April 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: April 2011

Good morning - the sun is out and that's a nice start of the day.

Re last nights dinner. The corn on the cob were really, really good. So sweet. (I butter them, sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on them then bake them covered for 20 minutes at 375.) Your are right, Icer, it was a quick cooking dinner. Unless I have the crockpot going, most of our weekday dinners have to be that way. But there are lots of dinners one can make quickly from scratch - and still have a healthy meal. We never eat earlier than 7 - 7:30. I don't like it, but there is not much I can do to change it. I have a piece of fruit or some carrots w/ hummus, went I get home to carry me over until dinner.
    tt, I checked out that Todd English' recipe with the pork shanks. Boy, did he use a lot of liquid for 4 shanks. 2 bottles of Root Beer, 1 bottle of beer and 2 quarts of water. He must have an enormous roasting pan to be able to contain all that. I bet it must have come out great, but I think I still prefer mine the way I make them with cabbage in my crock pot.
    You all have a good day. Will get back to you later - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

They were the small individual soda pop size bottles of root beer and stout.  Two quarts of water is only 1/2 a gallon - not really much liquid.  I would think it would barely cover the shanks.  Just thought it might have been of interest to Mothermitzi to see a different recipe for preparing them.

Making the lemon bread this morning, and will bring half of that over with the stew and Italian bread.  Otherwise the day is mine.  Nice to start out with a relaxing second cup of coffee this morning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I would say we eat at around 6:30 - 6:45.  I get out of work at 5 and get home at about 5:50 or so..then it's busy cooking. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You can tell it's a leisurely morning, I'm back, camera in  hand - - -

Cheerio's favorite new spot for soaking up the morning sun -

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, love the picture of Cherrio.  I can't wait to get the house a bit more settled and we get a kitty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I'm like you Winter, I don't get home until 6:00 and DD doesn't get home until 6:30, so dinner is normally about 7:30.  But I don't go to bed until 10:00 or 11:00, so all is fine.  tt, just love your pictures of Cheerio and she sure is a ham for the camera!  She is def posing! LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

OMG - this is priceless! tt, you definitely have a kitty with stripes. - P

In Response to Re: April 2011:
    You can tell it's a leisurely morning, I'm back, camera in  hand - - - Cheerio's favorite new spot for soaking up the morning sun -
    Posted by toytrumpet

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just had a call from G.T.  They had the day off and were planning to head down the Cape.  In a restaurant last night, his partner had his cell phone lifted from his pocket.  He realized it almost as soon as it had happened, he and others chased the guy out to the street, but he was long gone.   He cancelled the operation of it immediately, but unfortunately, it's a work cell phone with client info stored, so most of this morning has been spent clearing through security.  Luckily there is a security code number that has to be entered before accessing any of the information.  To top it all off, it's his birthday - - "Happy Birthday to you - - - -"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

That is just awful tt....  and on his Birthday no less!  People are just shameful nowadays.... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Happy birthday, Partner!
    Oh, that is awful. I never understood, why people would steal a cell phone. As soon as one realize it and cancel it, it is of no use to anyone. And these days, with people glued to their CPs - that won't take long.
    Question. Was it really in his pocket or on the table? How would the thief know, he had a phone in his pocket sitting in a restaurant?
    I always yell at DH for leaving his phone carelessly on the table towards the aisle. Please place it near the wall! How much brain does that require?
    Another thing is, that the info on the phone can be downloaded to our computers, so in case we loose the phone, it can easily be retrieved. But do we do this diligently? 
    Despite this mishap, I hope they will have a nice trip to the Cape. It is a great day for it - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

It was one of those moments - he always puts it in his inside jacket pocket, but had been on it a minute or two before and slipped it into his side pocket.  As easy picking as a wallet.

Yeah, I told G.T. I would skip the annual "Happy Birthday" singing call -
    They are still planning on going down, but a damper has been put on the day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh tt, worse thing could have happened. Really! I do hope they get to celebrate his birthday.
    Someone must have observed him using the phone and putting it in that pocket. Otherwise, how would anyone have known. Still, that phone is a piece of "junk" to whoever is having it right now.
    The phone can be replaced, but not the info. Hope for him, that he has it stored somewhere else. Will ask DH to do the same today. Thanks for the wake-up call.
    - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt,that's too bad.  I had a friend who left her cell phone on top of something at work.  Another employee took it and made several international long distance calls before she noticed it missing.  She does not use it very often so it was several hours before service was stopped.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm sure the thief's only interest was to take the memory chip out, pop a new one in and sell it.  Is that how they work?  Like you say, and I reminded G.T., it could have been worse if his wallet was stolen with his personal information.

Just took lemon bread out and gave my son a call to see if he wanted to wait til mid afternoon when the lemon bread would be cool enough to cut and bring too.  Asked at the same time if DIL had opened any of her gifts.  No.  I'm having a hard time understanding, I did tell her the other day that I had tried to pick out things that I thought she would be able to eat.  She saw dr. yesterday and has a clean bill of health to drive and do her regular activities, so feeling ill isn't entering into it.  Trying hard not to take it as a personal affront ("I don't want your gifts")  Don't feel I'm interfering too much, I've only been over there once, and call once a day to see how both are.  Guess my food delivery today will be the last of the cooked/baked offerings.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I believe you are correct tt.  They take the sim card out that has your information, throw it away and take their own and put it in to get it to work.  Unbelievable right?  I would ask your son if there is a reason your DIL has not opened any of the gifts.  I would tell him you are just curious and there are things in her basket you think she would enjoy.  Then see what he says?  It does sound strange to me but there may be a plausable reason?  I do know my feelings would be hurt too. I think your actions have been very loving, so nothing you are doing wrong in my book. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I'm sorry she hasn't opened any of your gifts.  At this point I would have opened all and would be happily waiting for your next food delivery.  :)  Feel free to delivery that lemon bread and stew to my house, we will welcome you with open arms.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I did ask him why on the phone this morning.  His answer, "I don't know."  I told him the same about having tried to pick out things I knew she could eat.  I said, "If she doesn't want them, then maybe she could give them to your dau, because I think they are all things she would eat too.  I've made the lemon bread because I know she loves that, but maybe not.  Will the kids eat it?"  A bit strained at the end there.  Definitely time to bow out.  Who knows what goes on in another person's mind.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I'm with Winter tt.  I would love to have your lemon bread and stew!  Sometimes my DD can be very inconsiderate or short with me too and I don't understand it.  I told her that one day when she has kids, she will become as stupid as me that I didn't know I lost brain cells in birth...  LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

One last comment on the subject:  You walk a very thin line when you are a mother-in-law.  Remember that girls with your MILs, and tuck it in the back of your mind for when your turn comes to step in those shoes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

An addendum:  I have found a way to wrap my mind around it -
    I gave those gifts with the best of intentions as a thoughtful gesture -
    That's all I'm responsible for.
    I have no control or responsibility for the way they are or are not received.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Wonderful way to think of it tt.  I will have to keep that in the back of my mind if that happens to me..  And it was a loving and thoughtful gesture to be sure..  What a wonderful Mom you are!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mothermitzi. Show mothermitzi's posts

I have a free minute - rare these days.  Going to type quickly in case my post disappears.  I won't retype anymore. Trying to keep up with all of you and please know you are in my thoughts.

Thanks very much for letting me know about the cooking show tt.  I have a laptop now and can watch shows I like instead of whatever the hotel cable offers.  I'm now staying in an efficiency hotel and will be here until June 1.  Saw the picture of Cheerio - wonderful shot.  I miss my cats so and wish I could have them here, but it's not possible. My wonderful neighbors are feeding them during the week and my daughter goes on the weekends if I don't travel back.  Glad your son came through the operation ok.  Sorry about the DIL gift issue.  Who knows what that is about, but I really think it's rude and you have every right to feel hurt.  I was very lucky with my dear MIL.  Sadly, she is still living but doesn't recognize any of us now.  Being a MIL, you walk a fine line indeed.  Have a great relationship with my SIL but my DIL and I still eye each other a bit suspiciously, even after fifteen years.  However, I swing with it and always keep my mouth shut.

pingo, have a wonderful trip to Texas if I don't get to post again for awhile.  I wish you were bringing a pecan pie and hermits to New York! Safe travels.

mothermitzi

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good to hear from you, Mothermitzi.  Sorry you're tied up in NY so long.  It's hard to be away from the comfort of your own surroundings, no matter how nice the place may be.  Take care of you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

beastsgirl/pumpsygreen: When you see this message, could you email me at community@boston.com -- I have some questions for you to try to clear up this screen name mystery. Thanks!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

mothermitzy,
    I know you have a hard time to check in with us much - so it was such a gift to hear from you.
    How can your company do this to US - keeping you in that crazy city for such long? I know, you are such a dedicated employee - wish there were more like you. (Well, I do have some.)
    I am sure you must be worried about your kitties and especially your Dad. Good you have wonderful neighbors and such luck, that your daughter moved to town.
    I will be missing hearing of your walk along the Charles and the games in Lynnfield you go to with your Dad. I am sure you will be missing Harrow's Chicken-Pot-Pie as well.
    Please check in with us whenever you can. You are so missed here - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts