2010 January Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Re: 2010 January Chat

Hi ho, Ken. I love the new avatar. You look great. Very healthy

What is that behind you though? Looks like youre pulling a rickshaw or something

Peace

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wildo, thanks for your kind comment about my nose; I've always felt self conscious about it.

Thanks, waggie, great suggestions (as always!).

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Waggie, what a great suggestion! Moleskin - I would think of feet, never my neck.
    In India they use a kind of a saucer shaped scr*w on type of a stud. They will not hurt you while sleeping. But unfortunately, the diamonds there are not of the best quality.
    Will try your suggestion. Thinking of it, maybe even the small round band-aids will do.
    What a pain in the neck - hehe!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Achy   those are camp chairs. I was at a Men's retreat, camping out in the woods of Payson, AZ

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken, I figured that one out as soon as I saw your avatar. I do remember, you told us about your men's retreat some months back. Looks like you are having a great time. What are you drinking? At that time of the year it would be too hot for eggnog and brandy. Even though I remember you froze your butt off up in the mountains. You know, here on the Chat we need to know ALL the details. Hehe!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

The mad deleter has struck again, I see

Great...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Dear Pingo,

I saved you the trouble....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

pathetic

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I had a lousy day at the office. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Our fancy copier - that can do everything - had no toner. Someone forgot to order it - not me. Should I fire her?  Was seriously thinking of it for a few moments. Fortunately we kept our old copy machine, so we at least could use it to copy.
    Our telephone system went down for a couple of hours and one of our company vehicles hit a large pothole on 128 - two flat tires and a bent rim. Just one of those days.
    But I came home to a  slow cooker full of a wonderful chuck roast and plenty of vegetable. Started it this morning - kind of forgot about it, being so very busy at the office. Coming home to this wonderful aroma lifted my spirit.
    Unfortunately, I have to wait for Mr. P - it is his tennis night. Making mashed potatoes to go with it, and I will have plenty for tomorrow - I hope.
    I am sure tomorrow will be a lot better.
    You all have a nice evening - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, sorry I don't get you. What troubles? If anything deleted, I wouldn't know about it. Totally at loss here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I am glad you are confused.  Just enjoy your supper, and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi hats -

Amen to that!  Happy New Year.

mothermitzi

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Pingo;

That is COFFEE in that cup..probably, if it was taken in the morning, as I think it was.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Here's hoping you have a better day today, Pingo.  You've got me thinking about pot roast now!  Unfortunately, my groceries for the week are already in.  Talking to my cousin this morning and hearing she was having a couple of waffles, reminded me there were a couple of Ekko blueberry waffles in my freezer - made a nice breakfast with fresh strawberries I got at S&S and syrup on them.  I was pleasantly surprised with the strawberries that looked kind of white at the top, but turned out to have a lot of flavor.

Brief episode of snow has stopped here, just got a dusting.  Are you getting more out that way, Kar?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

I hope you have a better day today, too.  Days like that creep up on us and sometimes we have no control over them.  Pot roast sounds good to me this weekend.  I've already made a beef stew this season and the pea soup is gone. On Sunday, I'm going to my favorite brunch spot, Henrietta's Table.  Was supposed to go with friends the Sunday before Christmas and because of the storm, we cancelled.  

mothermitzi

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

tt, we just got a dusting here, too, thanks for asking.  DH is disappointed, but I'm not.  We are season lover opposites.  Between the two of us we love all 4.

pingo, gosh, sorry to hear of your abysmal day and hope you are feeling better and life gets back on track today.

I made my first lentil soup (at DH's request) yesterday, and it was just scrumptious if I do say so.  I usually am not a fan but made it for him...I'm going to have to make more today, actually.  It's about gone after one meal!  Nothing like a nice bowl of comfort food to lift your spirits, you are so right, Dear.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally missed the deletion episode, by the way...I go out for a few hours and that's when stuff happens.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Soup?  I can do soup - still have some individual portions of my Christmas lemon soup that my picky family eaters would not even try!  Did get a note from G.T.'s friend who took home a container when she stopped in Christmas Eve, saying that was the best lemon soup ever - asking if I had put cream in it to make it so creamy.  Hadn't, but it was a double batch and had 5 extra large eggs in it - that plus the extra rice that's in 2 batches, made for the creaminess, I think.  Anyway, I'll take a portion out to thaw for my supper tonight.  Now, no more talk of pot roast, please, or I'll have cravings for it all week-end!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Who on earth wouldn't even try your famous soup, tt???  I salivated at the recipe...I'd be in a full out drool if I actually smelled it. ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello all,
    Worrying about the expected "snowstorm" - I went out early this morning. Can't believe it. No traffic, no one shopping at Target and Shaw's. Empty stores at noon time?
    Well, I did need a few staples, so I "ventured out". My "for breadmaker only" flour container was empty, can't have that. Also bought some new yeast. I know dry yeast stay for quite a while, but mine was pretty old. Mr. P loves newly baked bread (so do I, but I cannot afford it - weight wise that is).
    tt, I won't mention what I made last night, but I used a piece of meat, my son and DIL brought in from their Texan ranch. I was waiting to use it for the right time. Apparently yesterday was the right time. What a flavor. So different from what we get up here. I guess "farm fresh" is what made the difference.
    I am in for the weekend now. Have to take down my Christmas tree. I always keep until Epiphany. Something my Mom always did - so I am following her foot steps, I guess.
    After the quite callorie rich meal yesterday, tt does not want me to be mentioned, which was quite calorie rich,we will have salmon and green beans tonight. Have to make a balance.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Verrrry clever, Pingo, but I know what you were alluding to!

Just called my former neighbor's son (the one who came up from Fla to live with them) to get her private phone # and see how she is doing in long term care facility.  She has gone down rapidly - does not even know them some days when they go in.  I knew she had failed a lot because the last time I had spoken with her at the facility, I knew she couldn't really put a face with my name, and was just covering.  I plan to call her later this afternoon, they were having a musical program for the patients the early part of this afternoon.  So hard to see this vibrant, energetic woman go down to this state.  A blessing that right now anyway, she seems happy where she is.

We never know what lies ahead - good thing.

Update:  Just talked with my friend for 15 minutes and she was perfectly lucid, even asked about G.T.  We ended by telling each other we loved the other and that both of us had been the best neighbors anyone could ask for.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

I know we've had many coincidences on these pages and now we have another.  I was touched by your story concerning your old neighbor because just last night, the nephew of one of my father's former neighbors called me to say she is on a rapid decline. She and her parents lived next to my parents for fifty years before Alzheimer's sent her to a nursing home a few years ago. My father and I went to see her last June on her birthday and we had a nice visit.  She had no short term memory but we talked about the past, and she could participate. Her nephew gave me the option of going to say goodbye (for my sake really) but thought it might be too much for my father, so I'm going tonight alone.  I'm so pleased that you had a nice chat and said the important things to each other.  
    No matter what the future holds, you will have that memory.

mothermitzi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

In my house, the decorations also stay up until Epiphany or Little Christmas as my mother called it.  Like you, I will be busy putting the decorations away this weekend.

mothermitzi

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, so sorry to hear about your former neighbor. This is just like my mom. I know, I was far away, but I couldn't have helped her even if staying close by. She didn't recognise anyone. Even though, she had her clear moments.
    When my husband and I once visited - she looked at him and said, "I don't like you!" And they used to be pals, teasing each other. The next sentence, that came out of her mouth, "You have beautiful eyes, I love your eyes. You are the best thing ever happened to my daughter. " My husband asked her if she knew, who he was. "Oh yes, of course - you are Mr. P." But after that she started to ramble along talking about the spiders in the ceiling. It was very difficult visits.
    I give a lot of credit to my late sister and later her husband to go and visit often. They did that mostly to be sure, she was taken well care of.
    But like your neighbor, she was very happy where she was. She called the caretakers "my angels". Of course we all knew, that she was not to last very long. So the time we had with her in her last few years, was time for us to prepare for the inevitable.
    I hope your neighbor's son make the most out ot it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mothermitzi,  I'll be thinking of you and your visit tonight - such a hard visit to make.  I hope there has not not been too dramatic a change in her appearance since you last saw her.  I'm reminded of a former hockey mom acquaintence I used to sit with at the games, and how at her recent wake, tho she looked lovely, I would not have known it was her.  It was such a shock that it brought tears to my eyes for the girl and times that had been.

Sections
Shortcuts