To be some happy creature's palace;
    The little bird sits at his door in the sun,
         Atilt like a blossom among the leaves,
    And lets his illumined being o'errun
         With the deluge of summer it receives;
    His mate feels the eggs beneath her wings,
    And the heart in her dumb breast flutters and sings;
    He sings to the wide world, and she to her nest,
    In the nice ear of Nature which song is the best?

Now is the high-tide of the year,
         And whatever of life hath ebbed away
    Comes flooding back with a ripply cheer,
         Into every bare inlet and creek and bay;
    Now the heart is so full that a drop overfills it,
    We are happy now because God wills it;
    No matter how barren the past may have been,
    'Tis enough for us now that the leaves are green;
    We sit in the warm shade and feel right well
    How the sap creeps up and the blossoms swell;
    We may shut our eyes but we cannot help knowing
    That skies are clear and grass is growing;
         The breeze comes whispering in our ear,
         That dandelions are blossoming near,
    That maize has sprouted, that streams are flowing,
    That the river is bluer than the sky,
    That the robin is plastering his house hard by;
    And if the breeze kept the good news back,
    For our couriers we should not lack;
    We could guess it all by yon heifer's lowing,
         And hark! How clear bold chanticleer,
         Warmed with the new wine of the year,
    Tells all in his lusty crowing!

Joy comes, grief goes, we know not how;
    Everything is happy now,
         Everything is upward striving;
    'Tis as easy now for the heart to be true
    As for grass to be green or skies to be blue,
         'Tis for the natural way of living:
    Who knows whither the clouds have fled?
         In the unscarred heaven they leave not wake,
    And the eyes forget the tears they have shed,
         The heart forgets its sorrow and ache;
    The soul partakes the season's youth,
         And the sulphurous rifts of passion and woe
    Lie deep 'neath a silence pure and smooth,
         Like burnt-out craters healed with snow.

James Russell Lowell  

Good Morning All!  The May chat thread went to 13 pages, which I think is a record.  So, if you read this far, here is a place for June chats!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: A Day in June

Good morning, hats

Lovely poem, but I'm sorry, you lost me after the first 4 lines.

Yes, we do "chat" a lot - I think you're right, that 13 pages is the longest we've actually stayed under one heading.

Happy June days to everyone.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Good morning all. Yes, a  nice way to start the month of June, HATS.

As you see,, I am on the internet, but not sure for how long. I was doing fine last night for awhile, then lost my wireless connection. I'm beginning to think it was not the up date, but something to do with my wireless. I am going to get some CAT cable and hard wire it. How long this lasts is anyone's guess. My son is coming over this morning to see what he can discover. If it's  working OK I'm not sure what he can find out.

Yes, there is nothing so rare as a day in June, but the writer (Lowell) was obviously from New England.  I'm sure his poem would have been drastically differrent were he living in Phoenix.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Happy first day of June to everyone - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just got back from the mall.  It feels about 10 degrees cooler here.  Came in and changed out of my sweats, and now want to change back into them!  Activity looks good at the mall, don't know if there are sales going on I missed, but I came home empty handed.  Still haven't lost enough weight to get into those things I see that I think would look great on me - if only they came in XL!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello tt,
    You were out early - did you have your walk already?
    I posted on the May thread about my perching bird on the corner of our office roof. I do believe it was a confused baby Eagle (if you care to read my other post). I did call the town this morning and asked, if they knew of any Eagle nests in the town. They got all excited, but were totally unaware. Now they will be looking for them. At least I will have some help. I am truly interested to get down to the nitty-gritty of this. Imagine a baby Eagle on my roof? I don' t believe we have a nest up there, but today we will go there up to find out. If the birds were nesting there, we would have seen the parents all along.
    I am now on my way out to do some shopping. Mostly for things to bring along to Ireland. It is going to be cool there (high 50 - low 60) so sweaters are a must. I am so excited and your travel itinerary made it even more exciting. I sent it along to our friends and we are busy plotting our week. But you know, we are all very busy professionals - and relaxing is the most important thing for all of us. I am bringing a couple of books, I got for Christmas - and I am hoping I wil have time to just sit in a lounge chair and read and enjoy myself looking at their beautiful garden and GREEN grass. 
    We are staying at some mansion with guest cottages. Just the way we like it. Breakfast and dinner is included, but we have to do our own lunch. Looking back on our other trips, we will most likely skip lunch - maybe just have some bread and cheese along the route. Fruit is also an option, but probably too early in the season. Them lovely apples! When we travel, we want homegrown stuff - not the imported kind we can buy here.
    I am sure by now, you will want to come along. I am especially excited about this trip, because we have several Irish friends. And they are all the greatest. And that includes you.
    I am sorry I fell off the wagon - the diet wagon that is. But I am keeping the 5 lbs off I lost already. It has not been an easy time for me with guests times 2 and now vacation coming up. But I am holding my own and I will join you as soon as I get back from Ireland. As long as I don't gain anything, I will be happy. But on the other hand - I don't want to miss out on some good Irish food. We will probably do a lot of walking as well - which is good. Can you feel I am excited? - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

I did see your post about the baby eagle, and posted a reply on the same thread.  Any nest spotted yet?

What city/town are you staying in?  Don't remember seeing any guest cottages when we have gone.  Google a map before hand of that area and you will get approximate miles to any spots of interest.  Do ask the innkeepers about local countryside spots to drive to for lunch.  Thats how you will see the patchwork hills of green.  I was so taken by them that G.T. painted a large picture I have hanging in my l.r., of just such a scene, taken from a snapshot I had taken there.

I got my walk in over the mall.  Last couple of days my joints feel really full, feel like they need some lubrication - maybe a nice spot of Bailey's Irish Creme will find it's way there!

I'm at a standstill with the weight loss too.  Have eaten out a couple of times and that always puts a glitch in it, especially with all the salt restaurants use.  Like you, feel good that I haven't put any of it back on.  Still would like to be able to drop to a plain L instead of XL.  Am thinking of a macaroni salad plate for supper, know that's not on the OK list, but better than sweets, I say. 

Ireland is famous for its "green", and it has it's green because of rain.  Bring a lightweight tote nylon type jacket or 3/4 with a hood. Won't take up much space, and it may come in handy.  I'd leave it right in the car.

P.S.  Mentioning books:  Dublin has a lovely bookshop at 24 Grafton St.  I bought a couple of Alice Taylor (Irish author) books there.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry Ken, I just posted to you on the May thread. Please take a look.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I am so proud of you getting back to walking. I wish I could join you. Wouldn't that be nice. You and I would not need these boards then.
    Anyway, I walk my driveway. Up and down. It is long and it has a slope, so it makes it a bit more difficult. But I enjoy it. When it is raining - I walk for 15 minutes inside. Round and round I go in my downstairs entertainment room.
    It is helping me to 'oil' my hip joints, which have been bothering me for quite some time. I don't know how much walking we will do in Ireland, but I am just trying to prepare myself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi Pingo,

I posted to you on the May thread this morning too - in reference to your peonies.

Rainy days I have tried walking around inside my house, but there are too many corners and "turn arounds", so that I don't feel I get the full benefit of it.  I end my outdoor walks with an uphill driveway too.  Let me tell you, sometimes I'm just counting and putting one foot in front of the other to get to the back door (less stairs than the front!).  I'm wondering if all the "fullness" I feel in my joints right now is from the up and down of the barometer the last week.  My joints don't have time to adjust!

Had my Bailey's last night with my supper, and it brought me dreams of Charlie.  Poor baby, he was at my back screen door, and when Cheerio went over to it, he lapped her right through the screen!  I know what brought that on, I put a decorative pillow my great Aunt had made many years ago, on my bed yesterday.  Charlie used to find it and lay right on top of it to sleep - Cheerio went right over and snuggled against it - I'm sure she smelled Charlie.  I think in her own way, she does miss him, as, it's obvious, do I.  Must stop obsessing about him tho, it's easy to forget the torture he put her through, but it was very real.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

First post: 12/15/2005
    Last post: 6/2/2009
    Total posts: 4487
    And add Pingo and Mr. Pingo to that party. We usually go there when it is warmer, so we can sit outside at one of their picnic tables. I know the wait is always long, but that is only a good sign. We have even thought of bringing our own camping table and chairs, when we go there - just to have a place to sit down.
    I can just imagine how busy it must have been on Mother' s Day. We usually take a long walk at Cranes Beach, then go - very hungry - for the fried clams. I know, they are not good for you - especially when on a diet. (Well tt, we are not really on a diet - just trying to loose some weight - right?) But at least we are trying to loose some calories, before we devour them.
    Why am I talking about chowder and clams, when my next week's diet will be Guinness and scones? Yeah!'

Thought you would get a kick out of this breakfast - a rice cake with lemon frosting on top!  G.T. just called and we were comparing breakfasts this morning, mine an omelet with cut up strawberries in it, and his - the above!  Now that's keeping on your diet but having your sweets too!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry Ken, I just posted to you on the May thread. Please take a look.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the offer of the fish chowder, but I asked the Mrs, and she said no thanks, because she doesn't like it.  Oh well.  I guess is it has to remain in my memories.  NP

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

TT    Keep up the walking,,,besides, it IS a good ex cuse to have a little nip.Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, sorry, Mrs.Ken does not share your enthusiasm for clam chowder. I am sure she must not be from NE!
    But Ken you could easily make it for yourself. All you need is clam juice, canned clams, potatoes, onions and bacon. Then some heavy cream to top it off - even though I use half & half. A pat of butter when served will make you feel your are in heaven.
    I do make it once in a while, when Mr. Pingo and I have a craving for it. Not to have to pay the outrageous price Legal asks. Plus, when at the restaurant it usually goes with Oysters on the Half Shell, Calamari, and an assortment of lovely seafood dishes. It is one of my Texan DIL favorite places to eat, so when she is visiting, Mr. Pingo break the bank, and we go there. The bill is never less than $300 for 5 people. Go figure.
    But for a just bowl of clam chowder - I make it at home using Legal's recipe. It comes out just as nice as theirs. At least we think so.

[QUOTE]Thanks for the offer of the fish chowder, but I asked the Mrs, and she said no thanks, because she doesn't like it.  Oh well.  I guess is it has to remain in my memories.  NP
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

Hi Everybody -

I see we are discussing two of my favorite things in the world, fried clams and peonies!  The lines do seem to be getting longer at The Clam Box.  I never seem to hit it just right, although I always thought, the earlier the better.  My aunt will be visiting in a couple of weeks, and I know that will be a destination for us. She is a transplanted New Englander who has not been here for 15 years.  Growing up, we had peonies in our yard that originally came from my grandmother's yard.  One bush had white blooms with a pink blush in the center.  The other was a most definite pink. I laughed when tt mentioned shaking them for ants because they do seem to harbor ants.  Must be the big tight blooms.  We used to do the same thing!  The fragrance is lovely, too. 

Heading out to lunch now.  I'll stroll over to the farmer's market and see what I can pick up for dinner.  After three bunches of swiss chard last week, I'm a bit tired of it.  However, they have hothouse spinach and I'll try some today. Also spied some rhubarb last Friday.  I have a recipe for a rhubarb custard pie that might work. Better get going.  It looks like we might get a shower.

mothermitzi   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"We are staying at some mansion with guest cottages. Just the way we like it. Breakfast and dinner is included, but we have to do our own lunch"

You can see, Pingo, I am living vicariously through your plans to visit Ireland!  Mentioned your above plans to G.T. this morning, and he reminded me of a "mansion" type place we had visited for a delightful lunch one day.  He said he thought there were a few separate cottages that went with it.  Friends had given us directions to it - otherwise - we never would have found it - out in the country.  Very nice people ran it.  After lunch, when our rental car would not start in the pouring rain, they came out and insisted we come back in and have a cup of tea while we waited for someone to come to assist in starting it.  Don't remember its name or where it was, but I do have a picture of it somewhere.  I'll look it up sometime this week and see if there's a namepost. Ohhhhhh, I wish I were going - - - - -  Be sure you take down all kinds of little notes of things that happen, I'll want to hear it all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, You must think I am really out of it by now. I really don't know much about this trip. Which is not me at all. All I know is, that we have to meet our friends at Delta at a certain time on Saturday. It is kind of a 'blind date'. Our friends booked this trip and that is good enough for me. They have never disappointed us. So, I have decided to just go along and see what happens. I am just coming along to take in beautiful Ireland. A place we always wanted to visit. (Been to the Lake District, Wales and Scotland). I will definitely take notes, I always do. Otherwise my old brain will not be able to remember.  I am planning to call my friend tonight and maybe get some more info. Mostly so I can tell my children, where they will be able to find us. 

[QUOTE]"We are staying at some mansion with guest cottages. Just the way we like it. Breakfast and dinner is included, but we have to do our own lunch" You can see, Pingo, I am living vicariously through your plans to visit Ireland!  Mentioned your above plans to G.T. this morning, and he reminded me of a "mansion" type place we had visited for a delightful lunch one day.  He said he thought there were a few separate cottages that went with it.  Friends had given us directions to it - otherwise - we never would have found it - out in the country.  Very nice people ran it.  After lunch, when our rental car would not start in the pouring rain, they came out and insisted we come back in and have a cup of tea while we waited for someone to come to assist in starting it.  Don't remember its name or where it was, but I do have a picture of it somewhere.  I'll look it up sometime this week and see if there's a namepost. Ohhhhhh, I wish I were going - - - - -  Be sure you take down all kinds of little notes of things that happen, I'll want to hear it all.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, sorry, Mrs.Ken does not share your enthusiasm for clam chowder. I am sure she must not be from NE! But Ken you could easily make it for yourself. All you need is clam juice, canned clams, potatoes, onions and bacon. Then some heavy cream to top it off - even though I use half & half. A pat of butter when served will make you feel your are in heaven. I do make it once in a while, when Mr. Pingo and I have a craving for it. Not to have to pay the outrageous price Legal asks. Plus, when at the restaurant it usually goes with Oysters on the Half Shell, Calamari, and an assortment of lovely seafood dishes. It is one of my Texan DIL favorite places to eat, so when she is visiting, Mr. Pingo break the bank, and we go there. The bill is never less than $300 for 5 people. Go figure. But for a just bowl of clam chowder - I make it at home using Legal's recipe. It comes out just as nice as theirs. At least we think so.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm As I recall, the question was about FISH chowder, then you give me the nice receipe for CLAM chowder, which is easily found in many restaurants around here. 

And as for the Clam Box, my first year after I got out of the USAF, and was atending Gordon College, we lived in Ipswich, far too close to the Clam Box, especially on what was then a very tight budget.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Heading out to lunch now.  I'll stroll over to the farmer's market and see what I can pick up for dinner.  After three bunches of swiss chard last week, I'm a bit tired of it.  However, they have hothouse spinach and I'll try some today. Also spied some rhubarb last Friday.  I have a recipe for a rhubarb custard pie that might work. Better get going.  It looks like w emight get a shower.

mothermitzi   

Kale is very nice, stir fried with olive oil and garlic, and set on a bed of steamed brown rice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]Hmmmm As I recall, the question was about FISH chowder, then you give me the nice receipe for CLAM chowder, which is easily found in many restaurants around here.  And as for the Clam Box, my first year after I got out of the USAF, and was atending Gordon College, we lived in Ipswich, far too close to the Clam Box, especially on what was then a very tight budget.

For the longest time, I dated a guy from Ipswich. As the relationship faded, I thought of moving there, not for hime, but for the town's beauty; proximity to the sea; art galleries, and, of course, The Clam Box. I love eating outside just as the owners are getting ready to close for season, chowder and fish platter adding to the lovely day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I understand completely.  The second time I went, someone else had done all the planning of what we would see and where we would stay.  I truthfully preferred the first trip there, a tour group I went with.  We saw more of the real countryside with thatched roof cottages nestled down almost to the sea, and there was always a destination, some, off the beaten path, where all sorts of things could be bought, with a driver familiar to the area (a big plus).  I'm sure they have their tours set up to give certain shopkeepers business, and that was OK with me.  For me, a shopper, it was a piece of heaven.  We also got a good feel of the small and the big cities, as well as seeing the places you would want to get to should it be your only trip to Ireland.

I agree that it's important to leave numbers with family so that you could be reached in case of an emergency.  I'm going to try to not talk about it any more, because I'm probably driving you and everyone else crazy.  Imagine if it was me that was going?!  Everyone would be saying, "Hurry up and go, for Pete's sake!"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt - please feel free to talk about Ireland as much as you want. No, you are not driving me crazy. In fact you get me more excited about going there. I would just love to have your come with us. You would be the best tour guide.
    The reason we are not taking a tour is, that we really want to experience Ireland on our own. (We are going to have a car with GPS). Off the beaten path is what we like. We are not like Japanese (or some American) tourists. Stop the bus, get out and take a picture, then go for the next stop. Ugh! When we travel, we like to experience the sense of the the countryside, the cities, the culture. If we like one place, we may want to spend the afternoon there. Relaxing. And not run around doing sight seeing. Who knows. Or we may just visit a few places and take in those places. Remember we are on vacation, not on a sight seeing tour.
    This is not a trip to see as much as possible. We can always go back some other time. We just want to spend some time together having fun and relaxing. And fortunately our friends are just like us. Sometimes one has to 'get out of here'
     to do that. I think, we couldn't find a better place than Ireland to just do that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Reindeer girl, what is you avatar? It looks like Crane's Beach in Ipswich

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

[QUOTE]Reindeer girl, what is you avatar? It looks like Crane's Beach in Ipswich

Almost as nice. ~~smiles~~ It's just outside of Kalamata, one of my favorite beaches where the mountains come down to reach the sea.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Pingo, it's so sweet of you to offer me a bouquet of your peonies.  The truth is, that I envy not so much your being able to bring them into the house, but the ability to grow them in your yard.  I do appreciate your thoughtfulness tho.

Putt, you are really up and at em early this morning, I'm still walking in and out of my bedroom without stopping to make the bed yet, let along flip the mattress and change the bedding.  Have fun on your excursion with your girls.  Ogunquit is a beautiful spot, tho I've never stayed overnight there.

I'm off to a dental appt. this morning and then meeting my cousin for lunch.  Might fit in a couple of stores to do a little shopping after.

New baby sparrows have hatched out and are lined up on the railing under my feeder this morning, little wings flapping, waiting for their parents to drop some seeds in their mouths.  I get a kick out of the bigger bird babies when they come, that look so silly sitting there doing the same - they're as big as their parents and they sit there flapping and squawking!

Ken, I hope your computer has quit acting up for you.  Yes, I'm still walking, tho not any farther.  I have to be sure I can make it back home, no place to sit and rest along the way, and I'm sure not going to just stop in my tracks for a rest - why someone might see me and think I'm an old lady!

Mothermitzi, enjoy your produce from the farmers' market.  Our local one hasn't opened up yet, but I look forward to it once a week.  In my issue of Country Living that I got yesterday there is a wonderful article about Appleton Farms in Ipswich - never even knew it was there.  I'll definitely make a stop coming or going from the Clam Box this season.  It's on County Road, and seems to be set back on a curving drive, not too visible from the road.  Just an FYI.

Have a good day everyone.

Sections
Shortcuts