2010 January Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Re: 2010 January Chat

I will start a bird thread , although I have been gathering info, I do like to check things out myself before passing on info. I hate to give bad information

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You wouldn't be giving bad information, Icer, just passing along some tips you read, at least that's the way I look at it.  I'll watch for the bird thread.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Good Morning tt -

Thanks for the suggestions.  Stupid me never thought of the Hilltop, and there is a McKinnon's in Everett, too, which is closer for me than Danvers.  I called both places and they have veal shanks.  Time to dust off the Dutch oven.

Intended to watch Project Runway last night and fell asleep.  I had the tivo set, just in case. Had the roofer here yesterday.  He thinks the problem is with the siding.  The outside moulding around the window has a crack in it, probably caused by a piece of ice falling off the roof.  Shouldn't be a difficult or expensive repair.  That was good news.

Must be so nice to have your hand free again and be able to drive. That was quite an ordeal.  Enjoy your lunch out with the girls. I've always wanted to take a trip to the Christmas markets.  I went to some during Easter when I was in Germany and the Czech Republic. Picked up the most beautiful hand painted eggs. My aunt used to go to one in Germany when she lived there and sent me some beautiful ornaments over the years.    

mothermitzi

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mothermitzy,
    Osso buco sounds lovely at this time of the year. I have been quite lucky to find veal shanks at my local S&S. Not at their general meat counter, but at their "special cuts" counter.
    My local Shaws is even better. I made sure to make friends with the butcher there. If I tell him in advance, what I want, he will usually get for me. The latest was pork hogs for pea soup. Just not available at the time, I wanted them. They had the smoked ones, but I wanted the fresh ones. Several days later, when I went shopping there, he came chasing me down the isles. "I have your hogs." Surely, I bought the 6, he had saved for me. Used half and froze the other half.
    I have been to the Hilltop butchery a few times. Lately not the greatest experience, let me tell you. Always too busy, always such a long wait, if you want something cut to your specifications. Sometimes they won't even do it. Their meat it good, but one can find meat as good or better somewhere else. Go 15 - 20 years back, and it was the place to go for a great cut of meat. After Frank sold the place (later came back, now died), lots have changed. Now Hilltop is just a "word" - not close to what it once was. We don't even eat there any longer. We know one of the waitresses, who used to work for Frank. She won't eat at the place any more. Their lines, which once would fill up their porch is no longer there. Should tell you something.
    Glad to hear your "water dripping" is not a major repair. Could have been an expensive deal. Your contractor is a gem. He could have made a nice penny for himself w/o you knowing it.
    Have a great day. Looks like it is going to be a nice one - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

I'm going to McKinnon's in Everett.  I ordered six veal shanks @ $2.99 per pound. The price is much better than the $7.99 per pound I paid for lamb shanks at Whole Foods last year. Besides, I prefer veal shanks. The market was out but expecting a delivery later today.  I can pick them up tomorrow morning.  The S&S and Shaw's near my house never have them, and I got tired of asking. I eat so little red meat that I almost never have to deal with a butcher.  My New Year's Eve tenderloin came from Savenor's, and I paid a pretty penny, but it was delicious.  I don't mind splurging for a holiday.      

The last time my father and I went to Hilltop, it just was not good at all.  The waitress put a bowl of brown wilted iceburg lettuce in front of us and my steak had a muscle running through the middle.  It was not sirloin.  We always had excellent service there.  Some of the waitresses have been there for years and they were pros.  That was not the case last time, and I'm not inclined to go back.  I remember driving by and seeing the lines, too.  Why restaurant owners cut corners is beyond me.  I don't mind paying a little extra for quality, but I resent having to pay for food that is just plain bad. We won't go back.

I'm lucky to have access to honest tradespeople. We do business with most of them and they've treated me well. My boss doesn't tolerate any nonsense.

mothermitzi   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got back from a nice lunch at the Danversport Yacht Club.  They don't rush you there, so nice to start with a leisurely chat over a glass of Chardonnay.   Delicious lunch, Mediterranean Pasta, but way too big a portion for a luncheon choice.  Ended up bringing it home even tho I didn't really want to, and of course, getting out of my friend's car and attempting to also carry in my recycling bin, spilled the juice from it (very garlicy) all over my coat!  Knew I should have left it there.

Glad to hear your leak problem is the result of an easy fix problem, Mothermitzi.  Glad to help you out with the name, McKinnon's.  Now you've got me wondering what I'll buy for this week-end.  Apple pie longing has passed.  Lemon, does sound good, tho mine will be store bought if I succumb.

I'm with all of you on the Hilltop, never go there to eat.  Just isn't good any more.

Christmas fairs my friend went to in Germany, sounded great - 4 different cities, I think, the way she explained it.  Didn't buy much except some kind of luminescent candle holders, oh, and some beautiful earrings she was wearing.

I've sponged my coat, so will go out and take a "sniff" and see if it still reeks of garlic.  Chat over the week-end with all of you hopefully - oh, Icer, any report on the Y&R thread?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good Sunday morning,

Question of what to cook for Sunday dinner took care of itself when I went to the S&S yesterday, they had some good looking bottom roasts on sale for pot roast.  Am cooking it in the crockpot for the first time because my favored way on top of the stove in a large covered skillet, involves too much 15 minute turning for either hand just now.  Just put carrots, potatoes, onions, salt and peppered roast, and some Wolfgang Puck's beef broth in and turned it on high.  According to booklet that came with crockpot, should be done in 6 hours.  I think I'm about 2-3 weeks behind the rest of you with a pot roast, but it sounds good to me.  Did end up with apple turnovers, so guess there's still an apple longing hanging around.

One of my sons has picked up some hubcaps to replace the ones stolen off my car, and probably will be by today to put them on.  My little car, even tho it's 12 years old was a nice looking model and I'll be glad to have these finishing touches back on so it doesn't look like some old junk that I feel like it does without the caps.

Mothermitzi, I purely by accident, caught part 2 of the Masterpiece Theater show.  Sad, but with a happy ending.  Not sure I'll enjoy "Emma" as much.

Mmmm, I can start to smell the roast already -

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just love the smell of pot roast.mmmmmmm

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning tt,
    Hope your pot roast turns out well. Your home must smell divine right now. I know the recipes call for putting the potatoes in with the rest of the veggies, underneath the roast. I prefer to cook the potatoes later on on the side. I don't like the way they come out in the crockpot. They will be done, but little hard IMO. I like to be able to mash them up a bit with the oh so good gravy. Not too time consuming to cook a couple of potatoes.
    How did you do with your hand peeling all those veggies? Has the swelling gone down?
    Going on a ride to a job site in RI with Mr. P this morning. Looks nice out today. Just want to get back before the rain starts. I guess we are to expect heavy rain tonight.
    Have a nice day - enjoy your roast - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Didn't peel the veggies, Pingo.  Onion was already cut, and I just washed the organic carrots, scrubbed the potatoes, and cut both in chunks.

Enjoy your ride, does look nice out right now.

Watching Sunday Morning, Icer, but not much on it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hello Tt, I did like the microwave segment. I thought it was interesting how large and costly they were at first.

I also liked the story about Embarrass and the gent who wanted to measure the coldest temp but his thermometer only went down to negative 53. What a heartbreaker

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Missed the microwave segment.  I have a really big, old relic in the cellar that belonged to G.T. many moons ago.  I've never  used it, except once when they were all here and an extra large casserole I had made wasn't done when I took it out - G.T. took  it down cellar and finished it in the microwave!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am not surprised you missed it. It was quick.
    I liked your story of GT, It must be so nice to have him in your life. Now all we have to do is get him to move closer to you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good Sunday Morning everyone.  Looks like we have a lot of rain coming.  I will be glad to see the snow melt away.

No big plans today.  DH and I may go out for lunch, just trying to decide where.  We do like the Emerald Rose in Billerica, so we may end up there.  Who knows. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Did you get out to lunch, Princess?

I just had the pot roast from my crockpot - what a good piece of meat.  I was surprised too, that there was a lot less shrinkage than when I cook it on top of the stove.  Thickened the juices and got a decent gravy out of it for the meat and veggies too.  Never have a big meal in the middle of the afternoon, but I sliced the roast thin and couldn't stop eating it (and slipping a bit or two to Cheerio!).

Filled the feeder again, so now me, Cheerio and the birds are ready for the rain.  There's a chickadee whose nest must be in one of the nearby shrubs - every time I go out he starts giving his call, letting everyone know more seed is coming!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Happy Sunday Everybody -

The osso bucco turned out well.  I sent some next door and over to my father. Kept enough for another meal for myself.  In the past, I served it with polenta or couscous.  This time, I made grits and it worked well with the sauce from the osso bucco.  Made a nice green salad with roasted beets. I didn't make the pie, so that craving was left unsatisfied. Somebody gave my father a box of chocolate covered cherries from Harry & David, and he sent it home with me.  I've been working my way through it all weekend.  Went to the gym today and got on the dreaded treadmill for awhile.

tt, was your friend bothered by the stroganoff, too? I find their food hit or miss, with the exception of their Friday night special.  At their Somerville location, they offer a complete dinner - baked or broiled scallops for two for $21.99.  My father and I go on Friday sometimes and it's always good.  However, that's all I ever order there and Friday is the only time I'll go.    

Back to the grind tomorrow!

mothermitzi    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Yes tt, we went to the Emerald Rose.  It was good as always.  If you're ever in the area, I'd recommend it.  It's an Irish Pub theme, and is owned by the same owners as the Escadrille in Burlington.

Our bird feeders have been so busy, as well as the bird house we have.  The birds just love to to taunt the dogs, it's pretty funny.  They fly out of the bird house to the lattice in our deck, right by the dogs!  I swear I hear them laughing at them!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know where Billerica is, Princess!  I hardly ever go Burlington way, if it's in that region, tho my former co-workers and I meet at the Escadrille occasionally.  Usually go towards Danvers, Peabody, Gloucester.  An Irish pub, I'm sure I would like.  After the Flower Show that used to be held around St. Pat's Day, we'd go to one right across from Maggiore's, or some such Italian restaurant in Boston.  I would usually get the boiled dinner, sometimes the beer fried fish plate.

I don't have any more birdhouses left up.  Had one for years that my son had made - had a hook and hinge top that you could lift to give it a cleaning at season's end so the birds wouldn't be infested.  Eventually the weather took its' toll and I never could talk my son into making another.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Any leaks with all this rain, Mothermitzi?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

Got home late tonight and the towel I put on the windowsill is wet.  There is also some staining on the wall above the window. It rained really hard today, so I'm not surprised.  The contractor is coming tomorrow to make the repairs.  When I get back from Florida and Louisiana, I'm going to redecorate the bedrooms anyway.  

I had a pork chop tonight with beets and asparagus.  Tasted good.  Leftovers tomorrow night. I got soaking wet on the way home.  My umbrella was useless in Copley Square.  I finally just closed it before it turned inside out and broke. The wind was something.  At least most of the snow is gone. January hasn't been too bad this year.

mothermitzi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It seems to have quieted down here, both rain and wind.  Glad I didn't have to be out in it.

Is anyone else having problems with "blocked" calls or telemarketing company (Production Mark) calls from Beverly?  If I answer the call, there is noone there, if I don't and allow it to go on my answering machine I get a recorded message from Verizon, "I'm sorry your call cannot be connected as dialed  - - - -on and on".  Just got off the phone with Verizon who tell me it is a disconnected number from Verizon, in fact 2 different numbers that they use have been disconnected from Verizon, but obviously using some other phone service.  Hitting the redial button disconnects also.  Either way, annoying as h*ll.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Yes, sounds quite annoying and very strange.  I wonder why Verizon can't do something about it? That would drive me nuts.  Even though I signed up for the no call registry, I still get them in waves.  A couple of weeks ago, I got three calls and the caller id said "survey" something or other.  I let it go to message and the call disconnected. Finally, I answered and said, "Put me on your no call list."  That worked, and I've done it in the past.  How can somebody be calling from a disconnected number?  Crazy.

mothermitzi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ran out to renew a CD, that rate was a shocker, and poked a bit in Marshall's.  Picked up the sweetest Irish Colleen soft stuffed doll, in an organdy dress with green shamrocks, and of course red hair tied with a green ribbon.  So cute.  She even has little shoes with shamrock decorations.  They had moved parts of the store all around, in expectation of some large shipment coming in, I presume. Felt good to be out in the fresh air, I've been in way too much.  Plan to get some cleaning done around the house today.  The skin around my incision has peeled and is a tender still, but rubber gloves should take care of that with the cleaning detergent.  Going for a cholesterol fasting blood check tomorrow.  Lord help me, I've been eating stuff left and right.  No sense putting it off, another week won't make any difference.

Hope your window gets taken care of as easily as expected today, Mothermitzi.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mothermitzy, I was thinking of you tonight while at my S & S in Reading. They had the veal shanks. I was almost going to pick them up, but if I did - I would have to freeze them. And I don't know, how they would have turned out then. I had my slow cooker simmering at home with Moroccan stew (with I am going to serve with couscous) and I know, we will have at least two meals from it. Probably 3, but I will freeze the last one - Mr. P does not take well to eat the same meal 3 days in a row (I would be delighted). I really had to work on him for a second day's meal, until he realized food often taste a lot better the second time around. Thursday is his tennis night - so we usually eat late. Maybe pizza or such. And this weekend will be busy. We have a Bar Mitzvah Saturday and a 1-year old's birthday Sunday. All I could think of was, "Darn it - wish mm would be coming this way". But I guess, there are no football games for you and your father to watch these days. Besides you already had your lovely Osso Buco.
    How did your repair of the window leak go? Hopefully your guy found the culprit and you will not have to worry any longer. Sometimes those "small" annoyances are difficult to pinpoint. Stay dry tonight - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

Funny how it goes with the shanks.  I almost never see them in any store.  I had good luck with McKinnon's and the price was good.  I also like the idea of calling up and ordering them. I had the second round of leftovers tonight.  I could have it again but I gave most of it away.  Next time I'll keep a little more.  

The leak was fixed today.  Funny, yesterday with all the rain we had it didn't leak at all.  I expected it to.  I'm not going to do any redecorating until we've had plenty more rain and I know it's really fixed.  I have faith in this guy though. Water is insidious and can come in through the tiniest crack. He's a cracker jack at finding the source.

As it turns out, I was out that way today.  The contractor finished early and I knew my nephew had a basketball game late this afternoon, so I picked my father up and we went.  So you see, we've moved from football to basketball, and soon it will be baseball.  At this point, I can tell you where every school and playing field is in Lynnfield.  My father enjoys going and I don't mind.  We only go to the home games. Even in the mid to late afternoon traffic is terrible at the 93/128 interchange.  I could drive up route 28 but there are so many lights, I don't really think I save any time.  

Sounds like you have a busy weekend.  I will be getting ready to go away the following week.  I'm looking forward to it. Hope you get a good night's rest.

mothermitzi