2010 January Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Re: 2010 January Chat

Thanks very much tt.  I am preparing myself for whatever I see.  What else can you do? Besides, I have many happy memories and her past appearance stored away in my mind. No matter what I see tonight, that's what I'll remember.

mothermitzi  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

mm, thinking of you with the others.

Blessing and peace to you tonight especially,
    ~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

We took a little holiday today. We drove up to Sedona, through the Red Rocks, and then on up to Flagstaff, just to see some SNOW. We haven't seen any for about 5 years and stopped at a nice scenic spot south of FLag.. and threw snow balls at each other. We had lunch at Denny's in Flagstaff and drove home. Just got in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

What a nice day, Ken.  Sometimes the simplest pleasures give the happiest times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ken, I was in Flagstaff back in '89 with the Christian music group, Continental Singers.  It was July, though, so no snow!  I think it was about 110.

Nice imagery.  Thanks for sharing your fun day. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ken, what a nice day you and Mrs. Ken had. I just have to look out my window to see snow - and you go to look for it.
    I was in Flagstaff in 1994. Our son graduated with his BS that year, and the graduation present he wanted was a cross country trip with the family. We flew to Phoenix, rented a car and then drove to where ever. It was a great trip. Even though it was so many years ago - I remember it as if it was yesterday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We had a dear foraging for whatever could possibly be left in our garden this morning, and Gracie was so riled up she couldn't even p00! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

kAR:
      Oh my "dear"!   a "dear" in your garden.  That poor  "dear" thing must have been hungry.,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Since the wooded lot on our street was cleared and a house built, we haven't seen deer, fox, or any wildlife.  I guess skunks and raccoons may go into hibernation - I had thrown out quite a few bunches of grapes, thinking some animal passing through the yard at night might enjoy them - my son laughs because with every walk shoveling, there they are, still there!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Mothermitzi, how did your visit go?

G.T.'s friend (the lemon soup lover) stopped in for a surprise visit last night, hoping to be able to "help me out".  I don't know what she expected to find, but she said "oh, everything is so neat.  What can I do for you."  I really felt a little bad - if I had known she was coming I would have dug up some chores, or even left dirty dishes in the sink, asking for her help.  As it was, I did have her loosen some tight bottle caps.  Of course this morning I can think of a dozen things, like giving my l.r. area rugs a sweep to get the cat hairs out.  We all like to be able to be allowed to help someone out, don't we?  There's a chance she might move back temporarily into the family homestead on this street while her position and condo are undergoing changes.  While I would hate to see this disruptance in her life, I would selfishly love to have her so near - I enjoy her company so much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh Ken, you are being "mean". We all know, what dear Kar meant.
    We haven't seen many deer in our yard this year either. Just two fawns around Christmas time. They used to come in large herds by this time of the year. Could it be a sign of the deer population decreasing?
    I have a lot of things on my to-do list this weekend. I have to take my Christmas tree down and put away all the Christmas decorations, which I hate for more than one reason. Then put out my "spring - stuff". That always lift my spirit.
    Mr. P and I are going to take apart our grandfather clock, to see if we can repair it. We did oil it a while ago, but now it goes and then stops after a few weeks. A clock repairer will charge $300 for just showing up. Mr. P is handy and think he knows what is wrong. If we cannot fix it, a new movement cost about $500 - something we might have to do.
    Then we need to clean our refrigerator, and I don't just mean inside (which I also will do). It needs to have the coils vacuumed for dust and such. A task that will take time.
    I started my peasoup in my chock pot earlier this morning, so I don't have to worry about supper. Couldn't find the pork hogs, but got a lot of pork necks and country style ribs. It smells divine already. Will have enough for tomorrow as well, I hope.
    It looks lovely outside even though it is very cold. Hope you all will have a nice day - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yes, of course, deer!  I hadn't had my cuppa yet. :)

...we've been seeing lots of tracks.  A whole family has been coming by.  Not sure what they've been able to find, though.  Pretty stark out there even in our old garden.  This was the first one I've seen myself, though, this year.  It was a beautiful doe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yes mothermitzy,
    How did your visit go last night. Hope you didn't leave too depressed. Like you said, the good memories will always be there. I am sure if your friend is still lucid, she must have enjoyed your visit. And that is really what matters, isn't it?
    I like your new avatar. Looks like it is the Charles and the skyline of Cambridge or Boston. I don't know, which side you live on. Or could it be from one of your trips to Maine? Whatever it is, it is so peaceful. I just can't make out, what that white thing on the bottom of the picture is. But that's ok. Still enjoy the picture.
    I used to live on Charles Street, when I first came to this country. So many wonderful memories from Charles River. Had a lot of walks and suppers there on the banks. Hubby (then date) and I would pick up a sub and a bottle of wine and just sit and enjoy the sunset and the life and boats going by. Of course at that time one did not have to worry about getting assaulted. Life has changed so much. But my memories have not. Whenever someone says Charles River, my knees go soft.
    Have a nice day - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Quite a few of us have happy memories of the Charles - I loved going in and meeting G.T. for a day of shopping and then a walk to Comm Ave to his place, then over to walk along the River.  I always felt so "cosmopolitan" on those visits - "country mouse visiting the big city", Mothermitzi!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I went to Boston University and lived in a brownstone overlooking the dear Charles.  What a world away I am these 20 years later.  Who can imagine at that age how many times life will change so drastically.  Had anyone told me what was ahead how hard I'd have laughed at the absurdity!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

But you know Kar, your world right now is lovely!
    Bless you and DH - Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

Happy Saturday to all.  tt, it always makes me chuckle when you mention city mouse - country mouse.  Always loved that story and the elaborate illustrations. I must find the book and get it out.  It's in one of the kid's rooms. Over the years, the kids put their childhood books away.  Later on, I put them back and now when the grandchildren come, they go right for the books.  When my dear little pink friend comes in, she heads upstairs to the books. I believe books are the greatest childhood treasure.  

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your kind wishes.  I went to visit our friend, and it's just as well my father didn't go.  It would have made him sad.  At the end of my mother's life, she was housebound for several years and this neighbor would come next door several times a week and she and my mother would play Scrabble.  For those of you who play, you know that a word's validity is sometimes challenged.  There was a lot of that going on, and finally, my mother put a dictionary on the kitchen table! Subtle, but it worked!  She was a good friend to us for many years and good to me growing up.  

Pingo, my avatar is taken from one of my favorite spots in Maine.  The full size picture is stunning, but in a thumbnail you can't see detail. I wanted to get rid of the Santa photo and this is the first one I came across.

Speaking of the Charles, I'm about to bundle up and walk to the river and cross the Mass Ave. bridge.  My destination is the top of Newbury Street and the Starbucks where a large hot chocolate has my name on it.  Then I will walk back.  It's a good walk and I'm ready for it.  The river is frozen solid but beautiful with the recent dusting of snow on the ice.

Have a great day everybody.

mothermitzi       

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thank you, my friend.  Bless you, as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

mm, I should have known, Maine of course. - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

MM, I think I had a delivery near the place you speak of...today in fact. Different feel to the neighborhood than you describe though....maybe I am wrong

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi icer -

The Starbucks I went to is almost at the corner of Newbury St. and Mass. Ave. It is considered Back Bay.  It's the perfect stopping point for me on these winter weekend walks.  I sit and drink a hot chocolate and people watch.  A busy coffee shop is great for that.  Today was cold but no wind.  By the time I crossed back over the river, I felt like an icicle. I went out later and was glad I walked earlier.  Forget it tomorrow.

Great night on PBS for Bette Davis fans.  I watched Now Voyager, Dark Victory and Jezebel.  Seen them all before.  Now Voyager is my favorite of the three.

Glad you had a delivery.  I hope that means business is ok for you.  Happy New Year icer.

mothermitzi 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Great night on PBS for Bette Davis fans.  I watched Now Voyager, Dark Victory and Jezebel.  Seen them all before.  Now Voyager is my favorite of the three.

Oh no.  How did I miss that.  My very favorite is perhaps not so well a known film of hers, The Letter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Good Sunday Morning tt -

I just happened across Now Voyager as it started and went directly to the computer to post but for some reason, I couldn't access the internet.  This has been happening a lot, and my provider has finally agreed to come to the house tomorrow after I did all the troubleshooting I can from here.  My access is spotty, even today.  By the time I could post, Jezebel was almost over.  I did think to let you and others know early on.  Oh well.....!

I'm going out to brunch and will check in this afternoon.  Cold cold cold!

mothermitzi

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Happy brunch mothermitzy!
    Henrietta's is also one of my favorites. Have never been for a brunch there, but several times for dinner. And we spent a New Years Eve  there with friends a few years ago. The NYE menu was absolutely fantastic. Never had such a good lobster bisque.
    My B-Day is coming up soon, and it is on a Sunday this year, so I would love to go there for brunch. Please give us all the details, when you get back.
    Just doing chores at the house today. Cleaned the refrigerator - inside as well as outside. Now ready to put my Christmas tree away, while Mr. will watch football and I will listen and just watch the most exciting calls. - Pingo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, how weird is it that I cleaned the fridge inside and out yesterday and took down our tree today?