2010 January Chat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: 2010 January Chat

tt, I mentioned grapefruits yesterday and thought I had made a "killing". Today the same grapefruits are 3/$1.00 at Hannafords. I could have saved a buck. Well, one never wins.
    I forgot to mention, that I am very happy to hear, that your DIL's lump is benign. That poor girl has been through so much. Hope this is it for her. You know, when cancer strikes - it strikes. One never know, what will be next.
    I had a Melanoma removed on my leg some 8 years ago. Big to-do with removing everything down to the bone, and a graft from my thigh. Was immobile for 8 weeks so the graft could  take. I am perfectly fine now. I have had several check ups and they say I am cancer free. However, my fear is still there, and I know it will never go away.
    I also know, why it could have developed. I had a bad burn on that exact spot from sunning, when I was young and stupid. I was sunning on the beach, whenever I had a chance. We did not have tanning beds then. But now, young people burn themselves, asking for trouble in a tanning parlors. All those tanning beds should be banned as far as I am concerned.
    I will cross my fingers for your DIL on Thursday. Wish her the very best. - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for holding good thoughts for my DIL, Pingo.  I agree about the tanning beds.  My youngest has one in his house.  He is naturally a light skinned Irishman, but  for years now I've never seen him or his wife without this perpetual tan.  I've talked until I'm blue in the face, and at this point can't even allow myself to think about what faces both of them down the road.  All because of their vanity in wanting to be the "beautiful couple".

I had a delicious piece of steak tonight that I got at S&S yesterday.  Thick, juicy, and tender.  I seldom have beef, but every so often I want a piece.  I figure it's my body telling me it needs iron.  Craved spinach this week too, so between the two I'm all "ironed" up!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Someone post about child abusers and pedophiles being locked up forever. Besides the impracticality of that (cost would be prohibitive), would u also lock up forever those with other psychological issues, or would u try to treat them? Well that is the issue. These are men and women who have a serious psychological issue that needs treatment, just like a schizoprenic or manic depressive etc.
    (Oh did i tell u, my degrees are in Psychology?)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Oh my...My cheeks are burning. I am so sorry to make note of what I guess is a little policy about 10 pages. Do I really make folk think they are too long in their posting? have I done it month after month? I am so sorry. I was TOTALLY unaware.

Please forive me. I just know we used to switch over when it got to be 10 pages. I am so sorry. I will regress now. I truly am sorry. bye

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm with Pingo on this one, Ken.  I never heard of a pedophile or child abuser being "cured".  In my opinion, those are the most heinous crimes - abusing innocent children who have no means to protect themselves.  Lock them up and throw away the key.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Don't worry, icer, my reaction was way out of line regardless.  I take things too personally as a general fault.  Another learning experience for me - sorry to upset the Chatter's apple cart with it.

Blessings to all,
    ~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Sorry I have to disagree with TT and Pingo, but the FACTS are otherwise. There are thousands or men and women ex-offenders living among us mindind their owon business and are not threat to anyone.  I suggest you get the FACTS. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I do have a little expertise in this area.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I would seriously be interested in reading some "facts" about "cured" child abusers and pedophiles, Ken.  Point me to some documented material, because I don't believe it.  Not to doubt your credentials, but we read again and again of child offenders who return to society even years after the crime and going out and re-offending.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning Ken,
    You certainly did not offend me. I am sure with your expertise, you see this from a different perspective, than we lay people. I know, there are plenty of mentally disturbed people walking around amongst us and of course they should not all be locked up. Many can live a decent life with good treatment.
    But we are talking pedophiles and child abusers. To me it is one of the worst crime a person can commit. Why? Because young children cannot defend themselves, cannot speak up and verbalise the crime and they become marred for the rest of their life. In my honest opinion these "beasts" should not be on the loose.
    Ken, let me ask you this. If it was one of your children or grand children, that had been molested, would you just turn around and say to the molester, "That's ok. You are only mentally disturbed. Let me help you get better." I doubt it.
    I know forgiveness is one of God's greatest gifts. But it will be easier to forgive if one knows, that these people are not out there to hurt another child. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning tt,
    I craved steak last night as well. I bought mine at TJ's. Little pricy, but they were absolutely delicious. I was up on Rt.114, and justified the price  that I did not have to go to another grocery store just for the steaks.

Anyone know the details of the Tylenol scare? I know they recalled plenty of them, but is it just some numbers/dates or is it all of them - period. Will have to check my supplies. I usually buy the generic brands - I wonder if they have to go too, or is it just the Tylenol brand?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm not sure, but I know they were said to have a musty smell that made users feel ill when they took them.

Speaking of "smells", when G.T. comes down this morning I'm having him take me to S&S so I can return one of those crates of tangerines.  I don't know what chemical they were sprayed with, but it's a smell so strong that even washing off the outside of the fruit doesn't get rid of it.  I'm sure it penetrated the peel.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Yuck!
    Thanks for the tip tt. I would have bought a crate, when I would get to S&S. We have them sitting on the kitchen counter and pick on them all day long. Lovely little snack. Now I will make sure I "sniff" first.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

These actually were tangerines, not the clementines.  When we got home and I was putting the groceries away, I kept wondering what that smell was.  I made a mental note to tie up the kitchen trash bag and get it down cellar, thinking it was something in that.  It wasn't until I was emptying them in the crisper that I realized it was them - at first thought it was just that red plastic netting they have them encased in.  May be, but now it has invaded the skin.  Better safe than sorry.

I think I posted about strong chemical smells on some material things bought at CTS.  Don't know if it's because of the country of origin or dyes, but now I sniff every scatter rug, banner, table runner, placemat, dish towel, before putting it into my cart.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

TT your post is conjuring up some amusing images

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I know, Icer - there's been more than one instance when I've had people looking at me a little strangely - just this last week for instance, when I held up to my nose, a St. Pat's banner and table runner, an indoor rug to put at the kitchen door, and a sisal out door mat for the front doorstep!  So, if you see a "sniffer", come over and say, "toytrumpet?"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

You bet I would!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I can only agree with you tt. There are indeed some imported "stuff" that smells just awful.
    I don't know about China, but I know that people in India f.ex. use a lot of burning incense and camphor. They have it burning all day and night in their homes, in there stores, in their factories. Good luck I guess and to please their Gods.
    It makes me gag, I just can't tolerate it. So, I am very cautious, when I look at something that say, "Made in India". The smell is so strong and it will not dissipate. I once bought a lovely tunic, made in India. Even after 3 washes, I still could not wear it. That camphor smell seemed to be stuck forever. I gave it away. Maybe someone, who was not that sensitive to smells could use it.
    I am with you tt. I will be sniffing away, but I never imagine, I had to do that for food items.
    Also, I think imported items have been travelling long on its way to us. Thus mold is a big problem. It is one of the things, I feel would kill me. I do not want to take chances. I love shopping at CTS, but everytime  I go there, I need to remind myself, that the only reason, they can keep the low prices is, that most of their stuff is imported from countries, that do not have the same standards and regulations we have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Pingo:
    I know I am not going to change your mind, and you are just typical of the uniformed public because the media has painted a picutre of pedophiles as monsters beyond redemption.  But it is just not true. You asked if it were my child what would I do. I would not say it's just OK, because  it's not. Can I forgive? Absolutely, but that is not the same is condoning. Would I want the person to get help? Absolutely!! but I would also expect society to allow him or her to get on with their life after they have been effectively treated.
    Incidentally, the recidivism rate for treated sex offenders is far lower that most any criminals.

OK  enough said.   I will leave this discussion here.
    Peace

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The professional psychiatric community is also vastly divided on the possibility of rehabilitating sex offenders so the likelihood of it being settled here is slim to none.  Both sides of the issue have supporting evidence and studies.

On another note, Gracie gave me one health scare after another this week.  Thank God for the BDC community.  (More info in "When to call vet" and "Frostbite" threads in Pets.)

Pingo, I answered your food injector question in "Secret Ingredient."

Warm day...thank God.  I've been struggling with the cold.

tt, glad to know your hand is on the mend in good shape.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

May we please move on from this discussion? One side will not be able to convince the other, so please, let's just leave it where it is. Nothing is being accomplished here.

I was not picked for jury duty.  I was there almost all day and thought I would be picked. The judge spoke to us beforehand as a group and said it was a very serious murder trial and would be most unpleasant. I was up for the challenge but when we were interviewed individually by the judge, she asked me if I had any lawyers in my immediate family and when I responded in the affirmative, I was dismissed.  Just as well.  The trial was expected to last three weeks and I have a trip to Florida planned in early Feb.  

On my way to my father's .  He is having trouble operating the new digital thermostats that were installed along with his new oil burner. I think we will have an early dinner out.  I'm babysitting tonight for the kids next door.

mothermitzi     

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi kar -

Hope Gracie is ok now and you are calm.  Just like having a baby in the house - on a lesser scale of course - but you know what I mean.  Do I call or not call? I always marvel at vets when they diagnose problems that mystify us as pet owners.  They communicate with our faithful pals in a way we cannot.  

mothermitzi

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

G.T. and partner just left.  Returned my smelly tangerines and then stopped in Kelly's for lobster rolls - first time.  Mothermitzi, I can see why you and your father go there for them.  Other than the somewhat soggy bottom of the roll, I would have thought by taste and size of chunks, that it was fresh lobster meat.  Delicious.  We made a stop in T.J.'s and I picked up a couple of meal items - when I get in there never can remember what you've recommended, Pingo.

Glad you did not have to serve on a murder jury, Mothermitzi.  To hold someone's future in your hands for that monstrous a crime is a huge responsibility.

My stitches come out Monday, and while I have been so pleased with both the size and functioning of my hand, G.T. and partner who had not seen it since surgery, both gasped and remarked how swollen and how much bigger it is than my other hand!  It's all in perception, I guess.  Of course they could not detect any odd smell of the tangerines either!  I told them their smell capabilities are not as finely attuned as mine!

They took down my Christmas tree and put it in the attic, as well as hung a new shower rod, scrubbed my tub, and clipped Cheerio's nails.  Got those l.r. area rugs cleaned of cat hairs too.  Love those guys.  Tried to palm off a couple of my floor plants for their solarium, but apparently it's at capacity, so all I got rid of today were a couple of fake limes to add for color to their lemon jar, and a citrus scent candle.  Had a bag of various size stuffed snowmen I thought G.T. might use in his displays, but they were too "cutesy".

So, now I will do a little work on this 3rd puzzle which I am finding to be more challenging than the first 2.  Hoping you all have a nice rest of the week-end, tho we'll probably "chat" again before it's over.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, mm.  I'm calm, but I have a stress headache, and I totally get what you mean about it being like having a child in the house.  She's our responsibility, and she can't tell us what's wrong.  Stressful.  Glad you didn't get picked for that grizzly trial.  The details, the responsibility...ugh.  Best to you tonight with your visit.

tt, I'm sure your hand is healing nicely if you see and feel obvious improvement.  Best to you for Monday getting the stitches out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Ken for your wise words! I do respect your professionalism.
    I believe, the reason you can be so "calm", because it did not happened to your child or grand child.
    I have a friend, whose son was molested at age 5 by a neighbor. The kid is now 35, and have lots of psychological problems. He has been in treatment forever. A very bright boy, but he could not finish college. And now he is not able to hold on to a job - never mind a girlfriend. Will be on disability forever, I believe. Such a sad story.
    More Peace!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,
    Kind of nice to be snowed in today.  Haven't seen hide nor hair of my plowers/shovelers, but I know they do all the businesses and churches before us.  This is a work day for many people.

Funny story - my cousin and I had talked early this morning re the snow and neither one of us with much prospect of being cleared out any time soon unless we did it ourselves, and were joking about the sight of us two old ladies out there with ladles trying to clear a path!  I called and rescheduled my dr.'s appt for another day, and then dialed what I thought was her number.  When she answered I said, "Oh, did I drag you in from shoveling with your ladle?" And instead of hearing her laugh, this woman's voice said, "No, no, it's much too heavy."  I said, "M----------?".  It wasn't her, I had dailed the wrong number.  I laughingly apologized and explained that my cousin and I had been joking earlier about us "shoveling", but no laugh from her, just an "oh".  Oh well, maybe you had to be in our shoes to appreciate the humor of it.  When I did re-reach my cousin and told her the story, she and I had another good laugh to add to our morning start up.