are just humorless.  Glad you got two laughs for one!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Funny story tt. A good sense of humor will get you far in life.  That, and common sense.  Sadly, both seem to be lacking in many these days.  Snow looks heavy.  I can see a layer of water on the bottom of the accumulation on my deck railing.  I started to do my steps and front walk and my neighbors appeared and whisked through my driveway and the rest of the walk.  I thought the exercise would do me good but didn't get the chance!  Believe me, I'm not complaining.

I discovered a leak in one of my back bedrooms last night.  Not  an emergency - just a slow drip coming from above one of the windows.  It is probably a siding issue and I have a call in to a roofer who is a vendor at work.  This person also replaced my windows a few years back. I don't want it to get worse.

Can't decide what to make for supper.  I don't plan to go out, so I'll be rummaging through the fridge and cabinets.

mothermitzi  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

How about some potato pancakes with sour cream?  That's what I'm having, compliments of T.J.  I always grate and make my own, but since I'm not grating yet, picked some up at T.J.'s Sat.  What I'm craving is an apple pie (probably all my reference to my "apple pie crust hand"!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt,
    I got a good laugh too. I did that once myself, but I think mine was worse. Mr. P and I was talking on the phone and got cut off. So I called him back. We were actually done with our conversation, which always end with a, "Love you!" So, as soon as I heard someone breathing at the other end, I blurted out, "I just wanted to tell you that I love you." Then I heard a voice, which was not Mr. P's, "Thank you! That is nice." I could have "died" right there and then. I did recover, apologized and had a chance to explained my mistake to the gentleman - and we both had a good laugh.
    Coming back to the humorless person - maybe it is because of all those campaign calls. We had our share for the past 3 days. I just can't stand to pick up another one.
    Mr. P is out shoveling, while I was inside doing my "shoveling". Mopping my floors.
    Sorry tt, you got snowed in today. When is the next big day?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Potato pancakes are appealing but I don't have any potatoes in the house. I froze some of the pea soup I made awhile back and I'll have that with a salad.  A  friend went to Lyndell's yesterday and dropped off some raspberry rugalah.  I'm steadily making my way through it with a couple of cuppas!

mothermitzi   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What is rugalah?  I just ate my way through about a pint of Brigham's Irish Coffee ice cream, watching Y&R!  Posted more on today's episode on the TV thread.

Ah yes, Pingo, those campaign calls - Barack himself phoned, as did Joe Biden, and Bill Clinton!  Please, they're swaying me away from Martha, not towards.

Cute call you had tho.

Stitches come out Weds now.  He operates on Tuesday's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, I looked up rugelah and found this photo and recipe.  I love those - never knew the name.  Yummy!

Rugelach

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, my mother used to use up her piecrust scraps in that fashion, sometimes with just cinnamon and sugar and other times with jam.  I love AllRecipes.com, go there a lot when I'm looking for simple recipes, and have got a lot of mine from there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I'm used to the cinnamon variety, although I've had raspberry and blueberry, too.
    The recipe doesn't look hard kar. After the holidays, my baking will be limited for awhile!

mothermitzi

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Well, I can vouch for the potato pancakes from T.J.'s.  Not as good as homemade, but a nice addition to keep in freezer.  I baked mine, rather than pan fry because I didn't want to smell up the house with frying odors. Now, however, I have half a pint of sour cream to use up.  Easy if I was baking - and - I suppose there's no reason I can't whip up a sour cream coffee cake tomorrow.  3 weeks have gone by, I doubt there's much harm I can do to old pie top, as I've fondly come to think of it!

Did the window guy come to check out your leak today, Mothermitzi, or probably not with the weather being so bad.  I was surprised when I opened the back door to talk with the guy shoveling my walk, just how biting cold it was.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Yesterday while posting I saw a fire truck and ambulance go down a street across from me.  Figured it was some older person who had developed chest pains while shoveling.  Ambulance went off without sirens, so I figured all was well.  Now today we're getting light snow again and again the fire apparatus and ambulance have gone down the same street.  Reminder to all of us over 65 to get some younger person to do the moving of this beautiful to look at, but deadly to lift, white stuff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

No, the guy hasn't come yet.  I expect him tomorrow and will probably work at home.  I hope it's not too involved.  I am planning on sprucing up the upstairs bedrooms anyway, so this is a good time to make any necessary repairs.  From the look of things, I will have some shoveling when I get home tonight, although I don't think this will accumulate - famous last words.

mothermitzi 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Anyone else having trouble getting into the threads today?  I'm having to resort to getting into my profile and then back tracking from there.  Perhaps there is increased volume on the various threads because of the election here in MA today?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm having trouble, too, but I find hitting Forums works for me.  Threads are very slow and sometimes time out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar and tt,
    I am having a hard time too, but I found, if I hold down the "click button" extra long, until I see a small arrow - and then let go, I will get on. Of course it may not be the same on your computers, but it works for me. I am sure the internet is overloaded today.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I'm thinking the site might be bogged down with people looking for election updates.  No matter who wins, that's nice to see!Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good luck today tt! Hope your cousin will be able to take you to your doc's appointment.
    I haven't been out yet on the roadways, but I was yesterday - and it was certainly no picnic. Not only did I wanted to vote, but I also needed to go to Staples for some more tax forms and on my way out of the store, I got caught in heavy rain. I was totally soaked.
    Of course even as soaked as I was, I just had to stop at TJ's.  The tiny Daffodils, Crocus and mini Irises were on the table as soon as you enter. I couldn't help myself picking up a couple of Daffodils. How much enjoyment can you get these days for $2.29. Even though it is cold and snowy outside, Spring has sprung in my home. Now I just have to get rid of the last few Poinsettias. Even though the ones I bought at Costco are still looking great, they somehow do not match with Spring. I gathered them all in my entrance way, but I know they will go one by one.
    I also picked up a pack of Potato Pancakes on your recommendation. I have half a jar of apple sauce and half a pint of sour cream to use up. I love Potato Pancakes, but never made them myself. Good thing I guess. I tried Costco's, but didn't like them at all. Maybe b/c I fried them --- too oily. I will bake them this time.
    Hopefully you can come back from your doc with good news, that that "old Pie Crust" is doing well. - P

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hello,
    Stitches are out and I've the OK to do everything except iron.  Just took the car for a run up to Costco and it said, "thank you" - it's been sitting in the driveway for 3 weeks!  Looking forward to putting hand (no longer the "pie crust") in some warm water and massaging some handcream in it.

Passed on the puzzles I had done to my friend who took me today.  Had lunch at the Mt. Vernon - beef stroganoff -  just ok.  Boards seem quiet today.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, glad to hear everything is well and good with your hand. Now that you are allowed to use it more, I am sure the blood circulation will be better and the swelling go down. Not being able to iron is not the worst in the world.
    I am sure, you must have felt great to be on your own wheels today. It is such a pain to be dependent of others. - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

tt - glad you got your stitches out - hope the hand is feeling much better. 

Nice to have a day without snow today!  I still am not a fan of winter, one day I will finally make the move to somewhere warm!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Princess.  I heard today is the day to be out - supposed to be really warm for this time of year.  May take a run over to Macy's - I've a Christmas gift card to use.

Haven't spoken to my friend yet this morning, we both got the beef stroganoff yesterday, and boy, it didn't agree with me - I was in bed before 8:00, sick to my stomach.  Sipped a can of ginger ale and then laid down for a restless night.  Feel fine this morning, but I am anxious to talk with her and see how she made out.  It was one of their specials, and I always figure you are safe with a restaurant's special - maybe not - maybe they're trying to get rid of it!

Pingo, as far as the potato pancakes being greasy - when I fry mine, I drain them on paper towels, patting each side.  The homemade are much tastier, but hope you enjoy T.J.'s.  I had 4 the other night and so have 4 left in the freezer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

I'm thinking this may be a good weekend for osso bucco and a lemon meringue
    pie. I prefer veal shanks but will use lamb.  Veal shanks are hard to find.  I haven't made this dish since last winter.  I think I ended up with lamb shanks from Whole Foods, a store I do not usually shop in because it's just too expensive.  I have an excellent fishmonger and poultry store in my neighborhood but no butcher. Guess that's a thing of the past. Any of you know of a butcher out your way on Route One? 

Anyway, I've been craving lemon meringue pie for awhile, so why not?  Besides, I have plenty of places to send the leftovers to.  Went to see 'Avatar' this week in 3D.  Really enjoyed it. This morning, I saw a hawk circling in the sky. Probably the same hawk that used to nest in my pine.  Wonder where they went because I have the tallest tree around.  I thought they may return after the tree was trimmed, but it's been over a year now. Anyway, that was a reminder to me to keep my bird feeder in the garage. Haven't seen any crows since last fall. 

mothermitzi  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hi MM, it is funny you mention the hawks, I stopped filling our feeder because of the Hawks in our neighborhood, but I haven't seen them so I have been feeding and watering the birds. I just might start a bird thread, cause some things work and some of the things don't work here but might work elsewhere.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Icer, please do start a bird thread.  I'm sure there are more than you, me and Mothermitzi who would join in.  Hawks were on my mind yesterday too.  Noticed there weren't a whole lot of birds at the feeder after refilling it yesterday, and I searched the sky to see if there was anything circling.

Read your note about your half sister visiting.  How long since you had seen her?  Were you able to stop work to visit?

I'll go back to the soap thread before I go out and post a line or two about what happened yesterday.  See what happens today, if you can.  Going out to lunch with a couple of co-workers and my old boss - we get together every couple of months.  Always fun to see what's going on in each other's lives.  One of the girls was in Germany the first of December to some fairs.  Curious to hear all about that and what she brought back. Talk later.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Any of you know of a butcher out your way on Route One? 

There's the Hilltop Restaurant which I'm sure you know has a "butchery" in back.  I don't know if they cut to order, or even if you can call and ask about veal shanks.

Looked in the phone book for you, because I know there is also The Butchery in Danvers and another place McKinnon's - I think Topsfield way.  Seems a long way to go from Boston for a cut of meat, but it either might be worth a stop by some day when you are out with your Dad.

Sections
Shortcuts