April 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: April 2011

Your baskets will be perfect without those eggs!

I like the lemon merangue idea to go with the cherry.  Pink and yellow say "Easter" for sure!  Maybe a set of lime to go with?  Pink, yellow, and green...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, I would love to have that recipe some day. Never heard of using Jello for meringues, but it is a great idea. Sweetness, color and flavor - all in one shot.
     - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Ladies, it's the one I posted on AllRecipes.com.  Just go to Sweet Cook (that's me) and the recipe and picture are there.  Or search for it there under Meringue Kisses Flavored with Gelatin.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, have you ever tried this? I don't "bake" my meringues. I heat the oven to 300 degrees. Then I stick in the baking sheet(s), turn off the oven and let sit overnight.
    Beautiful, lovely meringues. - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Have not ever tried it that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Tried to post earlier - saw a flash of yellow as I walked by the slider.  A goldfinch on the branches of what I thought was a dead bush, eating something.  Tried to get a pic, but by the time I had the camera it had flown to the hydrangea and then the lilac bush (which btw has buds).  So, I guess they are lurkers around my yard, just waiting for the thistle to bloom and go to seed!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, so happy for you. Yes, the finches are indeed here. I have a sack filled with Nygar seeds - and they are eating them, like there is not tomorrow.
    You may want to try part of your meringues the way I do them overnight - you will never go back to "watching" them. - Pingo

In Response to Re: April 2011:
    [QUOTE]Tried to post earlier - saw a flash of yellow as I walked by the slider.  A goldfinch on the branches of what I thought was a dead bush, eating something.  Tried to get a pic, but by the time I had the camera it had flown to the hydrangea and then the lilac bush (which btw has buds).  So, I guess they are lurkers around my yard, just waiting for the thistle to bloom and go to seed!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I am so sorry TT, I am unable to cut and paste so I hope I will be able to make myself clear...but long story short,.Of coarse you can do this!!

I find that when you pour over the petit fours, you waste a lot..so I would have to say the dipping method is reliable. You want your cake frozen, but of coarse you know that already. I think if you had your coating very warm that would be a perfect match.

I do have a tutorial I can post here. It involves paper and scissors so I know you have those things, but I REALLY think your question was whether you should make your rosebuds decorations up ahead of time...You could but why do it twice..

If I were you, I would bake freeze the cake on wenesday...cut and dip your petit fours on thursday..decorate with your rosebuds on friday. I find that these coated cakes stay fresh for a long time

I do have a tutorial I can put up, but I kind of thought you didn't need it, and I hate to push my own ways on to others.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

and btw..I tried those merignes last year...they were yummy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, Icer.  What would you recommend as a filling?  Figured I would bake the cake in my smaller lasagna dish, then split lengthwise and put a filling between the two layers before I froze it.  But, what would work for a filling that would not be counter productive to slicing it frozen and spearing for dipping?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I think any of the filling w/o bulk would work...lemon rasberry, not a strawberry filling as it has the berry bulk...you are on your way...tt are you planning on putting the petit fours in a paper of sorts?...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thought I would look at Michael's.  Teeny cupcake papers if they don't have something specific for these little squares.  When you say lemon raspberry filling, do you mean lemon flavored icing with a strained seedless raspberry jam?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bless you ladies who have the patience to make those beautiful little 3-day cakes.  You must remember to take a picture when those are all done...I can't wait to see!

By the way, what method do you use to dip them so your fingers don't mess up the coating?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Spreading it out over 2-3 days makes it seem easier to me.  I just didn't know how far ahead of time I could make these and still have them delectable on Easter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You spear them with a skewer or fondue fork, then lift off with a fork - it says.

I just hope I don't mess up the little rosebuds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh...forks.  Of course!

Won't they freeze well?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The cake will have already been frozen once, so I would not freeze once frosted.

Icer, don't desert me as far as the filling?  Please explain lemon raspberry?  I don't frost very many things, you know.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Sorry TT..I was thinking either lemon or rasberry filling ..kind of like the lemon filling with a little rasberry in your icing.But I would use whatever you have available

O.k, I would suggest baking your cake in the lasagna pan..remove the cake...fill and freeze...do that on one day...the next day..you could cut the pieces with a sturdy knife..I would probably use a ruler or yardtick to make the cuts really even and straight...When you skewer your petit four try to make this in the center...also if you use the fork for petit four removal make these marks more to the center, this way you can cover your marks with your rosebud

You may want to paper your petit fours soon after making them all nice and coated..It just looks neater I think.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks for your input, Icer.  I think I'll do a poundcake, seems sturdier, the icing recipe I have calls for vanilla and a little almond, white glaze, I guess.  Might look around and see what's used if I want to glaze some chocolate.  I'm leaning more towards raspberry in the middle, because raspberry is my favorite flavor.  Just don't want it to ooze through the sides after it's iced and has thawed.  What do you think of a very thin layer of whoopie pie filling that has been flavored with a bit of raspberry - is there such a thing as raspberry flavoring?  Just thinking out loud now, so you're not going to hurt my feelings if you say, "What???? Where'd you get that idea??"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I feel as tho I'm out here in left field all by myself.

Goodnight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Sorry TT I guess I am a little sporadic....I think that a rasberry jam would work nicely...and provide some color...you spread it thin...that way there will be no oozing after being cut.

Good night to you too!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning!

Well, as Murphey would have it, after 2 months of pronounced limping (that we assumed was muscle strain from continuously falling through the deep snow), Gracie is walking great todaythe day we're going to the vet.  I even filmed her this morning walking out of her crate so the doc could see her limp at its worst, and nothing happened.  So, of course, on one hand I'm happy to not see her limping, but on the other hand, if there really is a problem that is temporarily improved because we've been severely limiting her activity that's going to make it hard to diagnose not to mention make me look nuts for being concerned "for nothing."  But, regardless, off we'll go for our 10 o'clock appointment (in the pouring rain!).  Isn't that always what happens?!

Gasp, I just realized Easter is a week and a half away.  Plans must start coming together here.  Funny thing, though, church is out for me on the holiest day of the Christian calendar because I'm deathly allergic to Easter lilies, and try and find a church without any.

Pingo, all ready for your trip?  Probably just odds and ends to take care of this morning.  Too bad you have to lug your stuff in the rain.  Should be beautiful in TX this time of year, though.  Pack your camera and have a wonderful time!!

~kar

P.S.  I think you can add any extract you want to white whoopie pie filling, tt, and you can make it a little thicker than usual so it doesn't squish out.  Raspberry, vanilla, lemon...  I'd be sure to get natural flavorings, though, not "artificial xyz flavor" - imo it makes a big difference.  

ETA: And, not to keep getting in the middle of this, but I have to agree with Ache when he says he was never out of line racially or with respect to heritage, and he deserves someone who was there at the time going on the record with that.  I thought at the time when she reacted with offense that his comments had to have lost their innocent spirit in translation.  Sarcasm, as I've mentioned, is highly susceptible to misinterpretation and, therefore, has inherent risk of hurt and offense.  Take responsibility for having taken that risk and move on.  I highly doubt saying anything now about it will change or improve anything.  People hear what they hear and feel how they feel about it - no one can tell them they didn't hear it or shouldn't feel how they feel about it.  I'm no different.  No one can tell me I didn't hear what I heard, and I shouldn't feel what I feel about it or I should interpret it some other way.  So, can we please drop it?  Neither of you are going to accept that the other isn't nuts and/or mean-spirited.  And, we can all make up our own minds going forward.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  tt, I'd be more then happy to come over and help you taste the fillings and the cake :) 

Kar, good luch with Gracie's appointment.  Pingo, have a great flight today. How long are you going?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Winter, you're such a good friend, always offering to come over and test taste my goodies!  You remind me of SS in that respect, she's more than willing too!

Maybe, Kargiver, Gracie just had a bad sprain or strain and the rest you've made her take has given it a chance to start healing.  I'm sure the vet will be able to tell what's going on by manipulating her leg a little to see the range of motion, and by feel.  I know, it always seems to be things suddenly get better when it's time for a medical visit.  I think it's a good thing you have this appt. set up tho, you want to know how to proceed so she doesn't injure herself further.

Have to get out for a blood test sometime today, happily not a fasting blood draw - I got up starving this morning.  Have already had my scrambled eggs and Eng. muffin.  Raining here, but not too heavy as yet.  Hope Pingo's flight is an early one that will let them get out and to the airport without the driving rain the TV predicts from time to time this morning.  It won't matter tho, they're headed for a happy time and I've found it doesn't matter what the weather is like when you start out, your thoughts are of the people you're going to see and the good times you going to have.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gosh, tt, I hope you're right about Gracie just having had a bad sprain!  Of course, I'll give a report when we get home.

And, you're so right - by the time you're heading to the airport all your thoughts are on where you're going. :)