April 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Re: April 2011

Good morning all.  It's been a long time since I've posted, but I have been keeping up with all of your "goings on."  I hope Kar is having a wonderful time in Palm Beach.

TT, try not to take your DILs actions to heart.  We all know you have the best of intentions.  I am very lucky to have a wonderful, caring MIL like you.

Things on my end have been kind of dicey, but I won't bore you with the details.  It's so nice to be able to read all of your posts though and keep up with all of your goings on!

Hope you all have a great day, take care.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Princess

Just clicked on the computer and was so glad to see a post from you.  Frankly, I thought you had left us by the wayside.  I think of you whenever I go to Costco and see Peter.  I hope the reason we haven't heard from you isn't because of your health.  Truer things were never said than,  "we don't realize how important good health is, until we don't have it."

Looks like a beautiful morning out there.  This is truly a free day for me, don't have any place I have to go, or anything I have to do.  Maybe I can finally polish up the house a bit, I like to see everything gleaming.  Then this afternoon I'm going to have to try to catch a catnap - Real Housewives of NYC starts it season tonight, 10:00-11:00, and that's past my usual bedtime.  That's the only one of that series that I do enjoy.  A couple of the less popular members of that cast have been making appearances this week on different shows.  I suppose to show them in a different light and work up some interest and likeability for their parts in the show.  Happened to fall upon the model's, the one who had the breakdown on the "girls trip", showing "her" SoHo.  She seemed normal enough on that, but boy on the show she doesn't make much sense.  Also caught the last 5 minutes of Luanne on "The Talk" as I clicked on for "Dr. Phil".  It should be an interesting season.

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts on DIL.  Passive, aggressive, I guess would be the term.

Time for my breakfast.  Cheerio has been fed but is waiting for me to get the milk out and pour some in her saucer - she's lying right across the doorway, waiting to start talking and run ahead and in and out of my feet as I go back to the kitchen!  I keep telling her, one of these days she'll trip me up and then, where will she be!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone.  I wasn't expecting ice on the windshield this morning, but as I got to work it seems to have turned quite nice.  tt, how did the stew and lemon bread go over with your son and DIL? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"tt, love the picture of Cherrio.  I can't wait to get the house a bit more settled and we get a kitty."

Winter, be forewarned - G.T. is finding out with his kittens - they need to "scratch".  Why they always go for the furniture, I don't know, but you may have a time at first.  They got a scratching board that hangs from the doorknob, but I think they're going to have to invest in a good sturdy upright scratching post.  Norma goes for the upholstered chair (thank heavens not the leather sofas!) and Desmond prefers the rug!  They're little mischief makers too, you know, they came home to an overturned lamp with a broken lampshade last week.  Right now when the guys are at work the "kids" are confined to the den, a large room on the second floor.  I can't imagine the havoc they would raise if they had the run of the downstairs where the "good stuff" is.  I'm actually dying to get my hands on them at Easter, they look so adorable from their pictures.

"tt, how did the stew and lemon bread go over with your son and DIL?"

You know, I never mentioned it when I went in.  I just handed her the bag and asked her how she had made out at the doctors.  She took it into the kitchen, my son said "thanks, Ma", and we proceeded on to other subjects.  The basket was nowhere to be seen and neither it nor it contents were mentioned. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

"Ahhhh - that sun feels sooo good on my belly and neck this morning - - "

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

What an awesome picture tt.  Yes I'm a bit worried about the new furniture and my dining room set but I think I'll get one of those stand up scratchers from the get go.  We are only getting one kitten though so hopefully it won't be so bad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: April 2011:
    [QUOTE]"Ahhhh - that sun feels sooo good on my belly and neck this morning - - "
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

Your Cheerio really loves that ironing board!  8)

Makes me think I should get mine out, but then, my little monsters don't deserve such an exalted perch.   (One of them is a big sweet meatloaf, but the other is a holy terror!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pictures??
    P.S.  Cats DO deserve exalted spaces, they love to be up high.  Had one who used to jump from a table to the top of a door, and balance, teeter tottering there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Winter, just got an email from G.T. - the first scratch in a leather sofa - - - he is not a happy camper.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning all,
    Cheerio has definitely found "a place on the beach". So cute.
    I am sorry tt, that your DIL did not own up to your loving graciousness. But  you know, you did what your heart felt was right (take a look at my footnote line) - and that is what matters more.
    I am also anxious to hear, how the Beef Stew went over, since your Dil do not eat meat.
    I have to say, I am also guilty to send "stuff" my son loves but know my DIL do not eat/like. I feel though, as a mother I have a right to do so. I always try to include something for her as well. But you are right, tt, the lines of MIL/DIL relations are so very thin.
    We do have our moments. I try to do my best to stay neutral, but it is very difficult at times. Since the start of humanity, this is nothing new. - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I never go over with just something for son.  Always include something for DIL and kids.  I had baked a lemon bread (which she professes to love) and brought that with.  DIL does not eat anything much except potatoes, squash, crackers, hence the items I had picked out for her from Trader Joe's for the basket:  squash soup, gnocchi, water crackers, peppermint tea - - BUT, if she refuses to open the gifts even after I told her I had put some things in there I thought she would be able to eat and enjoy - - - - it's just backfiring on her.  Don't get me started - it's a beautiful day and I want to keep it that way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, from reading your posts, I know you are a loving and gracious MIL. If this DIL do not pick up on that, it is her loss. - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pretty in the noonday sun - a little bit of Irish shamrock and Irish doll

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, that was one of the reasons we did not buy a leather sofa.  I didn't want kitty to get to it.  We got a microfiber one.  Jordan's did call and we are going to try to have the living room set delivered next Saturday.  We have a weding to go to this Saturday so that's not going to work.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

That will be nice.  You'll have it in place for Easter.  Are you hosting Easter this year?  Probably too much with your knee.  How is that coming along, btw.  Do you see an improvement week to week?  Son said there is a big improvement in his shoulder pain from a week ago when he had it done.  He's doing too much tho.  Really supposed to keep it pretty much immobilized in a sling from what I understand.  It's in the sling, but I see him keep trying to use that hand.  When I called before going over yesterday, he was doing the dishes!  Hopefully doctor today will clarify just what he can do without undoing the work that's been done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Yes we should have it next Saturday or Monday.  I won't be hosting Easter, DH's family goes out so we will go there.  I usually host Christmas but didn't this year because of my knee.  We hope to host something for the Fourth of July to show everyone the house and the pool.  The knee is coming along.  The swelling has gone down some, but I can still notice it.  I have to go to a wedding this Saturday and still need to wear the heels...oh well not a big deal since I bought sparkly opened toed shoes for the cruise. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

A 4th of July barbecue sounds terrific.  A chance to show your new home and pool, and it's relaxed and casual.  I know you'll have a wonderful summer.  I'm excited for you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

yes that's what we thought.  There is also a huge Fourth of July parade near us and DH's family all goes so we thought we could host something before the parade so everyone can eat and relax beforehand.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Sounds great.  Have you had a chance to meet any of your neighbors yet?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Hi Everyone.  Cheerio just looks so content there on her ironing board, TT.  I admire your efforts with DS and DIL.  You are so generous, both in your gifts and yoru thoughfulness.  They are both lucky to have you, althought they may not realize or appreciate it. 

Winter, I'm excited for your furniture to arrive so you can finally be settled into your new home.  A kitty will be such a fun addition. How are DS and DH adjusting to living together?  I remeber that transition period and hope yours goes smoothly. I will keep and eye out for my 4th of July invite, and will bring my own towel.

AFM - would you believe my new couch tore already?  It did, along the seam.  But, I called last week and they came out today and fixed it right then and there.  I am now even more impressed with Bernie and Phyl's.  Now, if only they'd stop those stupid ads!

When does Kar come back?  I thought for some reason she was back yesterday, but I must have mixed it up.  Did she go for a whole week as opposed to an extended weekend?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I think she is due to come back sometime today.  Hope she has had wonderful weather.

Thanks for the kind words re DIL.  There's 2 sides to every story, so I'm sure in some way she feels threatened by me, or - could it be - just doesn't like me!  Oh well, we'll manage.  My son is too good a soul to be put in the middle of a wife/mother struggle.

Good to hear you got a quick response regarding your torn couch.  Those things happen, sometimes a seam is stitched too close to the edge.

Seems, even to me, that I have been on these boards all day, but surprisingly, I did get a lot done - bathroom cleaned, kitchen and hall floors washed, bed changed, l.r. dry mopped and cushions turned and plumped.  Going out tomorrow on a belated birthday lunch, so wanted certain things done before I'm picked up.  I had another bowl of the stew tonight and as always with a stew or soup, it tasted even better the 2nd day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

Sounds like a very productive day, TT. You will surely be able to enjoy your lunch tomorrow.  Is it Finz rescheduled?

I hear you on some things just tasting better the second day. I always make my lasagne a day or two before I actually want to eat it and then reheat. DH is out to dinner with a cousin tonight, and there is a piece of last night's meatloaf waiting for me in the fridge. ANother yummy leftover! I'll do that with a baked potato and some green beans. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I love meatloaf but hardly ever make one, so many leftovers to freeze when you're cooking for just one.

No, tomorrow is not Finz, that's the end of the month and is not a birthday celebration, just 4 of us girls who used to work together.  Am looking forward to that tho.  My cousin and I haven't been able to connect, so we're hoping tomorrow nothing will stand in our way for a lunch together.

(Do I dare say that I've not had any trouble on BDC today????  It may just be because there's been so little activity "layer upon layer" that Dottie talked about, or, could it have anything to do with cleaning out my cookies?  Don't know, but it was nice to just be able to scroll and post again.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Novembride. Show Novembride's posts

If you happen by Christmas Tree Shop, they sell the small loaf pans.  I usually do single serve banana breads in them, but I'm sure they could work for a small meatloaf. I've never done, but now that I think of it, that would make a nice presentation of single serve meatloaves, especially since everyone in my house seems to want the "ends". Then you could freeze the extra ground beef, or use it in another recipe. 

I'm glad you had a good day scrolling and posting.  Hope it keeps up.  Pleasant evening friends.  I am signing off.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, please feel sorry for good old me! Reading about all there second day dinners and leftovers and freezer and refrigerator, makes me feel even more upset.
    My side-by-side freezer/refrigerator went on the blink sometimes during the night. I woke up to a puddle of water on my kitchen floor this morning. Wiped it up, didn't think any of it - except DH may have spilled some water.
    Came home and just spend 1/2 hour mopping up a floor of water. Ice cubes were melting. Just took a break.
    Now I have to empty my freezer. Not looking forward to it. It shows 40 degrees in there, so I will try to save some of it by having a "cooking competition" tonight, while DH is playing his tennis. But most of it has to go.
    Fortunately, I have a larger freezer in my pantry, where I store my meat and other expensive stuff. This kitchen ref./freezer is for everyday use. But I still hate to throw out so much good stuff.
    I don't know what it will cost to replace it. Big bucks I guess. It is a built-in one, and they don't come cheap. We had it overhauled some years ago, and that was not cheap either. Sorry about my vent.

November, I do small loaf pans for my meat loaves all the time, and they come out great. Most recipes call for 2 lbs of meat - too must for a normal size family. But I have also cut my leftover meat loaf in slices and frozen them individually (cut, place parchment paper in btw slices and freeze) and they have always come out very nice. In fact, I think I may have a few slices in my "dead" freezer.
    Winter, what a wonderful house warming party you will have on the 4th. Just the right way to do it. Casual and fun.
    Kargiver should be on her way home. Hope we will see some great pictures from her trip.
    Oh well, have to go and take care of all the spoiled stuff. Not happy to do so, but it has to be done - Pingo