2010 January Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: 2010 January Chat

Gee pingo, so much energy!   Feel like cleaning another refrigerator?  Come visit!

6 days with 6 guest teens,  in and out of the fridge.  Yuk.  One downstairs we use mostly for batches of dog stew  to be served down there,  soda,  and only in warm weather, food to be taken out for snacks-  it is now disgusting! 

One of DH's nieces has opened lots of soda cans and bottles upstairs,  turns out downstairs too.  Instead of taking the bottle or can out, she likes to bring a glass, put it on a fridge wire or glass shelf,  then open and pour.  Clearly,  soda fizzed over the glass top and ran down through shelves, over and over.  What a mess!   DH asked her never to do it the first day here.  But she clearly kept doing it when out of sight downstairs!
         I opened the door to put in stuff from the freezer to thaw for DH's birthday dinner, ended up throwing out 6 2 liter bottles that had been opened, 1 or 2 glasses gone, and caps on shelf or loosely on top of bottles- all flat.  Threw them all out,  and 13 half full cans, opened and now evaporating for days.  Several jars of sweet mixed pickles and suchm and gallon glass jars of pickles,  2 with covers off and left on shelves, so brine evaporated down,  3/4 of a gallon of dills,  half sours,  sours, and sweet mixed  all to be thrown out.  Lovely smell, all that vinegar and garlic, dill in the air of the whole fridge.   Little PIG.

Yuk, I hate cleaning such mess, after throwing out what needed to go, I closed the door on the mess  and made room for the legs of lamb upstairs.

(Different niece than the pouty troublesome one.  ) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Waggie,
    OMG! Sorry you have to deal with this. But it sounds like something my niece from abroad would do too. She eat cereal with milk 15 times a day. Leave all her cereal bowls, where ever she happens to be at the moment. All dried up sometimes. I don't expect to recover a cereal bowl in my pantry or powder room. Leave the milk out or in the fridge without the cap.
    Open several cans of soft drinks - not finishing them. Why? Because the first one and second one and third one goes flat.
    I will be the the process of making dinner, and she will take everything out of the refrigerator to make a sandwich for herself leaving all and everything she used in the process on the counter - jars opened, cold cuts unwrapped etc. Then of course she is not hungry at dinner time. And here goes the cereal for the rest of the evening.
    If I catch her, I ask her to clean up and put things away. "Ok", she says and walk away. My own boys were never allowed to behave like this. I have complained over and over again to hubby, but he does not want to interfere too much - to keep  the family relations. His brother is not an easy person to deal with.
    I am just wondering, how these kids will run their own home one day. I rather not visit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi pingo -

I recommend the brunch - a bit pricey at $45.00 but very well done and a great selection.  The brunch is served buffet style. They had eggs benedict on the buffet line but will also make eggs to order. I started off with fresh Duxbury oysters, cooked shrimp and smoked salmon, along with various pates and terrines.  I took just a little bit of each.  Next course, I had striped bass, brussel sprouts and roasted beets with salad greens and various local cheeses. They had roast chicken and potatoes and a roast sirloin but I passed that up. Next course, I had eggs benedict and more striped bass.  Besides eggs, they have the usual breakfast offerings of waffles, bacon and sausage.  The dessert was the best part - chocolate bread pudding with a warm banana caramel sauce.  They offered two cheescakes - gingerbread and a plain w/ fresh fruit.  I opted for the gingerbread version.  They also had fresh fruit, cookies and a white chocolate Saint-Honore. I'm sure I've missed something along the way.  I haven't eaten anything else all day. If you like Henrietta's Table, you may also enjoy Sandrine's Bistro in Harvard Square.

mothermitzi     

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

PBS is showing Return to Cranford tonight at 9:00PM.  Not sure if you watched the Cranford series last year with Dame Judy Dench.  I enjoyed it and you may, too.

mothermitzi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for the TV tip, Mothermitzi, I'll be sure to put it on.  -  Doubt if you'll be able to stay awake with the brunch you put away!  What great menu selections.

Just had a call from former work friend, telling me of her grandson who was training for track by running on the beach with some other runners, and being bitten by a german shepard.  Dog's owner blamed the boys' running for exciting the dog which she obviously didn't have leashed, and took off not leaving name/number, or any way to verify if the dog had had shots.  Her grandson has had to undergo 4 painful rabies shots already and I believe has one more to go.  I told her to at least gain some small bit of satisfaction by writing letters to the editors of local papers, detailing dog owner's total lack of responsiveness in her handling of the situation, and the painful consequences to the teen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

I'm going to tivo the show in case I fall asleep. I wasn't hungry for much tonight and steamed some cauliflower - that's it.  Sad story about the dog bite. I'm sure the young man was terrified. The owner probably didn't expect to encounter others on the beach, but her excuse is ridiculous.  The dog is poorly trained. I've heard rabies shots are terribly painful.  I think they inject the shots in the abdomen.  The thought sends a chill up my spine.  Growing up, our neighbor had a German shepard and she was one of the most intelligent and affectionate dogs I've ever been around.  You just never know.  

mothermitzi 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you mm for a great "report"! Birthday brunch at Henrietta's it will definitely be. I am already looking forward to it. Pricy - maybe, but once in a Blue Moon it is ok - especially if there is something to celebrate. Sounds like you and I have similar taste buds. I will go for all the seafood and fish dishes first. If I don't get to the meat dishes, that will be fine with me. Just as long as I have room for a bit of desert.

tt, sorry to hear about your friend's grandson. I just don't understand, why some dog owners will not take responsibility for their pets. So the boys were running (boys do run, you know) - had the dog been on a leash, this would not have happened. How nice it would have been, if the woman had apologized and exchanged names with the unfortunate boy - so she could have checked in with him later on to see, how he was doing.
    How is your hand doing? Can you use it a bit now? I am sure it must still be sore, but has the original pain gone away? If so, it must all be worth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hand is coming along - still very swollen.  I told my friend it looks like the top crust of a pie that's been brushed with milk - puffy and glossy!

What angered my friend so about the dog bite episode was that without the owner's name, they could not verify that the dog was up to date with shots, thereby necessitating the series of rabies shots being given to her grandson, for his protection.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Good mornin all...TT you had better be careful with your hand descriptions there. We all know what happened with that pie recipe. I am laughing out loud as I think of it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I guess I'm moving in slow gear this morning, Icer,  I'm not following your line of thought -  explain? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

icer, you made me laugh too. Thinking of that pie-hand is really funny, but not for tt I am sure. And thanks for your advice on the other thread. It is your concern and thoughts that matter to me. That makes you a good friend.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pingo, Icer, let me in on the joke - because it looks like a pie crust?  I don't get it.  Explain, please or I'll drive myself and everybody else all day, trying to get it -

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

PBS is showing Return to Cranford tonight at 9:00PM

Guess no one is going to explain the "joke", so I'll go on to another subject -

Did see Return to Cranford last night and really enjoyed it, Mothermitzi.  I didn't catch when part 2 is on tho, is it tonight or in another week?  Do you happen to know?   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I just visualized an apple pie brushed with milk, then deflate when you take it out of the oven. 
    I have been busy all morning - tending to my orchids. I wanted to do it this weekend, but I got caught up doing other things.
    Cutting off dried up roots, cutting off parts of the orchid that is "no more" doing its job - which is presenting me with flowers during the year. Some of my orchids are 10 years old and I just told Mr. P this morning, I think it is time for some of them to go and to get new ones (B-Day is coming up, hope he takes my hint). My orchids is such a pleasure to me. My lady slippers are in full bloom right now. They start in mid December showing sign of a flower and I watched them carefully every day developing into a most beautiful flower. You need patients, if you do orchids. They look like nothing for the most of the year, but then ---- the fireworks erupt.
    I already steeped the new bark mulch in water, so I was ready to go. I was up at six this morning, not done yet - just taking a break.
    The orchids are in abundant right now in the grocery isles. They are not inexpensive. But they will last you a long, long time and give you so much pleasure.
    Of course if you have cats, that is another story.
    Hope you all will have a nice day. The sun is out - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

My one (oh dear) cat that I have now, doesn't bother my plants at all.  I really think it is because of the indoor formula kibble I give her at night - that fills her desire for greens, because every other cat I ever had would chew on some of my larger floor plants.  I love repotting or even scooping out an inch or so of topsoil on my floor plants and giving them fresh nutrients.

Starting the 3rd of the 4 puzzles I bought last week.  They've been fun to do, real busy scenes with a lot of different colors in them.  No visits planned until Thursday, so will have to devise some more distractions for myself.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. I have been taking long walks and today I could so...I did

I was refering to your directions TT about making pies...When BCD sensored you with ####. I changed your nom to Trash Talk(TT). Do you remember that? It seemed like you in particular got caught up in that for a few posts in a row. Seems so ridulous now with all the crapp everyone gets away with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

I enjoyed it, too.  Last night was the first episode.  Typically, they air the next episode the following Sunday with re-runs during the week.  If you haven't seen the first season, look for it.  PBS sometimes runs it.  If I see it scheduled, I'll let you know.  Eileen Atkins plays Judy Dench's older sister in the first season - excellent.

No wind today, so I took a walk at lunch.  The sun coming through the office windows feels good.

mothermitzi

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, oh, oh, Icer. 
    I'd forgotten all about my directions to p**ck the top crust!  Funny, but I told a friend just last night that looking at the topside of my hand, that's what I feel like doing to it to let the air out!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, mothermitzi, I'll look for it next Sunday night.  I have notes all over my calendar to watch for programs - This Thurs is the start of a new Project Runway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi tt -

I'll check out project Runway this season.  I've never watched an entire episode.  It will give us something to chat about, not that we lack for topics. 

I know it's cold when the cats are at the foot of my bed in the morning or on top of each other in the wing chair in the livingroom without fighting!

mothermitzi

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Cheerio has taken to sleeping under the covers of the guest bed!  Panicked one day when I couldn't find her after having company - finally sat down at the computer- it's in the guest bedroom, looked over at the bed when I got up, and there was this lump halfway down!  At some point in the afternoion the sun hits that bed for a decent amount of time, and that combined with the warmth of the covers, suits her fine!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Hello All..I am glad you remembered TT...such a laugh we had...Something about your post describing your hand reminded me about that time.

I think I may have bird watering info. I will keep you in the loop,as this has been a subject we al have discussed in the past here too. I got some advise from a bird lover on the radio.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

pingo, thank you for your kind words.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Icer,

I almost asked you if you were keeping the watering open this year.  I was doing good up until 2 weeks ago.  Now they're on their own.  I notice warm sunny days they are at the bottom of the drainpipes where the water is dripping down.

Threw out a huge expensive gift selection of assorted nuts for the squirrels today.  Couldn't give them away - noone wanted them for the same reason I didn't, can't leave them alone if they're around, and none of us, least of all me, need all that salt.  Watched 1 squirrel run back and forth under a fir tree, burying his cache.  "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Mr. Squirrel"!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Well actually,I know we both watch the same show on Sunday mornings but this Sunday I went for a little walk. This meant I was listening to the radio. "Ray Brown's talkin birds" I think. I wanted to try some of the suggestions he had for this watering of the birds in this cold. I remebered we have gone around about.

If there is a value to the suggestions I will post the info. I know all of us have struggled with this and I am rather hopeful.

Remeber the rice and bean pack that I set up. Well that WAS a failed experiment.

I guess my "theme" this week(unexpectedly) will be the Confidential Chat. I just realized I have set myself up to make Leasyl's gnocci