April 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

April 2011

Wow,  Hows your snow?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: April 2011

Good morning!  

Had to copy and paste this from March's thread (and delete it from there).  Oops!  Happy April - what an April Fool's joke from Mother Nature.

First impressions are tough creatures to defeat, Ache...what else can I add?

Pingo, I totally understand about having family with high expectations.  DH's family is used to the best, too, and to think they'll be in our home without me!   As you can imagine, I've not only been doing "regular" cleaning, but also the cabinets, freezer, fridge, etc., all the areas that are usually hidden from house guests.  Not that these don't ever need to be cleaned, of course, but I have so much other stuff to do to get ready to leave that NOW isn't the best time to go whole hog.  DH hasn't even asked them if they want to stay here yet, but I can't wait to find out to prepare.  The good news?  Everything will be spick (BDC won't let me spell it right) and span by the time we go, and it has to be done at some point, anyway.

Looks like we got about 4 or 5 inches.  Gracie is out with her boyfriend playing in the snow no doubt wondering what happened to Spring.

Seems everyone got at least a couple of inches.  Should be gone by tonight, though, right, with it turning to rain for most people?

OK, my errand took 4 1/2 hours yesterday, and that took away from the house chores.  So, off I go to the races!!

Have a great day, all,
    ~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning.  I have a couple of inches maybe I'm about 12 miles North of Boston though.  How about you?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We've got 4- 5 inches, and it's still coming down.  We're in the snow belt, the higher elevation (our house is exactly at 1000 ft) northwest of Worcester.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all and Happy April Fool's Day.
    Looks like we got about 3 inches - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, what a great photo, Pingo!  Great shot of the titmouse.   Funny story about that - DH asked me what they were.  He said, "Titmouse?  No, what are they really called?"  He's so adorable, no?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Hi everyone! More snow,(insert sigh here). Ijust cleared off my car. It's heavy wet stuff, and is now turning to rain. Oh Ihavemyhats, thankyou for that interesting post about the real pumpsygreen. I have never heard of him. I was born in 1959, and (of course Love the RedSox.) I still don't get why my nom keeps flipping back and forth, but I'm happy to know pumpsy is a part of Boston's sports history! bg

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks, Kar. Cute DH of yours. LOL
    I was actually trying to get a shot of the finches eating from the sack, but they flew away while I zoomed in on them. On the photo, you can see one of them in flight, but it got cut off on the right side on my post. - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

I have had family stay at my house when I was NOT there.  NEVER again!!!  I don't care who they in the family.  May sound mean but.........
    We returned home to multiple mishaps.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I worry about that big time, too.  They are DH's family, the uncle is recovering from heart surgery, and right now they are living in an RV* with no shower.  So, as much as I'm capable of putting the kibosh on it, I don't want to in this case.  But, I am secretly hoping they say "thanks, but no, thanks."  If they do stay, I do have the comfort of believing they are trustworthy in every fashion so it could be much worse.

But, I don't even know if they are coming.  I'm betting not.  DH asked this morning, and they thanked him profusely for the offer and said they'd get back to us.  Uh, we're leaving TOMORROW - back to us?  When?  I figure they didn't want to appear ungrateful by turning it down out of hand.  Hoping so, anyway.

So, maybe I'm mean, too?  Oh, well.

~kar

* Pingo, in this case "an RV" is correct because people shorten "recreational vehicle" to "Ar Vee" almost exclusively in regular speech, not just to shorten it here in the forums for easier/quicker typing.  If people said "recreational vehicle" in their heads when reading my post, it would be correct to write "a RV."  But, no one does that (I had to even stop and think about what the letters even stand for); they say, "An Ar Vee."  So, it's different than "a MB" because in that case you've shorted Market Basket purely to shorten what you need to type, not because people call them "Em Bees."  The decision of a or an before an abbreviation is all about what people say in their heads when they read it.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar, "Spick and span" is correct, the detergent dropped the K and the first and last letters of the "and" to make it shorter....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

allreadymarried,
    I am sure this will make Kargiver feel real good. But unfortunately from experience, I am with you. Once is enough - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

hats, good to know!  I'd never seen it written anywhere other than the bottle of cleaner.  

Pingo, I couldn't have hoped they would say "no, thank you" any more than I did before allreadymarried posted.  No worries.  I just can't say "no way" this time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    You are such a sweetheart to remember me, while you have a thousands of other things to do. I got it - love you for that.
    As for your DH asking? Well, DHs are DHs. I am hoping for you that the answer will be a big "NO". Sometimes DHs don't realize, how much we are doing (and loving it in the process) for them. But when it comes to the extended family of theirs, they have no clue, how much work that will encounter for us. We do it for them, so what? "not a big deal". Yes, indeed it is.
    Had my niece and her husband staying here for 5 days with our sons, when they were school age. We had a wedding in Europe to attend and the boys couldn't come, as they still had school to attend. We were planning to send our regrets, but my niece and her husband were offering to "babysit" while we were gone. Sounded great to us, but like alreadymarried - NEVER again.
    A few years later another niece was staying with us during spring break while in college. She had to get out of her dormitory. I was at home, but working full time. She managed to leave my stove top on "high" overnight. Leaving and leave our front door wide open. Our neighbor got worried. She was kind enough to call the police. She knew, we NEVER leave it open for hours.
    Other people, no matter how close family - just don't think the way you do.
    - Pingo

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

Pingo was just putting it out there if she could say "no" to do it:)

Kar as you mentioned the family was trustworthy as well and that was  not the concern. I did feel uneasy about  someone being in my home when I was not there but could not really say no.  We had to address some stuff when we got back and there were tensions. 

My husband and I are particular about things and how we do them.  Others not so much and it was apparent. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, never too busy to let something like that pass without an explanation. :)  Love you, too, my dear.

Looks like they aren't coming.  I'm relieved (tentatively) because I know it's a bad idea no matter how "trustworthy" they are.  It's like lending money.  DH asked and uncle thanked him profusely "for the offer" and then said he'd get back to us.  I think if they wanted to they'd have accepted right away...right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

allreadymarried,
    Having been there, I understood you quite well. You opened up the bag, and I posted my post to emphasize a possible "NO".
    How about placing a hot pizza on your dining table w/o a trivet, so it makes a large white spot to be there forever? How about using metal utensils in your $600 set of pots and pans, so they are scratched forever? How about forgetting your favorite pot on the stove, so the bottom is burnt solid - never to be your favorite pot again? I could go on, but I think you get what I am trying to say.
    Your home is YOUR home. You do things a certain way, no one else - no matter how close relations - do things your way, or care for the way you do it. Little things, that for you are granted others will do or will not do as well.
    Unfortunately life is not so simple - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, I am hoping and praying for you, that you are correct in them not coming.
    Just curious. Why are they staying in an RV and not in a hotel? For someone with a recent heart procedure done, it seems to me, they would be a lot more comfortable there. All the hospitals around here have very reasonable options for their patients. Well, I asked - you don't have to answer, if you don't want to.
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: April 2011:
    Pingo, never too busy to let something like that pass without an explanation. :)  Love you, too, my dear. Looks like they aren't coming.  I'm relieved (tentatively) because I know it's a bad idea no matter how "trustworthy" they are.  It's like lending money.  DH asked and uncle thanked him profusely "for the offer" and then said he'd get back to us.  I think if they wanted to they'd have accepted right away...right?
    Posted by kargiver

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I wish I had a better answer for you, but really they are just very odd people, and I don't know.  They are good folk, but I understand just about 0% of their decisions, lol.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone - still in my tornado, but ducked out for a breath of fresh air...

Kar, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to wish you and DH a bon voyage!  I'm glad it seems your "company" won't be coming so you can enjoy your trip knowing your house is safe and sound, and your dear Gracie is the same at her beloved kennel.  I hope you have great weather and safe travels!  Bring us back some nice, hot sunshine!

ETA:  I'm a little behind, but I finally settled on an appropriate sig line!  Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsygreen. Show pumpsygreen's posts

Kargiver, I wih you the best. It's fantastic to have wonderful guests, and awful to have the worst. Live and learn, I guess. Today turned out entirely different than I thought, as far as work/school/work/appt. scheduling. Oh well. I did have a few minutes to google Pumpsygreen. It's a different spelling (ie), and I'm not sure why I became that nom. However, I'll leave it at that. I'm happy to be Beastsgirl, But pumpsygreen makes me so happy, especially, if not for this internet mistake, I would never have known about him. My Grandaunt was a nun who adored the RedSox, Always got great seats at Fenway. bg

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, we haven't heard from you today. You must be worried about your son. Hope his surgery went well.
    You said, you are going to his home tomorrow with your basket? Is he being send home so soon? Anyway, my sincere and best wishes for you, your son and his family.
    - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

On a totally different note. Our lamp in our TV blew last night. Blink - and the picture gone!
    DH brough in our son's TV. Probably a 20 inch. A top of the line Sony, when he got it. We thought it was the best ever at that time. So we watched the News on it yesterday. Not much fun going from an HD 56 inches. How spoiled, we have become. Good I am not a TV addict. A new lamp is on it's way. - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Kar, I hope you and DH have a great time in FL. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BG/PG, at least you've made peace with your screen name - it's kind of cool.  :)

Pingo, too bad about your TV bulb.  They are so expensive!  We are still watching the "upstairs" TV down here.  Can't wait 'til we replace the one that went kaput.

tt, praying for your DS.

Winter, et al, thanks for all the fun trip wishes!

~kar

Sections
Shortcuts