April 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: April 2011

Just came in to shut the computer off and saw your post, Pingo.  So sorry for the mess you're in.  I think when refrigerator or a hot water tank goes, it's the worst mess to take care of.  Lucky that you have a second freezer for anything you can salvage.  Hang in there - tomorrow will be a better day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Router trouble here..be back on Sat

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning,

Catnap or not, I stayed up to watch Real housewives of NYC - what a disappointment.  Shut it off halfway through and went to bed.  Loved that show last season, maybe it will get better as it goes along.

I imagine today you'll be scouting for a new fridge, pingo.  Hope you got the rest of your food cooked and salvaged without too much more aggrevation, and that there's not too much of a wait for delivery of a new one.

I started something with my tree cutting, I guess, people on other side of me had a couple cut down in back of their property.  I was hoping they'd take one in particular that sits on the corner of our properties, but guess they figure if it falls, it will fall my way.  My tree cutting money is gone, now I have to think again of the roof.  Put that off last fall and luckily had no problems, even with all the ice backed up.  Reminder call from one of the roofing companies (the one with the guy with the bandy legs!) last night.  Just call him when I'm ready, he says.

Was surprised to see frost on the feeder this morning.  I'll have to listen to the TV weather before I get dressed to go out, thought it was supposed to be really warm temps for a stretch now.  Have a good day everyone.

P.S.  "50's" is what I heard the temps will get to, as I shared crumbs of my piece of lemon bread with Cheerio.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Yes,tt, - I will be looking for a new freezer/refrigerator. It will not be much scouting, since it is built in and we do not have much of a choice. Already looked at the net - will be in the vicinity of $6000.
    But it will have to wait until we get back from Texas. With the few days left before we leave, we just don't have the time. Fortunately I have a large freezer in the pantry and DH will bring up his small refrigerator, we have downstairs for soft drinks and beer for the tennis players. So I will be ok for a few days. Unfortunately we will have house guests as soon as we get back from TX, but what can I do? I was planning of doing a few cook-ahead dishes, but that plan is scratched. We will have a lot of pasta dishes with jarred tomato sauce. LOL

We definitely have a lot more birds now. The sunflower seeds in the hanging feeder goes fast. Have to fill it every other day again. Every time we think of disconnecting the heated birth bath, we get a couple of cold nights - like last night. It felt really cold out this morning. But the weekend is supposed to be nice and warm.

Enjoy the day, all. Hopefully we will hear from Kargiver today - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Good morning ladies,

Pingo I feel your pain, what a mess!  I remember having my washing machine break down in the middle of the rinse cycle. Tub totally filled. Spent forever bailing it out and trying to squeeze the clothes.  Horrible.. I hope replacing it doesn't set you back too much.  Went out to dinner last night with DD and got home in time to relax and watch Real Housewives of NY, but alas fell asleep about 10 minutes into it.  I will catch up when they repeat it.  tt, I will be curious how the nutty one will be this season.  She was a bit scary last year and I do think she has some mental issues.  Nice to have someone who likes that show too :)  I watch all of them actually.  I heard the temps may hit 80 on Monday.  Nice!  Too bad it won't be on the weekend, but a warm day is something to look forward to.  November what a great idea with the loaf pans, will have to look for them.  DD is getting her own place May 2nd, so I will be back to cooking for one, which is not easy.  I want an invite to the pool party too! LOL!  I loved it when I had my pool, so much fun. Well, back to work and I hope everyone has a great day.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo just seen how much that will cost you.  $6,000!!  Wow....  I hope you had it a long time as it seems things do not last like they use to.  I had a refridgerator my MIL bought us when I got married and I had it for 14 years.  I only got rid of it because it was yellow (remember when that color was popular : )  and didn't go with my other appliances when I moved.  When I had my house, my fridge only lasted 7 years, same with washer and dryer.  The upside of renting is if my fridge, dishwasher, washer dryer and microwave go wrong, the landlord is reponsible.  They are very nice too, love my fridge, it is a stainless steal side by side.  Love the look of the stainless steal, but a pain to clean. Ok, I'm rambling : )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Oh, Amber, you'll be an empty nester.  Has DD ever lived out on her own before?  Oh my gosh, I remember when the last of my boys got his own place.  I thought I was handling it well, but tears would just flow at any moment.  It seemed as tho the house was haunted with sounds of all their laughter and music.  - Well, now that I've thoroughly depressed you! -- I can also tell you that she'll probably spend almost as much time back there, except for sleeping, as before.  Mealtime especially seem to draw them!  Funny story regarding that.  Son who just had shoulder surgery does all the cooking (because he likes to), and has 3 children.  One has just gotten her Masters and has her own place, but, lots of times stops  by for "take outs" of whatever they're having for supper, to bring back to her place.  When her father was home a day or two after the surgery, she stopped by one night with some meatballs she had made and said, "You're always cooking for me, so I thought I would make you some meatballs."  I'm sure my son teared up inside, and then she gave him a package and said, "I bought you an electric can opener so you can still make my suppers nights"!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Good morning everyone!  Well the living room set can't be delivered until the 23rd that's the first Saturday they have available...oh well at least we know when it's coming.  Pingo, what a mess you came home too.  I hope you can find a replacement for cheaper then $6000.  Novem, sorry your couch tore but that's great that it was fixed so quickly.  The transition with us all living together was easier than I thought it would be.  tt, you seem like a great mom and MIL, I'm sure it is appreciated.  I like that your grand daughter brought your son some food.  Amber, I'm sure your daughter will be over to visit more then you think she will :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

tt, that story is so funny!  DD has moved out before, the first time was when she was 21.  It was very hard but then I realized she was coming over on Saturdays to do laundry and then would come over on Sundays to "visit" which meant I am starving, what are you cooking. LOL!  She has been back and forth in the last few years.  Tough on them today with the cost of apartments, so she usually has to get roommates and that hasn't always worked out well.  So she found a really cute, very small, 1 bedroom apartment that should be affordable to her.  But we are very close and she loves my cooking, so she has already told me she wants Sunday dinners.  I made my gravy with meatballs and sausages last weekend and froze individual bowls that I will give her along with boxes of pasta.  I am starting a care package for her : )  So I def want to pick up the small loaf pans as she loves my meatloaf and that is something she can cook and she loves cold meatloaf sandwiches like me.  But I do get use to her living with me and I love her company, so it will be an adjustment for sure again. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Before I forget, I have never used the small loaf pans, because I don't know how long to cook the meatloaf (or bread) in them.  How do you judge the baking time with those pans?

Wake up call - getting dressed this morning put on a top another DIL had given me for my birthday - at first, I took it off and thought, Oh, boy, this is going to have to be returned, must be one of those stretchy material combinations, that I don't wear due to my "plumpness".  When I checked the tag, no, it's 100% cotton from the usual mfgr I buy - - Holy moly, my middle isn't hidden like it is with those 2 layer turtleneck/sweat shirt tops!  I'd better get diet conscious in a hurry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: those little loaf pans. You can get them as well at most grocery stores. But you can also form several small loaves and place them on one large baking pan, not using the loaf pans. If I remember correctly, I bake mine at 350 degrees for about 40 - 45 minutes. But I always use an instant meat thermometer to test for doneness (is that a word?). - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt, I use the litte loaf pans for my banana bread during the holidays and I usually start to check it with a tooth pick at around 30-35 minutes. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, guys.  I've always been intimidated by using them because it seemed as tho the baking time would be so much less.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Decided to wear the "top" - it will make me stand up straighter, and stop and think before I order dessert after lunch today! (I am wearing a jacket to the pant suit, and that can always hide a multitude of sins if I weaken - after all, it is supposed to be a birthday celebration!)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good morning, Chatters!!  Missed you all so much, and while I'm not exactly caught up I did see your warm wishes for our trip and safe return, thank you! We got home at about 7:30 last night, totally bushed - we need a vacation, LOL!  Worcester was OK; it's only 35 minutes from our house as opposed to 1.5 hours to any other area airport.

Florida and their condo was spectacular.  We all had a great time.  Beach, pool, cookout, out to dinner, horseback riding, and just hanging out and visiting.  Their condo is on the corner of the building, and has all glass outside walls, floor to ceiling, the intercoastal waterway to the West, the Atlantic to the East, the road that goes between them to the North.  Balconies all around.  So, every bedroom has one glass wall.  DH's parents and two uncles live in the same building so we all got together a few times, too.

BUT, so glad to be HOME!!  Love our KING waterbed. :)  And, of course, Gracie is back with us, sooooo happy!

Pics later.  I've got pages to catch up on, too.  The pics of Cheerio are so adorable - now, to teach her how to iron...

Blessings,
    ~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Welcome back Kar!  You were missed and sounds like you had a great time.  Would love a condo like that for sure!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Glad you had such a good time, Kargiver.  Does the soul good to have a change of scenery and pace.

Still thinking of possibly denying myself dessert today, and have come up with my own slogan for the day:

What's a birthday celebration without a glass of chardonnay and a rich dessert?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I say go for it tt...

Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Welcome back Kar, seems like a great time was had on the trip.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Amber, do I ever remember that "Harvest Yellow" - it was THE thing to get, when we moved into our second house. I think we were sold on the house, as it had up-to-date appliances: Harvest Yellow. Ugh! (But better than the brown ones at the time.)
    I have Black Front appliances, they are just as bad as the stainless steel ones. And I am a person, that hates finger prints on anything.
    Somehow good news re: freezer/fridge. DH went up on the ladder to check, what was going on. The fan was not working. He started to disconnect it, and lo-and-behold the darn thing started to run. Just hope that is the problem. Checking the temps periodically. Will take a while for it to cool down, if it is actually working. So, I am crossing my fingers. If we need a new fan, it is easy to replace.
    You are so right. Appliances, does not last as they used to anymore. We bought our first washer and dryer in 1970. Kenmore label. We moved them in 1975. When we build and moved here, a nephew took them along with our refrigerator. All of them are still working. - Pingo

In Response to Re: April 2011:
    [QUOTE]Pingo just seen how much that will cost you.  $6,000!!  Wow....  I hope you had it a long time as it seems things do not last like they use to.  I had a refridgerator my MIL bought us when I got married and I had it for 14 years.  I only got rid of it because it was yellow (remember when that color was popular : )  and didn't go with my other appliances when I moved.  When I had my house, my fridge only lasted 7 years, same with washer and dryer.  The upside of renting is if my fridge, dishwasher, washer dryer and microwave go wrong, the landlord is reponsible.  They are very nice too, love my fridge, it is a stainless steal side by side.  Love the look of the stainless steal, but a pain to clean. Ok, I'm rambling : )
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Glad to see your post, Kar. Hoping for some more, when you have unpacked, done the laundry and played with Gracie.
    tt, I would "go for it " too. You deserve it --- but then again, there is that new cotton top, your DIL gave you. Hm! Maybe you should place it on a very conspicuous place, so you see it all day long. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I will keep my fingers crossed for you Pingo!  My fridge, microwave and dishwasher are all stainless steel, but my stove is black and it absolutely is as bad as the stainless steel.  I have to clean the appliances and then I windex them.  Double the work.  Looks so nice though when you are done.  I do hope the yellow, green and brown doesn't make a comeback, but bet you dollars to donuts it will eventually : )

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, everyone!

tt, go for it.  I'll diet for you - I gained 3 lbs on vaca, and it was worth every bite.  Now, must undo the damage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I was trying to think what my previous appliances were - I had the black front stove and dishwasher, white fridge, I imagine.  The stove that came with the house was a stainless steel pull out range top, and the oven was on top.  Small kitchen so they had put that in.  Lasted a long time.  Liked it because it left a good size cabinet below for storage, and storage is something this kitchen has little of.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Amber,
    Thank you, Amber.
    I feel for you with the black cook top. I tried every product on the market, but finally found a wonderful product, that cleans it in one sweep. Spray, let sit for a few seconds; remove solid baked on spills with a plastic scraper then wipe off. It is called: "Krut Kutter". You can get it a HD. For the rest of my appliances, kitchen counters and other cleaning I use "Methods". Just LOVE their products.
    I especially love their "Tub'n Tile" cleaner. Spray on, then wipe off - no scrubbing. They are non-toxic (no need to wear gloves and goggles) and biodegradable. You can order them on line, but some grocery stores carry them and so does Target. Their prices are comparable to other cleaning products. But they do the job the first time, so you actually use less.
    And no, I don't own stocks in the company. LOL
    - Pingo

In Response to Re: April 2011:
    [QUOTE]I will keep my fingers crossed for you Pingo!  My fridge, microwave and dishwasher are all stainless steel, but my stove is black and it absolutely is as bad as the stainless steel.  I have to clean the appliances and then I windex them.  Double the work.  Looks so nice though when you are done.  I do hope the yellow, green and brown doesn't make a comeback, but bet you dollars to donuts it will eventually : )
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]