Announcements and your issues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Announcements and your issues

We'll post updates and announcements here; please also use this thread to record issues you are having with the forums.

First up: We created a Book Club forum for you here:

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/lifestyle/confidential-chat/cc-book-club/60/2120

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Announcements and your issues

BDC, for the past two days besides the changing pictures, I have 90% of the time only gotten the forums up to and incl. the News. All the local news and the rest doesn't show.

Since you have gotten the photo option back somehow, it would be nice if you give us instruction on how to use it. Some of us can use it by looping around and subscribe to one of the photo website. But we, who don't and won't subscribe to another website, cannot.

Third annoying quirk. It takes for ever to load the pages w/i the threads.

Do what your heart feels is right; you will be criticized anyway.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Dottie,

Photos post, but if you ever post another picture again, or even just SELECT another picture but cancel it, your pics can randomly be switched from one to the other; the link seems to be connected somehow to more than just the picture it's supposedly attached to.   I do not think it's browser related; it just appears that way by coincidence of the switcheroo being made at the time someone tries another browser and sees the phantomly connected photo or the one we intend.

loading the pages is a very slow process, and many times I have to reload the current because ads are stuck in the latest post in a thread, not the post itself, and beneath the "ad post" there is no new post empty box.  Refreshing makes the ads go back where they belong and the post to appear as usual as well as the new post box.

spell check on mobile devices is still very messed up.

thanks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

It now takes FOREVER for a page to load.  Even when going from page 2 to page 3 in a thread, never mind going from one thread to another.  As in, FOREVER....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Today, even going in and out of Boston.com several times, I can not pull up any more of the forums page than down to the "NEWS".

"Each one of us contributes in some unique way to the composition of life." 

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I just tried to upload a .png file of 7.77 kb and got an error message that it had to be less than 9 mb.  Tried with several .jpgs, nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Hi everybody,

The top-level forums page ending at the News forums was because of a bad ad tag that inserted the ad into the center well instead of in the right rail. That's been fixed.

I have forwarded the photo issues to the developer who added the photo feature back in. I'll keep you posted.

As for the slow loading of the pages, I'll ask them to investigate that as well. We're running a lot of third-party "remnant" ads on our pages these days, and they can slow things down quite a bit, I'm afraid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Dottie.  I've posted the most photos so if they have questions they can feel free to email me at the address I use to login.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to BDCDottie's comment:

Hi everybody,

The top-level forums page ending at the News forums was because of a bad ad tag that inserted the ad into the center well instead of in the right rail. That's been fixed.

I have forwarded the photo issues to the developer who added the photo feature back in. I'll keep you posted.

As for the slow loading of the pages, I'll ask them to investigate that as well. We're running a lot of third-party "remnant" ads on our pages these days, and they can slow things down quite a bit, I'm afraid.

I am still getting the ads in the middle posting section, lots of times.  It will have Kargiver's avatar and maybe part of her posting, then two or three ads that after I click back on "forums" and come in again, will appear on the right hand side.  It seems as tho I spend so much time these days either waiting to move from one page to another, or when I get there, having to go back and repeat the process because the page hasn't loaded correctly.

I myself have given up on trying to post a picture.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Another issue I have, is going back pages. I usually go to the last page, when I open the the thread. No problem (even though it takes forever). But if I then click on some of the earlier pages, I just get a BLANK page. I will then have to go back and reload the Forums and click on the page, I want to read.
    Dottie, I know you do the best you can (much appreciated, really), but the site has changed so much - and not for the better - from when I just started to post here. In this day and age the programmers should be on top of it all. The kinks you have, are not unsolvable.
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I, too, get the blank page with just the heading, when I try to go back pages.  So many klitches it seems, that I almost take them for granted now - except when I'm in a hurry, or have been on another blog site, and then I realize just how slow these Forums really are.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Hi everybody, I put all of your comments about slowness in a ticket and one of the developers tracked down what he thinks was the problem. Can you tell me if you see an improvement in site speed yet? Not sure it's fully deployed ... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to BDCDottie's comment:

Hi everybody, I put all of your comments about slowness in a ticket and one of the developers tracked down what he thinks was the problem. Can you tell me if you see an improvement in site speed yet? Not sure it's fully deployed ... 

Actually, Dottie, I was thinking, the few times I've been on it today, how much faster it seems.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I spoke too soon - I have had to login at least 5 times today, even just to get to the forums page.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not sure - I've never had the login issue, but if the pages are loading faster it's not enough faster for me to notice.  And, I often have to reload, anyway, to get rid of the ads that appear in people's post boxes instead of their actual post.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I've logged in 4 times since supper and it still won't let me post on the CC August thread.

ETA:  Every time I move from one page to another I have to login again.  Just a heads up to Chatters, if it keeps up tomorrow, I won't be on.

~ Mr. Rogers

tt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I never had much of a login problem. Recently I have noticed, the pages do log in a BIT faster, but not by much though.  Whatever software, BDC is using, is not working in so many ways.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Ah yes, you compose a post, you click on "Add your post" and nothing.  Happens all the time.  Why would that make anyone angry?  It's just Manny being....I mean BDC being BDC.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In response to Beach-Spider's comment:

Enough is 'ENOUGH'

I've just wasted 25mins attempting to compose a post only to lose the whole thing to a full page ad (twice) that just pops in at random and erases the whole composition!

As you know, this forum format is one big mess.

Why not tell your boss to forget the so-called devs and simply purchase a fully functioning modern forum?

One that the Globe can be proud of and not this 'lame duck'.

These devs must be related to someone over your head ...

I was prepared to post several more topics - but not now - I'm frustrated.

~ Different Strokes for Different Folks' ~ 

This was my question from the beginning.  Retrofitting, revamping, bug fixing...it's all futile - everyone who's ever had anything to do with software knows it's a black hole of effort.  Whoever missed that fact here really should consider another career.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Folks, the posting issue has been diagnosed by one of our developers. He says there is a conflict between the javascript code in an ad on the page and the tinymce richtext editor (the string of editing tools at the bottom of the comment box).

He's now trying to pinpoint the conflict in order to resolve it. I'll keep you updated.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Diagnose, Pinpoint, & Resolve
    No conflict too big here to solve
    The devs take forever
    But they never say never
    Diagnose, Pinpoint, & Resolve

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Ache :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Hi, kargiver

Hey, do you think it's weird dottie posted this thread here in this forum, and not in the Talk To BDC forum where it belongs? I do

The problems addressed in this thread affect everyone on the board, not just the ladies of OBN

I know dottie has a nana fetish, but her overt favoritism toward you gals is an ongoing outrage and has got to stop

Agreed?