Announcements and your issues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Announcements and your issues

Dottie, is anyone there?  We are really limping along here without the updating of the main page after new posts.  New threads and posts to threads that don't get posted to daily are getting lost, and it takes considerable effort to keep up with regular threads, as well, having to check the second tier down under each section instead of the main forum page for changes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Spell Check/Naughty words

We are no longer allowed to refer to the article of clothing that has long sleeves and buttons up the front that is like a blouse but for men.

We are no longer allowed to refer to the kind of music you put on the stand that does not come in a book and is also something you put on your bed to sleep on.

THAT IS STUPID.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

posting pictures is broken.  again.  Anyone home?  hello?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Sorry for the neglect, Chatters; I've been on other projects. I tested the photo upload today and it now appears to be working. Please let me know if you're still having trouble.

As for shirt and sheet, somebody had added a word to the profanity filter that used a wildcard: *. They put it in the middle of s h and t, not thinking through the implications. We have removed it. Sorry for the annoyance!

Oh, and I have asked for months that the index pages be updated with the latest posts, etc. Unfortunately, there have been major projects here that have sapped all of the developers' time: BostonGlobe.com went to a metered model, registration was revamped, and Boston.com is undergoing a major redesign. My apologies; I'm hopeful we can get resources for the forums after launch.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I was so excited to have the picture capability back, but when I tried it, altho it showed when I was writing the post, it didn't transfer up to the post itself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Sigh. I will report again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Dottie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

trumpet, remember when you used to send your sons out to rake the yard? I know it's a million years ago now, but you remember, right? Well, let's say two hours passed by, and the yard still wasnt raked, and your sons returned to the house, and you asked them why the job wasnt done, and they said, "Ma! Sorry for the neglect! We were busy working on other projects!"

How well do you think that would have gone over with you? Do you suppose you would have thanked them, trumpet? Would you have baked them each a whoopie pie? I'm guessing no, you wouldnt have

So why do you keep thanking dottie? This isnt the first time. (Please see page one of this thread). What has she done around here the last year and a half except make excuses for why the board keeps breaking down? Does anything ever get fixed? No, of course not. You know it doesnt. It just keeps getting worse

So until things start getting better, please stop thanking dottie already

Ugh

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It's nice to know someone is listening and doing what they can (passing the info along to the techs who make the repairs), and also keeping an eye on things.  I appreciate it.

How could you be over in our threads today and not wish me a happy birthday, Ache.  I'm surprised at you.  It would at the very least be the polite thing to do.  The day isn't over yet, you still have a few hours.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Someone is listening? Dottie hadnt posted in this thread for over 200 days, trumpet, since way back in August. What listening?

I'm waiting for her now to say she is "filing a ticket" about your picture issue. That's dottie-speak for "Stop bothering me. The problem is never going away. Leave me alone. I couldnt be bothered"

But anyway, happy birthday, trumpet. The day after St Patrick's Day, huh? I should have known that. I will make a mental note for next year

In the meantime, until she actually starts fixing stuff around here, please stop thanking dottie

ETA: And that goes for the rest of OBN too!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thank you for the birthday wishes.  I'm shameless when it comes to raking them in.  

As for Dottie, she is listening, just has been assigned to a different job.  She can't actually fix the problem, just puts a slip in for it.  What more can we ask?  The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Well, if you call chiming in once every 200 days and making flimsy excuses/empty promises "listening", then what can I tell you, trumpet?

Sounds more like lip service to me, but okay. You and I see things differently, I guess

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

If it is any consolation to you, the way 'report abuse' here works seems to be the default for newspaper sites - all the British papers I read work the same way. 

Dottie, if you have been reassigned, has anyone taken your place or has b.c just decided to ignore all complaints?

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:

In response to BDCDottie's comment:

Sorry for the neglect, Chatters; I've been on other projects. I tested the photo upload today and it now appears to be working. Please let me know if you're still having trouble.

As for shirt and sheet, somebody had added a word to the profanity filter that used a wildcard: *. They put it in the middle of s h and t, not thinking through the implications. We have removed it. Sorry for the annoyance!

Oh, and I have asked for months that the index pages be updated with the latest posts, etc. Unfortunately, there have been major projects here that have sapped all of the developers' time: BostonGlobe.com went to a metered model, registration was revamped, and Boston.com is undergoing a major redesign. My apologies; I'm hopeful we can get resources for the forums after launch.

It'd be nice if the 'upgrade' included removing the 'report abuse' button. Or at least make sure that someone actually reads the reported posts. It seems they are pulled automatically regardless of whether they violate TOS.

Someone in Politics:General has been taking advantage of this by repeatedly reporting tons of posts in an attempt to annoy people. Sure enough, perfectly compliant posts vanish left and right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

I can't  get into March 2014! Keep getting 503 error.  Oddly i can get into this thread. Any suggestions? I can't even read March 2014. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In response to rama8677's comment:

I can't  get into March 2014! Keep getting 503 error.  Oddly i can get into this thread. Any suggestions? I can't even read March 2014. 

I've been getting that too, Rama an googled it.  I clicked on a trusted site,

http://www.wiki-errors.com/err.php?wiki=503

and got a 5 page explanation and instructions how to fix it (which I haven't done).  

You might try going into your history and finding the last time you could get into the boards, and double clicking on that to bring you hopefully, into the page you want to get into.  At first I thought it was just my computer and that a virus had caused it, but there seem to be many of us getting that error, so I suspect it has something to do with BDC, not us.  Hope you are able to  join us again in the regular column.  The numbers of those that are able to get in and post are dwindling.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I get the 503 quite often, usually I just hit the 'refresh' on my browser and it will work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

thanks hats. It's so odd. Every time I try to gst into March 2014 i get the error but I am able to get in and post to other threads like this one. I can't even read March 2014. I'm hoping when it switches to april I'll have better luck. Miss reading all the posts! Say hi to everyone!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

They've entered a competition for world's flakiest software and they seem to have the gold medal in the bag....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

How long, O BDC, will you abuse our patience by stealing from us functionality that used to work just fine?  When will you give our picture posting abilities back to us?  Why can't you revert to the software from a month ago? 

With apologies to Cicero...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

I'm almost afraid to invoke the wrath of Ache by telling you again that there are no developers assigned to UGC (user-generated content) right now, so it's impossible for me to get any of these items fixed.

A new product manager has been assigned to UGC, and she and I sat down yesterday to go over the outstanding issues. In addition, I am working on a spreadsheet of all issues, putting them in priority order. She is meeting with two of our developers Friday to go over the list and figure out what can be done and when.

I hope that when the Boston.com redesign launches, a developer will be able to get back to working on UGC.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

You dont need a fancy spreadsheet, dot. Just a piece of paper and a pencil

Here write this down:

1) Return of DELETE
    2) Return of SEARCH function
    3) Return of the POLLING feature
    4) Fix the damn QUOTE SYSTEM
    5) Fix the GOLD STAR so that it works again
    6) Fix the PICTURE thing (to keep OBN happy)

That's an even half dozen which is plenty. Get that done, and watch my wrath turn into a tranquil serenity

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:

You dont need a fancy spreadsheet, dot. Just a piece of paper and a pencil

Here write this down:

1) Return of DELETE
    2) Return of SEARCH function
    3) Return of the POLLING feature
    4) Fix the damn QUOTE SYSTEM
    5) Fix the GOLD STAR so that it works again
    6) Fix the PICTURE thing (to keep OBN happy)

That's an even half dozen which is plenty. Get that done, and watch my wrath turn into a tranquil serenity

Perfectly put.  Thank you!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

PICTURES!  Pictures are number 1!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to BDCDottie's comment:

I'm almost afraid to invoke the wrath of Ache by telling you again that there are no developers assigned to UGC (user-generated content) right now, so it's impossible for me to get any of these items fixed.

A new product manager has been assigned to UGC, and she and I sat down yesterday to go over the outstanding issues. In addition, I am working on a spreadsheet of all issues, putting them in priority order. She is meeting with two of our developers Friday to go over the list and figure out what can be done and when.

I hope that when the Boston.com redesign launches, a developer will be able to get back to working on UGC.

Dottie... when they relaunch the new boston.com will the forum be upgraded and redesigned as well? Also, how soon til the launch?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to 2013soxchamps' comment:

Dottie... when they relaunch the new boston.com will the forum be upgraded and redesigned as well? Also, how soon til the launch?

God, I hope not. The board is still recovering from the last screwup...I mean upgrade/redesign around here

Sections
Shortcuts